Raith Rovers sign a rapist

1 hour ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

I agree in general. We are a club that employed both Madine and Danny Cademattery. But I always assumed rape would be different.

Well you must know people who have murdered such as lee Hughes and that Plymouth goalie got clubs again and that’s the worst thing you can do 

If the player is good there will be someone who can’t resist getting a better player than they would usually be able to attain. Looking at this guys goal scoring record he appears to be Scottish PL level 

they will also hide behind the “people need a second chance” argument

I can see Raith ending up in admin. Their gates are rubbish anyway and they will plummet further. Their main benefactor and sponsor Val McDermid has pulled her support from the club too. Really shortsighted decision and especially with the Greenwood news being so fresh too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

I don’t know the full details or ins and outs of the criminal case, but in Scotland it’s different to England there are 3 different verdicts available in Scots Law in the courts (guilty, not guilty, and not proven) and I think in this case it may have been a not proven verdict in the first case. 

Not proven does not mean not guilty, in most cases it is basically a verdict where it is almost certain that the defendant is guilty, but there is insufficient evidence to prosecute.

My understanding is that after that case the lady took it to a civil court and was awarded damages of £100k.

it never went to a criminal court so there was no verdict .........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In a criminal trial you have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he did it.  This is generally extremely difficult with rape as it often comes down to one person's word against another.

In a civil case you just have to prove that on the balance of probability that he did it, which is much easier.

Goodwillie does, on the other hand, have multiple criminal convictions for assault.

The timescales are important. Whilst he was found guilty in 2017 in a civil case the actual offence was in 2011.  His charges were dropped due to insufficient evidence.

most rape charges are dropped.  Still 10 years on.

that's also a lot of other clubs that employed him since his initial arrest.too. 

This is what get me with "lack of evidence".    "was close to collapse as she left their nightclub."

Morals , football doesn't have any yet claims too when it suits!

time for Football to catch up and change and be the "community clubs" they claim to be.  This is not just football's problem but they need to be advocates, especially inlight of the continued promotion of Women's football.

Recent cases highlighting its time for change

• Like 1

He’s perhaps made a rod for his own back I assume he left Clyde rather than them getting rid based on that scoring record. It will be a big story where he goes now, but unlike somebody like Greenwood I can’t imagine foreign work for him is all that lucrative to be worth emigrating at that level 

19 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Why has this blown up going to Raith but not Clyde?

That has intrigued me as well about the whole thing.

Surely the Clyde fans, sponsors and board members didn't just accept him and let him get on with banging the goals in ( which he did ), but I can't remember reading anything about it at all. Like you, I assumed he wasn't playing and had just been released from prison or something and Raith were the first to show interest.

I'll have a search now,  see what headlines there were. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Surely the Clyde fans, sponsors and board members didn't just accept him and let him get on with banging the goals in ( which he did ), but I can't remember reading anything about it at all. Like you, I assumed he wasn't playing and had just been released from prison or something and Raith were the first to show interest.

He was at Clyde for five years, and I don't remember ever seeing anything this in the news during that time. 

On 01/02/2022 at 17:51, aussieowl87 said:

Goodwillie by name, bad Willie by nature.

Abhorrent though. Just to clarify.

Don't want anyone to think I'm making light of the situation.

Of course we won't, especially since your location is 'Chasing International Crumpet'

:duntmatter:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bannofan said:

They weren’t sponsored by a famous novelist who withdrew their sponsorship.