The Barry Bannan conundrum

Crosses your mind he wasn't fully fit as he went down late on v Portsmouth and was taken off.

He is such an important player for Wednesday that no way will he not be starting tonight even with a broken leg.

Impossible to say if he is only half fit if he is worth a punt until about 10pm tonight.

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Was Bannan out of sorts the other night, or was he asked to play a deeper role to save his legs a bit?

Hopefully he's back to full fitness tonight and back on it

Err he played nearly up front first half 

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Was Bannan out of sorts the other night, or was he asked to play a deeper role to save his legs a bit?

Clearly playing when he shouldn’t have Friday. That can’t have done him any good.  Hope whatever it was has cleared up but if not I’d prefer to see Fis in the advanced midfield role. Can’t afford Bannan playing 50% again.

• Like 3

Looked to me like we attempted to play similar to how we did at MK with Bannan pushed forward, but the relentless pace Sunderland played for an hour meant we were chasing shadows and had no time on the ball when we did get it.

Once they tired he got on the ball more and we dominated possession. Expecting something like normal service resumed tonight.

Also don’t think there was any issue with his fitness on the night - if there was there’s no way he’d have played the full 90 minutes with another huge game to play 3 days later

• Like 3

Exactly what you said really. He was either asked to purposely hold back and be mindful of todays game, or he absolutely wasn’t fit.

We will find out tonight. I’m more inclined to think he just wasn’t fit and If that’s the case I wouldn’t start him tonight. Push Byers forward and put Dele in next to Luongo

• Haha 1

Not sure what was going off on Friday. 

Perhaps part tactical and part not wanting him to overstretch himself and get an injury? 

Either way, I would expect a very different Bannan tonight. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He really didn't

He really did

Just like the poster above put 

We tried the Mk Dons tactics but we got overrun in midfield 

until we took Berahino off and went 5 accroos the park 

your welcome 

• Like 1

If he's anything less than 100% i'd be playing FDB in there instead. A fully fit FDB is a better option than a 75% fit Bannan, it's too big of a game to risk playing unfit players when we have fully fit, more than competent options waiting in the wings. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

He play up front first half and our improvement coincided with him swapping with Luongo ,Sunderland like others set out to kick lumps off of Bannan and I've no doubt that's what will happen tonight

22 minutes ago, akbuk said:

He play up front first half and our improvement coincided with him swapping with Luongo ,Sunderland like others set out to kick lumps off of Bannan and I've no doubt that's what will happen tonight

they were lucky he jumped out the way of that 2 footed tackle 3 minutes into the game.

It’s a big game but if he’s not fully fit he shouldn’t play should he !! People have been telling us for years that Carlos ruined Keiron Lees career by rushing him back and playing him when not  fully fit . If the cap fits and all that !! 

Bannan will start and he’ll play well.