Darren Moore

He's done a good job in very difficult conditions. Our squad was hopeless and we were as good as down when he took over. Now some of those conditions have been fixed and expectations have been raised. Better players (Gregory, Johnson, Hunt, Byers, etc. identified and brought in). Looks like signings this summer have been good too. So with raised expectations the challenge is meeting them and dealing with the pressure of being bookies favourites for promotion.

He got 85 points last season which was a decent haul considering all the upheaval. The challenge is to beat that total, and hopefully if we do that it will be enough to go up automatically.

If we fall below 85 points, then there will have to be some questions asked. Fall significantly below it and it may be time for a change. I hope that isn't the case and I'm confident he can do it. (It is even not impossible we do much worse than last year in the league and still get promoted - Sturrock took us up with 72 points).

5 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

Nobody hates him but some fans including myself have significant and reasonable concerns about his tactical ability. You don’t and that’s fine but don’t accuse people asking reasonable questions on a fan forum of hate. Hate is a strong word thrown around too freely on here. 

Well said. 

I think that where some managers might edge him tactically, he might just as easily have the edge in man management and ability to command respect. Swings and roundabouts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brad_owl said:

Where do we all stand with Darren?

Im not a fan at all however i really wish him the best of luck with next season. I am really willing him to succeed and give us a promotion that we deserve. 

He is great at picking players, he seems to be a good manager but for me seems to lack to tactical nouse and ability to change games that good managers have. This along with the fact he seems to like players playing out of position rather than acquiring the players to fit the formation.

All said i wish Darren and his team the best of luck. Do us proud. 

Right lol

28 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

How could things have been far far worse? 

Relegation, administration, a lacklustre season, declining morale.... take your pick - things can always be worse, especially following Wednesday!

I share some of your qualms on tactics btw, but on the whole we are in a decent position to challenge for the title next year.

• Like 1

Guest Jack the Hat
5 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Well said. 

I think that where some managers might edge him tactically, he might just as easily have the edge in man management and ability to command respect. Swings and roundabouts.

100% with this.

Guest Willow Owl
6 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

He's done a good job in very difficult conditions. Our squad was hopeless and we were as good as down when he took over. Now some of those conditions have been fixed and expectations have been raised. Better players (Gregory, Johnson, Hunt, Byers, etc. identified and brought in). Looks like signings this summer have been good too. So with raised expectations the challenge is meeting them and dealing with the pressure of being bookies favourites for promotion.

He got 85 points last season which was a decent haul considering all the upheaval. The challenge is to beat that total, and hopefully if we do that it will be enough to go up automatically.

If we fall below 85 points, then there will have to be some questions asked. Fall significantly below it and it may be time for a change. I hope that isn't the case and I'm confident he can do it. (It is even not impossible we do much worse than last year in the league and still get promoted - Sturrock took us up with 72 points).

A lot of the players brought in last year were also loans Peacock-Farrell, Storey, Dean, Gibson Etc.  The players brought in so far this summer are all our players which gives us a solid base to build on. Expect us to be challenging for top two this season. 

24 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Well said. 

Sorry but imo thats nonsense..I fully expected Alex Neil to school him over 2 legs..which he duly did..been a nice bloke is great...but it dosnt get you up

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jack the Hat said:

I didn’t realise that! Enjoy the book.

Blimey. A bit of a mention of the book on Owlstalk and sales are rocketing! Once you sell the film rights Owlstalk readers better be in the boss seat for ‘extras’ parts! 

Should have kept us up 

Yea he has come in at a difficult time but has been found out tactically many times 

I think he has recruited well this season up to now 

We shall see if he can get them at it from the first game 

• Haha 1

Darren Moore has without doubt grown into the role

He is the only manager in years who has addressed the culture of the club

Occasionally I’ve been frustrated with some of his decisions but slowly but surely he’s grown into the role more and more.

Ive no doubt in my mind he will take us up this season . 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Like him as a bloke, love the patterns of play we make and how we seem to make lots of chances and he recruits really well.

You can argue he maybe lacks some tactical nous, but it's also easy to forget that he's been managing for 'only' four years. If he can learn from his own mistakes then he could be a very good manager... it's clear that his tactical vision can bring about a good style of football, it's just ensuring it translates directly to results.

The season to prove he can do that is probably this one. He's steadied the ship, he's built a paper that is (on paper) formidable at this level... now's the time to deliver. A top 3 finish and ultimately promotion must be the goal, so pressure is on. Fingers very crossed Moore can deliver, because I really really want him to succeed.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The coach said:

Sorry but imo thats nonsense..I fully expected Alex Neil to school him over 2 legs..which he duly did..been a nice bloke is great...but it dosnt get you up

Being one of the best two side over the course of the season is the thing that get you up. Not which managers ‘school’ each other. We beat Wigan twice this season so I guess Moore ‘schooled’ Richardson. But so what. They went up and we didn’t. 

I’m sure there are managers with better tactical ability than DM. But DM is learning/ improving and the other sides of managing a team (recruitment, man management, injury management etc) seem to be real strengths.

• Like 2

Guest Jack the Hat
15 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Blimey. A bit of a mention of the book on Owlstalk and sales are rocketing! Once you sell the film rights Owlstalk readers better be in the boss seat for ‘extras’ parts! 

Definitely maybe

Edited by Jack the Hat