Women's Euro 2022

11 minutes ago, 1867owl said:

Only if you're determined to patronise these women and pretend something is what it definitely isn't.

Anyway I won't derail the thread any further - enjoy the tournament guys, and please post any goalkeeping howlers in here 👍

Grow up.

People are trying to enjoy it and get behind it, because they have friends/family/colleagues that play, and want to try and support it.

I'm going with my niece on Saturday, she's in primary school, I'm hoping she loves it and that opinions like yours are nowhere near it.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, 1867owl said:

Ah top man - nice one. Haven't seen that for f*cking ages - absolutely timeless footage that is 😂

Cheers for posting mate - brilliant.

ah your just another sh@tposter trying to make a name on Owlstalk.

Defending your right to be a disrespectful c...nt by pretending to be honest..

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Despite what I said earlier, I've actually received some last min comps for the Netherlands V Sweden game tomorrow at 8pm 😄

If anybody would like these I have 4 spare for the Kop. Just DM me your email address and full name and I'll send the print at home tickets across to you.

• Like 1

Only problem i've noticed recently in womens football is the disparity of talent  With the formation of the womens super league teams like Arsenal, Chelsea, Manu and Man City are just hoovering up all the top talent.  Whilst teams like West Brom, Sunderland etc will simply be left behind.  

There's a massive gap in talent between the top teams and non-professional teams such as Northern Ireland.   Like it used to be in the mens world cups/euros.

• Like 3

I think once you start looking at it as a different game from the mens, then it becomes more enjoyable and 'palatable '.

The teams are becoming more evenly matched , and it's been acknowledged that the Euro qualifiers with their regular double figure victories set the game back and needs restructuring. 

England were the worse I've seen them in a few years, I think nerves and playing in front of a huge crowd played a part.

Spain were very good yesterday,  you can tell by the speed of play and fitness of players that they are all professionals. 

Northern Ireland have done amazingly well to be in the Euros, and the hope is that they don't get humilated. Them being there is reminiscent of Zaire in the '74 World Cup, or similar when double figure scores happened in the finals of the mens game. 

Personally,  I'm taking my daughter to Netherlands v Switzerland at the Stain a week on Sunday..be good for her to see some real positive role models in a nice , friendly atmosphere.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

I think once you start looking at it as a different game from the mens, then it becomes more enjoyable and 'palatable '.

The teams are becoming more evenly matched , and it's been acknowledged that the Euro qualifiers with their regular double figure victories set the game back and needs restructuring. 

England were the worse I've seen them in a few years, I think nerves and playing in front of a huge crowd played a part.

Spain were very good yesterday,  you can tell by the speed of play and fitness of players that they are all professionals. 

Northern Ireland have done amazingly well to be in the Euros, and the hope is that they don't get humilated. Them being there is reminiscent of Zaire in the '74 World Cup, or similar when double figure scores happened in the finals of the mens game. 

Personally,  I'm taking my daughter to Netherlands v Switzerland at the Stain a week on Sunday..be good for her to see some real positive role models in a nice , friendly atmosphere.  

Really good points. 

I'm taking the family to the quater finals at Rotherham. 30 quid for us all and I know the atmosphere won't be as heated as the man's game. Ideal atmosphere to introduce kids to a game of football and great for my Daughter to see other females playing football at a decent level in a football ground. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Been tonight, and had a great time.

The play is a lot better than I expected, and there were some really good players. Groenen for Holland, plays for Man It's, was excellent, and so was Rolfo for Sweden who plays for Barca.

Great play for both goals, especially Sweden's. Asllani, plays for AC Milan, skinned the fullback and pulled a great ball back.

My niece loved it. She's usually in bed by 7 but stayed all the way through, and loved the Swedes. Great atmosphere for the two teams too. Would deffo go again.

• Like 3

Just got home, great game. Two good sides.

I've got tickets for all the Sheffield and Rotherham games through to the Semis, then tickets for the final.

9 games, 18 tickets for just upward of £200 total. Can't go wrong.

I'm a bit of a seasoned women's International football fan... Went to the World Cup in Germany in 2011, based out of Frankfurt then again in France 2019, based in Paris. On neither occasion did i see England, i wouldn't be so bothered about following them internationally as it's far more interesting to experience the foreign fan culture, such as Japanese fans so starting behind after the game in Paris to help clean the stands.

Don't know why people insist on being so negative about women's football at international level, the standard is great amongst the top sides but drops off, much like it does in men's international football.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Bannofan said:

This is the key thing - just don't compare it and enjoy it for what it is

I worked in womens football for a couple of years - i said i'd help out for a couple of weeks...

TBH it reignited my enthusiasm for a game i'd totally fallen out of love with - the girls were just playing for the love of the game - they were so enthusiastic and genuinely passionate about football

The very same reasons that nearly all of us get into football - because we love it

I do have some suspicions that money will eventually ruin the game as it has for the men - i also think switching from the summer format to winter was a mistake...

I admit i changed my mind - yes it's nowhere near the technical and physical standard of the mens game but it doesn't have to be in order to enjoy it

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

When I was teaching in East London I ran both the girls and boys football teams. They joy of playing that the girls had was so infectious. They managed to win the both the East London League and Cup and made it to the London finals at Crystal Palace. The positive impact they had on the primary school I worked at was incredible. This was 12 years ago, since then women's football has just gone from strength to strength. The quality of Spain, Germany, Netherlands and Sweden makes me think that England really need to up their game if they want to lift the trophy.

Also, 21k at the lane  - cracking attendance.

• Like 3