Harlee Dean

If he’s fully fit I’d start him. He’s a very good defender, good in possession, good at set pieces and very experienced. All of our defenders have a mistake in them but as a unit Storey, Dean and Hutch is a very strong defensive unit. I’d have Palmer on the bench as he can be cover for the entire back five. 

I like Palmer but he’s better in games where we have more of the ball and he can bring it out of defence to add the extra man to an attack.

You’d imagine in a play-off first leg at Sunderland in front of 45000 they’re going to try and get on the front foot, put us under pressure and be quite physical with it so I’d want proper centre backs in my defence. 

Harsh on Palmer but it’s Storey-Dean-Hutch for me. 

Edited by paulrs
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Palmer did the presser though, dunno if that counts for owt but unusual to be given that duty and then dropped

Yes. I saw his presser and thought that it would be slightly odd to drop him after that. Maybe Dean isn’t fully fit? Or maybe Baz isn’t starting and we will see Hutch in midfield or some other unexpected permutation?

If he's fit, he starts. Simple as that.

Too good for this level. Experienced. Big game player.

We need that in abundance tonight.

Be harsh on Palmer, but there's no room for sentiment tonight.

With a back three of Storey - Dean - Hutchinson, I'd be confident of been able to withstand the inevitable pressure we're likely to be exposed to at some point.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Yes. I saw his presser and thought that it would be slightly odd to drop him after that. Maybe Dean isn’t fully fit? Or maybe Baz isn’t starting and we will see Hutch in midfield or some other unexpected permutation?

image.png.e57e83ac4ed344ffd4f4b5e16b96e531.png

I'd expect Palmer to start with Dean on the bench.

When players are returning from injury DM tends to give them minutes from the bench, rather than throwing them on for the whole 90. Might depend on BB, if BB doesn't start and there's an enforced change, DM might prefer not to make another change and play Palmer instead of Dean.

for me there has been  a big debate on d moore . 1 min he is god next he has to go . but tonight he will be judged on tactics and selection . for me you need big characters tonight 45000 manics screaming you need men and harley dean 100% will cope . at xmas/new year i said sack d moore get alex neil i hope im wrong . sunderland were going nowhere before he came in support where putting it politely rabbid mad dog fuming , since then they are 14 games unbeaten , there favs and we should play it as we are underdogs , this game could turn by a rash challenge anything but lets hope its decided by the players not the ref.  last nights ref was a clown i hope we have better tonight

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

If he's fit, he starts. Simple as that.

Too good for this level. Experienced. Big game player.

We need that in abundance tonight.

Be harsh on Palmer, but there's no room for sentiment tonight.

With a back three of Storey - Dean - Hutchinson, I'd be confident of been able to withstand the inevitable pressure we're likely to be exposed to at some point.

palmer was in back 3 when we got slaughtered and nearly was a cricket score 

10 minutes ago, reggae said:

If no bannan then can see hutch holding and Dean slotting in back 3. 

Byers further forward. 

I think Bashiru will play if Bannan doesn't. 

Bannan will play though. 

2 hours ago, Lime Tree Heros said:

I'd expect Palmer to start with Dean on the bench.

When players are returning from injury DM tends to give them minutes from the bench, rather than throwing them on for the whole 90. Might depend on BB, if BB doesn't start and there's an enforced change, DM might prefer not to make another change and play Palmer instead of Dean.

I understand the logic

But Dean has been left out of squads to work on his training for the last two weeks

I think Moore has left him out purposely with the play offs in mind

I expect Dean to start tonight

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

If he's fit, play him. We need our steadiest CBs at CB tonight, rather than a full-back doing his best. Harsh on Liam but means we have reliable cover at both CB and FB on the bench. Jack Hunt has looked jaded some games so Liam may be on at some point tonight in his place.I think tonight is too early for Gibson.I think we'll be under alot of pressure with Sunderland playing for & getting alot of free kicks & corners so we need no nonsense defending at the back. All 3 CBs useful when we win corners at their end. Hoping for 1-2, expecting 1-1 & BB to start & look disgusted at being subbed after 75 mins for Windass.

Moore been slightly different with dean than others? He put him straight in after signing despite not playing regular football? Brought him back in for no away too? Wonder if moore was a cb and realised wot a player like dean brings to the fore? 😆  Dean for me has to play if fit we need him hutch and storey who all are decent in the air to repel the crosses that will undoubtedly come into our box . Palmer has been very steady but still gets caught out of position now and again because he is not a natural cb. As for storey he did have a dip but thought he was back to himself Saturday and also with scoring should be full of confidence. Wise heads required tonight uto