Raith Rovers sign a rapist

1 minute ago, Skyline said:

Escaped prison time and ordered to pay £100k compo.

Seems a bit odd? I'd have thought a convicted rapist would always get sent down.

Never went to trial. Is this something to do with the Scottish legal process?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-60214769

The striker was ruled to be a rapist and ordered to pay damages in a civil case in 2017.

He never faced a criminal trial over the rape accusation after prosecutors said there was not enough evidence.

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

Weirdly for the last few seasons he's been scoring freely at Clyde in the Scottish first division,  I'm not sure anyone noticed , as this story makes out like Raith have signed him straight from prison 

It was after I looked at his stats ok Wiki that I saw no "gap" between clubs... That's when I read that he some how did not go to prison. 

4 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

Never went to trial. Is this something to do with the Scottish legal process?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-60214769

He was only found guilty on civil prosecution grounds, not criminal. Obviously I don’t mean ‘only’ to undermine the severity of his offence, just to explain why he isn’t in the clinker. 

Lower burden of proof required for civil judgements, so I presume the legal authorities must have felt they were short of the evidence to criminally convict. In this case, the victim still chose to pursue him (and another) via civil action which resulted in the guilty verdict and the compensation order. 

Not really a scenario I’ve heard of before tbf. 

When people were posting about Greenwood saying someone would sign him out of prison, I thought they were being ridiculous.

Looks like I was wrong. Football really does have no morals.

I get that this guy never went to prison for this, but I couldn't give a throw about that 'technicality'.

If there is any justice in this world, their entire fanbase will walk away, never to return. 

3 hours ago, TheBoyBeevers said:

Lower burden of proof required for civil judgements, so I presume the legal authorities must have felt they were short of the evidence to criminally convict. In this case, the victim still chose to pursue him (and another) via civil action which resulted in the guilty verdict and the compensation order. 

Not really a scenario I’ve heard of before tbf. 

image.jpeg.a4fcf85b5985fb76e0fe0af5702d23e1.jpeg

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

When people were posting about Greenwood saying someone would sign him out of prison, I thought they were being ridiculous.

Looks like I was wrong. Football really does have no morals.

I get that this guy never went to prison for this, but I couldn't give a throw about that 'technicality'.

If there is any justice in this world, their entire fanbase will walk away, never to return. 

Football is littered with players who have served time or had other criminal convictions. Clubs don't give a to55 about what's morally right, they only care about Winning games. 

7 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Football is littered with players who have served time or had other criminal convictions. Clubs don't give a to55 about what's morally right, they only care about Winning games. 

I agree in general. We are a club that employed both Madine and Danny Cademattery. But I always assumed rape would be different.

I don’t know the full details or ins and outs of the criminal case, but in Scotland it’s different to England there are 3 different verdicts available in Scots Law in the courts (guilty, not guilty, and not proven) and I think in this case it may have been a not proven verdict in the first case. 

Not proven does not mean not guilty, in most cases it is basically a verdict where it is almost certain that the defendant is guilty, but there is insufficient evidence to prosecute.

My understanding is that after that case the lady took it to a civil court and was awarded damages of £100k.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2