Darren Moore

On 26/06/2022 at 21:29, 4evaowl said:

I think he had enough games to keep us up when he first came (but wouldn’t say he was to blame for relegation -  DC  was culpable for that). However, he seems like someone still learning his trade but he showed last season he could put together a competitive side, which became a side good to watch in the second half of the season. He’ll become a decent manager I think if given time but he won’t get time at SWFC unless he gets us up this season.

Am not a “get him out”  person but really we should not be recruiting a manager  who will become decent in time. That’s DC’s fault.

On 26/06/2022 at 20:36, Emerson Thome said:

He's done a good job in very difficult conditions. Our squad was hopeless and we were as good as down when he took over. Now some of those conditions have been fixed and expectations have been raised. Better players (Gregory, Johnson, Hunt, Byers, etc. identified and brought in). Looks like signings this summer have been good too. So with raised expectations the challenge is meeting them and dealing with the pressure of being bookies favourites for promotion.

He got 85 points last season which was a decent haul considering all the upheaval. The challenge is to beat that total, and hopefully if we do that it will be enough to go up automatically.

If we fall below 85 points, then there will have to be some questions asked. Fall significantly below it and it may be time for a change. I hope that isn't the case and I'm confident he can do it. (It is even not impossible we do much worse than last year in the league and still get promoted - Sturrock took us up with 72 points).

Honestly there was no upheaval last season. He brought in 14 players ( I think) he had the biggest budget in the league and he chopped and changed even when not necessary, and in some positions we never knew who his first choice players were.  He has brought in some good players but just as many who were not contributors and most people seem to think although he is a wonderfully appealing character, he is still learning the job, at our expense. To be honest I am not impressed by poaching RU’s best players hoping they can do the same for us. We have flattered them although of course they had a better team than us last season. That’s painful. With the biggest budget. And a very big squad. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, victorturner said:

Honestly there was no upheaval last season. He brought in 14 players ( I think) he had the biggest budget in the league and he chopped and changed even when not necessary, and in some positions we never knew who his first choice players were.  He has brought in some good players but just as many who were not contributors and most people seem to think although he is a wonderfully appealing character, he is still learning the job, at our expense. To be honest I am not impressed by poaching RU’s best players hoping they can do the same for us. We have flattered them although of course they had a better team than us last season. That’s painful. With the biggest budget. And a very big squad. 

Upheaval was being relegated on the last day of the season, having to sign players late, with a soft transfer embargo in place, suspended points deduction hanging over the club and a manager recovering from Covid (having only been in post a couple of months anyway) and few plans in place. Plus losing one of the backroom coaching staff and Chairman unable to visit the country due to travel restrictions. Much of this "biggest budget" was already tied up in players like Windass, Iorfa, Dawson, Paterson, etc. who Moore didn't choose and didn't contribute much last year.

When we were in direct competition for players (e.g. Danny Batth), or conceivably players like Charlie Wyke, Sam Morsy - other clubs could offer more wages or transfer fees. Signings like Sow and Kamberi were most likely not in the top 10 on our wanted list. Having scrabbled around for transfer targets late and near the end of the window, we then lost 3 players in the same position - Gibson, Iorfa and Hutchinson to injuries after the transfer window had closed. Sounds like upheaval to me.

As for signing two Rotherham players, it is irrelevant whether they are local rivals or not. We've signed one of the best defenders and best strikers in the league. Seems perfectly reasonable on paper. Maybe they won't work out, but seems weird to spin this into a negative before they have even played a game for us.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, victorturner said:

Am not a “get him out”  person but really we should not be recruiting a manager  who will become decent in time. That’s DC’s fault.

When he came he’d been managing for under 3 years, so clearly a gamble. 2022/23 will be his fifth season in management and hopefully a season of real success, ending with promotion.

Funny game football - if he did get us promoted, he’d be a sought after manager. If we’re not at least on the heals of the top 2 after 10 games he could be gone - such is the life of a modern day manager.

There isn't really anything in his time here to suggest that he'll cut the mustard, but he's our manager so we'll back him.

He's a nice bloke and he's good at recruitment, but managerially-speaking he's probably not quite good enough.

I mean, would he have got Rotherham promoted for example? Probably not.

Personally I think we should go for a manager who's too good for this level, like Alex Neil was for Mackem, or Dave Jones was for us.

We saw the benefit of that in the two semis, where Neil outthought Moore to an extent that we never laid a glove on them.

He did the same to Sh*thouse Ainsworth in the final, whereas Moore struggled against him in the two league fixtures.

• Like 1

On 28/06/2022 at 15:53, Pablo Bonvin said:

Didn’t realise the season was starting and finishing early as well this year.

I think what Mego meant to say is that we can't afford to tarry and waste another season if early-season results are not up to the expected standard.

Namely, that we don't win every game. 😉

What interests me most is what do the players think of him? How do they respond to him? All the talk suggests he is respected and has the players on side.

He came to a club in chaos.  Everything that surrounded Wednesday was negative and having to deal with that was far from ideal.  Not only are you rebuilding a squad but you're having to change a mentality and bring back pride and confidence.  You're also having to win over a weary and long suffering set of supporters. Again, on that score he has done very well IMO and should be applauded for the work he has done.  I see parallels between the job DM has done and will continue to do with us and what Mark Robbins had to deal with and change at Coventry City.  Patience can definitely pay off.

I genuinely believe he is the right man at the right time and this will be a big season for him and the club.  I fully anticipate us to get down to business and boss the division.  Top two is on the cards barring any disasters.

• Like 5

DM did fairly well last season and we made the playoffs.

We should let the fella get on with the job pre-season without debating if he is the right man for the job.  He will be under enough pressure when the season starts as a fight for the automatic promotion spots is what is expected and if he doesn’t get us up then he’ll probably not be here the following season.  

Sit back, have a beer, enjoy pre-season and get ready for the coming season’s rollercoaster.

• Like 1