Women's Euro 2022

14 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Possibly the single most stupid post i've read on here i obviously didn't mean that and anyone reading my post unless being totally obtuse would get that 

You make an ignorant and ill informed comment and get called out for it.

Admit you made a stupid post and we move on.

Edited by Quickly Kevin

England are playing solid. Holding formation. Pressing when necessary,  they look like a "propper " football team if that makes sense. Just shows what the underfunded womens game can become and the potential it has. This is coming from someone who used to laugh at the women's game. I stand corrected and apologise for my previous views . 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kilnhurstowl said:

England are playing solid. Holding formation. Pressing when necessary,  they look like a "propper " football team if that makes sense. Just shows what the underfunded womens game can become and the potential it has. This is coming from someone who used to laugh at the women's game. I stand corrected and apologise for my previous views . 

Deffo, can see how fast it is growing. It was only 10 or so years ago a fair few keepers looked suspect. They look so much more solid now, even keepers from like NI tonight (even though she looks shattered lol).

6 hours ago, Quickly Kevin said:

You’ve taken a tongue in cheek comment as gospel. Embarrassing really.

The women’s game still hasn’t got professional status in many established countries throughout Europe.

The womens Serie A will go pro for the 22/23 season. So all things said and done, there’s still huge amounts of work to do.

34 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

You’ve taken a tongue in cheek comment as gospel. Embarrassing really.

The women’s game still hasn’t got professional status in many established countries throughout Europe.

The womens Serie A will go pro for the 22/23 season. So all things said and done, there’s still huge amounts of work to do.

I agree that it was right for him to pull him up on it.

Saying it’s been professional for 100 minutes was disrespectful, especially given women weren’t able to play professionally through no fault of their own. He also admitted he knew nothing about it. 

Yes, he clearly was being flippant when he said 100 minutes, but it was still incredibly disrespectful  and sneering 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Quickly Kevin said:

what was ignorant about supporting the girls div

and i used a wildly inaccurate time difference to illustrate the point 

Just admit your stupid post and we move on

10 hours ago, markg said:

Saying it’s been professional for 100 minutes was disrespectful, especially given women weren’t able to play professionally through no fault of their own. He also admitted he knew nothing about it. 

Yes, he clearly was being flippant when he said 100 minutes, but it was still incredibly disrespectful  and sneering 

How was any part of my post disrespectful 

The fact that women weren't allowed to be professional has no bearing whatever on the point i was making 

For the antis amongst our fellow posters which you seem to have placed me with they usually start any discussion about Womens football with " its not up to the standard of the mens game " or variation on the a similar theme 

My 100 minutes analogy was a simple way to illustrate the disparity in time that the forms ( Womens football and mens football ) have been at a professional level so to expect the Womens game to be at that level is stupid plus add in all the vast investment into men compared to the womens game and it just amplifies the stupidity of that stance 

If while being a fan of the womens game but also being realistic about its level but understanding the the reasons behind that is being disrespectful then fine ..............i don't see that and it wasn't meant to be but i think its a fairly obtuse reading of my posts 

Spoiler

10 hours ago, CalmJimmers said:

Anybody saying the women's game lacks quality, look at Russo's goal for the 4th.

What a touch.

If that was aimed my way i have never said the womens game lacks quality and don't believe that in any way 

and i agree with you 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, markg said:

What part of the Women’s Serie A will turn professional for the first time for the 2022/23 season are you struggling to understand? The major leagues in Europe are still only just turning professional. It wasn’t a flippant point at all.

He was right. The women’s game has made incredible steps forward over the last few years. You’re the one doing the game an injustice by trying to pretend it’s somewhere it’s not.

Constant comparisons to their male counterparts is counter productive for everyone. What people should be doing is getting behind their country and, enjoying what’s shaping up to be a terrific tournament.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CalmJimmers said:

Anybody saying the women's game lacks quality, look at Russo's goal for the 4th.

What a touch.

I don’t think the average fan realises how difficult that touch is to execute. It was perfection. 

The most telling difference in the level of the game is the technique for me. We have technically gifted players in abundance now. 

• Like 2