Darren Moore

Guest Willow Owl
2 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

With 85 points...we must have been rubbish to get them points after the abysmal first half of the season 🤣

Because Moore “Stumbled “ on a formation and doesn’t have a plan B

Wish DM and the club would take a leaf out of Sir Alex’s book and recruit the best coach they can afford / attract. Ferguson had Kidd, McClaren and Meulensteen. Fergie was the leader the motivator and the visionary but his coaches were the tactical brains behind the outfit. Put a top coach alongside Moore and we get the best of both worlds. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Because Moore “Stumbled “ on a formation and doesn’t have a plan B

The stumbled on a formation argument is so odd isn't it.

If any other manager changed from a formation that wasn't working to one that was they would be praised for being flexible and adaptable. But in Moores case he apparently just chanced upon it by accident.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

If any other manager changed from a formation that wasn't working to one that was they would be praised for being flexible and adaptable. But in Moores case he apparently just chanced upon it by accident.

Apparently he fell over the tactics board and accidently erased the tactics and formation...and because he couldn't remember it he put the first formation that came into his head which miraculously worked 😁

DM Positives:

- Playing attractive football with lots of goals

- Strong home record (matters for most of us who only attend home games, and it was much more enjoyable last year)

- Good, likeable man manager and well liked and able to attract players to come.

- Still young and learning and hopefully has learnt from past mistakes.

Negatives:

- Tactically questionable, and I wonder if we can adapt formations effectively this season when needed. Also too many soft goals particularly away.

- Don't have a problem with squad rotation at times but needs to ensure players are in their strongest positions.

- Doesn't interview particuarly well, too many "ehm"''s 

Overall I really enjoyed the football we played last season at home games, so really want him to succeed. He just needs to find a way to replicated that home form into away form more often, and get us more solid on the road too and able to scrap the odd win.

If we have a tough start I hope people will still back him. I can't see a new manager taking over midseason being able to get instant results playing good stuff at the same time- a McCarthy type fine for short term results but then the style of play becomes horrendous to watch. So Moore needs patience till Jan at minimum, and see how things are going then before he should be under pressure.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

If we have a tough start I hope people will still back him. 

This.

I can see, if we're not top after 3-4 games, that the 'Moore Out' faction will be back in force.

Changing manager every couple of months hasn't exactly worked out well for us, has it? Now we've got someone who is a decent manager at this level lets give him a bit of time.

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Django said:

It wasn’t enough though was it?

He ******** arsed about with the side until injuries forced his hand around the turn of the year and he stumbled on a formula that worked in the end 

Im hoping that continues and we kick on this time around 

Ah, so when it doesn't work it's all his fault, but when it does he had nothing to do with it.

Got ya.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

DM Positives:

- Playing attractive football with lots of goals

- Strong home record (matters for most of us who only attend home games, and it was much more enjoyable last year)

- Good, likeable man manager and well liked and able to attract players to come.

- Still young and learning and hopefully has learnt from past mistakes.

Negatives:

- Tactically questionable, and I wonder if we can adapt formations effectively this season when needed. Also too many soft goals particularly away.

- Don't have a problem with squad rotation at times but needs to ensure players are in their strongest positions.

- Doesn't interview particuarly well, too many "ehm"''s 

Overall I really enjoyed the football we played last season at home games, so really want him to succeed. He just needs to find a way to replicated that home form into away form more often, and get us more solid on the road too and able to scrap the odd win.

If we have a tough start I hope people will still back him. I can't see a new manager taking over midseason being able to get instant results playing good stuff at the same time- a McCarthy type fine for short term results but then the style of play becomes horrendous to watch. So Moore needs patience till Jan at minimum, and see how things are going then before he should be under pressure.

You we’re doing so well up to the crass & boorish reference to a supposed speech impediment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Wish DM and the club would take a leaf out of Sir Alex’s book and recruit the best coach they can afford / attract. Ferguson had Kidd, McClaren and Meulensteen. Fergie was the leader the motivator and the visionary but his coaches were the tactical brains behind the outfit. Put a top coach alongside Moore and we get the best of both worlds. 

100% agree. 

Theres no doubt that on quite a few occasions we were done by inferior teams that were able to stymie our game with 'pragmatic' tactics which we were invariably unable to respond effectively to. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

You we’re doing so well up to the crass & boorish reference to a supposed speech impediment.

Think crass and boorish is a bit strong personally. To be honest I don't hear a speach impediment. Just hesitancy and maybe a tad uncomfortable in interview situations. 

I wouldn't judge a manager anyway on his media skills. Bob Paisley was rubbish but he didn't do too badly.

Guest Willow Owl
2 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

This 100%

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

Ah, so when it doesn't work it's all his fault, but when it does he had nothing to do with it.

Got ya.

If I remember correctly (which I have) you were critical of him yourself

“Nice bloke crap manager” were your words if I remember correctly 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Django said:

If I remember correctly (which I have) you were critical of him yourself

“Nice bloke crap manager” were your words if I remember correctly 

Yeah, I was critical in those early months (quite a few were). 

But I think it is pretty boneheaded to not give the bloke any credit for what was an impressive upturn in the second part of the season. 

If you're going to dish out the criticism, then it seems only fair to dish out a bit of praise too. 

You see to refuse to do that. Fair enough. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

100% agree. 

Theres no doubt that on quite a few occasions we were done by inferior teams that were able to stymie our game with 'pragmatic' tactics which we were invariably unable to respond effectively to. 

Best example being Sunderland in playoffs. Neil changed personnel and formation to overload the wide areas and nullify our wing backs. Over 180 mins we didn’t / couldn’t respond. It was close, but no cigar for us. Moore needs a top-class coach to help him through those moments 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yeah, I was critical in those early months (quite a few were). 

But I think it is pretty boneheaded to not give the bloke any credit for what was an impressive upturn in the second part of the season. 

If you're going to dish out the criticism, then it seems only fair to dish out a bit of praise too. 

You see to refuse to do that. Fair enough. 

Not really 

It’s my opinion that the gulf in quality in players led to us more often than not coming out on top in many games this season

When we needed a bit of tactical nouse and know how on road we were often severely lacking 

All my opinion of course 

See what happens this season, like I said im happy to give him another crack at it  this year but he’s got to deliver promotion this time 

31 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Best example being Sunderland in playoffs. Neil changed personnel and formation to overload the wide areas and nullify our wing backs. Over 180 mins we didn’t / couldn’t respond. It was close, but no cigar for us. Moore needs a top-class coach to help him through those moments 

Agreed again and that's not to have a big downer on Moore either. As you say supplementing his undoubted attributes with an astute coach/tactician might well complete the picture.

• Like 1

Darren Moore is a good manager, especially at this level.

It shows the utter poo show we have had in charge for most of the last 10 years that other than the 2 Playoff years, he is looking a cut above the dross we have had since then.

Last year he over achieved based on where I thought we would end up at the start of the season and achieved the expectation he created after the middle of the campaign.

If he does the same again this year, we are getting promoted.

• Haha 2