Women's Euro 2022

2 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

Been to about 4 England women's games and there is also a Mexican wave. I find it so disrespectful.

Wants booing when they start,  also the phone lights with chants of “watch the game FFS”

wait…..and another THWACK 8-⚽️ unbelievable, or as David Coleman would have said “Truly remarkable.”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Yeah fair point. Seen one at every game so far, personally think it's the family friendly-ness of it. It's a bit sanitised but if people are enjoying it personally think no harm done.

Probably not and it is definitely a different sort of crowd so I shouldn't assume the normal rules apply.

They are probably doing it in a supportive way, not realising what it has traditionally meant.

2 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

I fear for Northern Ireland. How will semi-professional players cope with this?

Northern Ireland looked like they've never seen a football against Norway last week.

I expect double figures after that just now.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, scram said:

Might be rhetorical but these comments don't help either

Totally agree.

However, you have said similar, if not worse in the past about the women's game, so I'm glad that you are now refraining from posting those types of messages now.

I distinctly remember you saying that you'd find it interesting to see how well the women's team would fare against mens teams an that you thought that women would be county level. 

That's not helpful either, but you do appear to have changed your view or at least stopped comparing it to the mens game in order to pull it down. Fair play.

• Haha 1

On 09/07/2022 at 08:28, Bannofan said:

I think once you start looking at it as a different game from the mens, then it becomes more enjoyable and 'palatable '.

it’s all well and good thinking of it as a different game until the BBC do something like this and it’s immediately compared to, and placed alongside, the mens game 

EEA89D6E-035B-4CE8-9C1D-1376163790E8.jpeg.a70c188cf92226cbfe7757871a9a451c.jpeg

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Miffed said:

it’s all well and good thinking of it as a different game until the BBC do something like this and it’s immediately compared to, and placed alongside, the mens game 

EEA89D6E-035B-4CE8-9C1D-1376163790E8.jpeg.a70c188cf92226cbfe7757871a9a451c.jpeg

So what? What does it actually matter, really?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Some weird ass opinions in this thread...Like some people are waiting to jump on the whole thing and tell you 'I told you so' if they step out of line.

It's a game that's still developing and we have a great set-up compared to some countries in the world.  What else do you need to know?

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, markg said:

Totally agree.

However, you have said similar, if not worse in the past about the women's game, so I'm glad that you are now refraining from posting those types of messages now.

I distinctly remember you saying that you'd find it interesting to see how well the women's team would fare against mens teams an that you thought that women would be county level. 

That's not helpful either, but you do appear to have changed your view or at least stopped comparing it to the mens game in order to pull it down. Fair play.

With respect i've actually been involved in a womens vs mens (youths) game

And i have stopped comparing because you simply cannot

Strange that in all the positive and informed content i have posted about the womens game you choose to pull me up on stuff from years ago

Yeah i made some ignorant comments - and strangely the truth of those comment s holds today

I did that rare thing and educated myself by getting involved and learning - and i learned a lot

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, markg said:

So what? What does it actually matter, really?

im not sure …. Does it matter?

Maybe that’s the point im making for the sake of debate. Plenty of people have been criticised in this thread for comparing the standard to the mens game, yet the BBC constantly compare it to the mens game 

19 minutes ago, Miffed said:

im not sure …. Does it matter?

Maybe that’s the point im making for the sake of debate. Plenty of people have been criticised in this thread for comparing the standard to the mens game, yet the BBC constantly compare it to the mens game 

Yes, I don't know why they play up the whole 'White chasing Rooney's record' thing.

Just invites the inevitable comparison between the two achievements. Which is a bit unfair on Ellen White in my opinion

31 minutes ago, The Wall said:

Yes, I don't know why they play up the whole 'White chasing Rooney's record' thing.

Just invites the inevitable comparison between the two achievements. Which is a bit unfair on Ellen White in my opinion

I can understand why they do it , there will be people watching women's football for the first time. By putting it into that context it will help those new to women's football understand exactly what a giant of the game Ellen White is.