Women's Euro 2022

On 13/07/2022 at 17:15, Lawrie Madden said:

I don't think at times they do themselves any favours tho 

I like the womens game but i treat it like it should treated imo as a totally seperate thing from the mens game enjoy it for it is 

Mens Football has been professional for over a hundred years the women for about 100 mins why should they be expected to be at the same level its nonsensical and thats before you get to the disparity in money 

There have been a couple of cracking games so far just enjoy 

But stuff like the other day when Alex Scott and the other former player were banging on about how Helen White was close to overtaking Rooney as Englands top all time scorer just invites the more neanderthal amongst us to start the comparisons in quality .

I thought this was a good post, I understood it completely.

It doesn't help to compare the womens game to the mens

It really doesn't help when you get commentators saying nonsense like "Ellen White needs one more goal to be Englands highest ever goalscorer beating Wayne Rooney;s record"

It is a ridiculous comparison

Let the women and their achievements stand on their merits - don't invite ridiculous comparison

• Like 7
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, scram said:

It really doesn't help when you get commentators saying nonsense like "Ellen White needs one more goal to be Englands highest ever goalscorer beating Wayne Rooney;s record"

Let the women and their achievements stand on their merits - don't invite ridiculous comparison

Nailed it...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, scram said:

Who has won the most grand slams, Margaret Court or Rafa Nadal?

10 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Off to the Netherlands v Switzerland game today at Bramall Lane. Looking forward to soaking up the atmosphere in town before and after.v

It’ll take time, but I hope you’re able to recover psychologically after the trauma of setting foot inside that shíthole

• Haha 6

Absolutely brilliant day yesterday for  Switzerland V Netherlands at the sty, one of the best football experiences I have ever had.

We got into town early to experience the fan zone and soak up some atmosphere, but the Dutch parade down to the ground was just starting. We had nailed our colours to the Netherlands after a recent holiday so joined in ..little one loved it, draped in her Netherlands scarf. 

At one stage we were near the back , and the Swiss march to the ground had started, they were singing their songs..honestly got goose bumps seeing this wall of red walking towards us with banner and flags. 

The game itself was quite a good standard, and as @TheEnchantersays, Switzerland were quite unlucky and could have been 2-1 up at one stage. 

All in all, top day out for the family. It certainly wouldn't be for the ' lads lads lads' that just like having loads of beers and screaming and pointing at opposition fans , but it was a much more positive and fun atmosphere than I've seen at a match for a long time. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1