GET SHUTT

Was at Anfield when he scored with a header from a corner after 2 minutes.

Then we got 85 minutes of a Footie beating but kept it to a respectable 2-1.

Somehow, out of nowhere, we equalised right at the death. Garry Thomson scuffed shot?

Ive done this from memory, which means it was probably 4-1 and Shutt didn’t score!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Strings said:

Sells holidays these days, my parents have dealt with him a few times, lovely bloke, my dad was made up as he's a Bradford fan and remembered him well.

remembered when he lived on halesworth road s13 that was some years ago . 

53 minutes ago, Strings said:

Sells holidays these days, my parents have dealt with him a few times, lovely bloke, my dad was made up as he's a Bradford fan and remembered him well.

Worked at Thomas Cook in Meadowhall as I remember. Sorted a few holidays for me and the lads when we were young, skint, and needed a week abroad for less than a weeks wages 😂

9 hours ago, torryowl said:

i liked shutty and couldnt understand why wilko got rid of him , but then i never won a league title and managed england  so i guess he had more idea than me . 

Like others on here met him when he was working at Thomas Cook’s in Meadowhall. I asked him this very question and he said he didn’t know why either especially when Wilkinson then bought him for Leeds. Mysteries of football management but I think we only got £60k for him too.

1 hour ago, Screen Door Slams said:

Same age as me............played against him loads growing up.

He was in the 3 Feathers Sunday League team , the strike partnership was him and Mel Sterland , as well as Charlie Williamson at left back , and if I`m not mistaken , Brian Cox in goal.

You’re right, although Charlie was more of a midfielder in those days.  Brian Cox was know as Watney, never knew why!

Hardly surprising he'd pick out his goal in the semi

But I'll always remember him for this game ...

He'd scored both goals to see us past Derby in the previous round and followed that with three against Birmingham

This one made it 6 goals in a week,  I thought we'd discovered a bona fide phenomenon !!

• Love 1

The TV clip of his  equalizer against Everton at Villa Park is a classic moment - a simple strikers instinct, the explosion of the crowd behind the goal and Shutty’s natural momentum taking him towards the Wednesday fans.

Another one of those times when you thought Wednesday would go on and win it.

That Everton team were one of the best in Europe at the time. I remember the BBC saying the all Scouse match up was the final that everybody wanted to see - not if you were a Wednesday or Southampton supporter !

Edwinowl we played his team Handsworth tavern I think also in the cup on their ground we lost 3 - 2 to a shutty hat trick left foot right foot & diving header special talent in junior football it was great to see him up front for us never forget that goal or game against Everton in semis

14 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I played against him once, not long before he signed for Wednesday

Not directly mind, I was in midfield

I think we were top of the league, we played them at their ground, he played for one of the Handsworth teams, I can't remember if it was a league game or in the cup

I remember we had the better of the game, and we had more chances

They had 4 chances in the game and took all 4, all scored by Shutt

I remember after the game we were all wondering how we had lost, but we had been wasteful, it was one of those games where nothing went in

A few weeks later someone said 'remember that kid that scored all 4 against us, he's just signed for Wednesday

Who did you play for mate? Just out of interest

Guest Jack the Hat
5 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Was at Anfield when he scored with a header from a corner after 2 minutes.

Then we got 85 minutes of a Footie beating but kept it to a respectable 2-1.

Somehow, out of nowhere, we equalised right at the death. Garry Thomson scuffed shot?

Ive done this from memory, which means it was probably 4-1 and Shutt didn’t score!

I was there.I think Shutt scored earlier than that but yeah, spot on - although in my mind we gave them a football lesson.

1 hour ago, Adam_the_Owl said:

Who did you play for mate? Just out of interest

Played for quite a few and memory isn't that great

I think it could have been Ball Inn but I could be mistaken (I guested for a fair few teams, 😉)

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Edwinowl we played his team Handsworth tavern I think also in the cup on their ground we lost 3 - 2 to a shutty hat trick left foot right foot & diving header special talent in junior football it was great to see him up front for us never forget that goal or game against Everton in semis