Women's Euro 2022

On 09/07/2022 at 23:12, scram said:

This is the key thing - just don't compare it and enjoy it for what it is

I worked in womens football for a couple of years - i said i'd help out for a couple of weeks...

TBH it reignited my enthusiasm for a game i'd totally fallen out of love with - the girls were just playing for the love of the game - they were so enthusiastic and genuinely passionate about football

The very same reasons that nearly all of us get into football - because we love it

I do have some suspicions that money will eventually ruin the game as it has for the men - i also think switching from the summer format to winter was a mistake...

I admit i changed my mind - yes it's nowhere near the technical and physical standard of the mens game but it doesn't have to be in order to enjoy it

I thought about you the other day actually, there was a discussion on Guardian football weekly about ACL injuries in the women's game.

Apparently Alexia Putellas , thought of as the worlds best at the moment in the women's game, is the latest to pick up an ACL injury, and they are now looking into the relationship between women's physiology - namely wider hips to be blunt - and how that might be an explanation for higher number of these types of injury compared with the mens game. 

I immediately though ' bet @scram off of Owlstalk knows about that!' 

• Like 1

Yeah - the attrition rate in pubescent females is really high - 5 times more likely to have an ACL rupture than males

It's a little more than just the Q angle (the angle the thigh bone articulates at the knee) and that is due to wider pelvis in female than male - so the geometry of the knee is at a disadvantage

There's also the hormonal balance which in females from puberty on has a higher level of oestrogen - this is a natural ligament relaxer

It's especially higher risk when girls hit puberty and get the oestrogen hit combined with the pelvis widening so they are in a danger zone before they have time to adapt physically - a friend of mine did some work in the academy of one of the top womens teams and they had 5 ACL ruptures through the age groups (10-16) at the time she was there - one season

I did a bit of consultancy work for a womens premier league academy last season - they had 3 ACL ruptures

In 20 years of working in mens academy football i saw 2 below 16 and including the 16-23 age groups that rises to 6 in total

Lots of work and research being done on prevention however it's difficult to battle nature

Edited by scram
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, scram said:

Yeah - the attrition rate in pubescent females is really high - 5 times more likely to have an ACL rupture than males

It's a little more than just the Q angle (the angle the thigh bone articulates at the knee) and that is due to wider pelvis in female than male - so the geometry of the knee is at a disadvantage

There's also the hormonal balance which in females from puberty on has a higher level of oestrogen - this is a natural ligament relaxer

It's especially higher risk when girls hit puberty and get the oestrogen hit combined with the pelvis widening so they are in a danger zone before they have time to adapt physically - a friend of mine did some work in the academy of one of the top womens teams and they had 5 ACL ruptures through the age groups (10-16) at the time she was there - one season

I did a bit of consultancy work for a womens premier league academy last season - they had 3 ACL ruptures

In 20 years of working in mens academy football i saw 2 below 16 and including the 16-23 age groups that rises to 6 in total

Lots of work and research being done on prevention however it's difficult to battle nature

So that would be a yes to you knowing something about it then! 😁

That's really concerning isn't it,? definitely an issue and it will be interesting if nature can be met halfway somehow with different training programmes.

ACL's aren't collision injuries are they?  or can it happen in a variety of ways?

Around 85% are non-contact injuries

It's difficult to design bespoke programmes for athletes who are in development and adaptation - growth and maturation happens at variable rates so the mainstay is recognising when adolescents hit their major growth spurt (peak height velocity) and managing the training load

Coaches invariably don't like that so it often doesn't happen...

England play again tonight then v Norway.

Wonder if the heat will make a difference. Can't imagine Norway enjoying it either tbh!

Looking forward to watching again, hopefully a bit more composure and we can get into our groove.

On 07/07/2022 at 09:44, 1867owl said:

Like I said, I find it highly entertaining so I'm certainly not having a dig - the more it's on TV the better from my point of view. The goalies are something else 😅

Imagine one day you have a daughter,  who wants to play football, as a goalkeeper (heaven forbid) and you go to her game, she makes a mistake and everyone around you just laughs at her!

If carlsberg did karma.

• Like 1

Their match with St Helen’s Ladies on Boxing Day 1920 had 53,000 inside Goodison Park and thousands locked outside.

For all those that laugh at womens football this is the pull it had. It's in 1921 that the FA banned womens football as they said it was unsuitable for women to participate. 

The womens game is steeped in history and should be respected as such. 

• Like 4

Just now, kilnhurstowl said:

Their match with St Helen’s Ladies on Boxing Day 1920 had 53,000 inside Goodison Park and thousands locked outside.

For all those that laugh at womens football this is the pull it had. It's in 1921 that the FA banned womens football as they said it was unsuitable for women to participate. 

The opening quote is from official sources on the history of women's football.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kilnhurstowl said:

I think around the pre-war era there were huge crowds for top-level women's sport.

Think about the billions of £ that has gone into the men's game compared to the women's. It's no surprise the standard is different.

Hopefully it can develop, would be good for Wednesday to get onto as well.

• Like 1