Darren Moore

He'll be a much better manager for having got through last season. People forget he's still a young football manager, playing only prepares you for so much, coaching the same. You need to actually experience it, especially in today's football.

A lot of the things people were critical of him for were things that either were rectified in the 2nd half of 21/22 or things that were beyond his control.

Some will disagree with this and that's fine but he overachieved last season for me, yeah you can talk about quality of squad but how often was all that squad actually available to him? Nowhere near enough, that is something hopefully this summer's signings will rectify which again is mostly down to him and the recruitment team.

Said in other threads over the last couple of months, if we carry on the trajectory we have been on since January, sign the right players (which so far on paper we have) then I don't see any reason why we shouldn't challenge for the top two.

There will be more pressure this year, no doubt about that and people like myself will be less forgiving if we have a slow start but I don't think we've got as many obstacles in the way that we did last season. We don't need to rebuild a team or sign 16 new players. We need to add in key areas and keep hold of ones we already have.

One thing you have to credit him with is he doesn't get too down when we lose or too high when we win. His interviews are much the same regardless of result, I think that's a good thing, you need to keep sight of the end goal. There will be bumps in the road, the key thing is not to overreact, don't throw the toys out of the pram if in a three game week he might make changes after a win, it's managing the squad, something we didn't do very well during other manager's tenures.

Away from the pitch he's the kind of person you want, well liked, well respected, you feel that teacher aspect to him in that you like him but know you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of him or let him down. There's a reason we've seen so many players take that decision to either drop a division or to stay when they could go elsewhere, it's not just the size of Sheffield Wednesday, it's who's in the dugout.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think he had enough games to keep us up when he first came (but wouldn’t say he was to blame for relegation -  DC  was culpable for that). However, he seems like someone still learning his trade but he showed last season he could put together a competitive side, which became a side good to watch in the second half of the season. He’ll become a decent manager I think if given time but he won’t get time at SWFC unless he gets us up this season.

8 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Being one of the best two side over the course of the season is the thing that get you up. Not which managers ‘school’ each other. We beat Wigan twice this season so I guess Moore ‘schooled’ Richardson. But so what. They went up and we didn’t. 

I’m sure there are managers with better tactical ability than DM. But DM is learning/ improving and the other sides of managing a team (recruitment, man management, injury management etc) seem to be real strengths.

Its opinions mate..I didn’t expect us to go up last season...I don’t expect us to go up this season.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, The coach said:

Sorry but imo thats nonsense..I fully expected Alex Neil to school him over 2 legs..which he duly did..been a nice bloke is great...but it dosnt get you up

Ok we disagree. We'll see if you're right this coming season.

By the way I mentioned man management and commanding respect   How did you derive 'nice' from that?

For me, last season is gone and it’s all about 2022/23. DM starts with a clean slate and the recruitment so far looks promising. Hopefully there’s more to come. I do think one of the pressures that comes with very strong recruitment is an expectation of strong performances on the pitch, so DM needs to get off to a good start. We know there’s lots of new players who will supposedly take time to gel, but a start like last season's would probably see him out of a job by November. 

I think he will have learned a lot from that first full season in charge and I fully expect us to be one of the early front runners and go on to get automatic promotion. In fact, I think we will be champions. 

• Like 1

I'm fully behind him and generally like what I've seen so far, I also think it's important to have a bit of managerial continuity. After all chopping managers every year hasn't worked well for us in the recent past. Has he made mistakes, yes, will he make more in the future, yes, but nobody's perfect (even Pep got the CL wrong).

The thing is almost uniquely among professions, football managers are watched by critics with (usually) no qualifications and no experience, yet we all know exactly where the manager's gone wrong.

We don't go to the cinema watch a film and come out commenting about where the Director got it wrong, but we do with football, why is that?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, helmut_rooster said:

Comes across as a real top bloke, he's made mistakes but who doesn't.

Make some impressive signings last week, does anyone think any other team is as strong as us in League 1 next season? 

I don't.

Would you have said rovrum and Wigan had better teams than us last season..before a ball was kicked?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, The coach said:

Its opinions mate..I didn’t expect us to go up last season...I don’t expect us to go up this season.

Yes indeed it is all about opinions. 👍.as it goes I expected us to get to playoffs last season but didn’t think we’d win them but do expect us to go up this season. I think we have a top two squad this season and even a few hiccups won’t stop us this time around. 
The big thing that will give us the edge this season in 5 subs. A big squad with a decent amount of quality will see us through. 
Maybe that’s damming Moore with faint praise but he’s got the squad together (albeit with what must be the biggest budget in the league) so fair play. 

i'll judge him when he gets the sack as no doubt he will ......we were on a downer when he arrived and he couldnt halt it , i now feel that we are on an upturn and if he can see it thru to get us back to a mid table champ side then i think he'll have done a decent job  if he cant then he'll join the long list of those that havnt 

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i'll judge him when he gets the sack as no doubt he will ......we were on a downer when he arrived and he couldnt halt it , i now feel that we are on an upturn and if he can see it thru to get us back to a mid table champ side then i think he'll have done a decent job  if he cant then he'll join the long list of those that havnt 

Take those splinters outa yer arse..just give us your opinion,,,do you think he will get us up...or do you think he will fall short...again

• Like 1

I completely lost faith in him by October last season when it became clear he didn’t have a clue what he was doing 

However new season, I’m happy to give him another shot but he has to get us in automatic contention this season 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Django said:

I completely lost faith in him by October last season when it became clear he didn’t have a clue what he was doing 

However new season, I’m happy to give him another shot but he has to get us in automatic contention this season 

He didn't have a clue what he was doing...but managed to get us into the play offs with 85 points. 

That's some effort. 

• Like 5

Just now, SiJ said:

He didn't have a clue what he was doing...but managed to get us into the play offs with 85 points. 

That's some effort. 

It wasn’t enough though was it?

He ******** arsed about with the side until injuries forced his hand around the turn of the year and he stumbled on a formula that worked in the end 

Im hoping that continues and we kick on this time around 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SDS Owl said:

Let’s not kid ourselves, the money is attracting the players.

He had the best and highest paid squad last season, there can be no excuses this year.

Best squad is debatable. We were were sorely lacking in aerial presence up front and in defence. There were times when this was manifest too often.  Highest paid is most probably right though. I suspect that money is the key driver but I wouldn't rule out the club and manager being influencers too.

• Like 2