Raith Rovers sign a rapist

On 02/02/2022 at 09:01, matthefish2002 said:

You would think the prospect of losing sponsors and all the bad publicity that Raith would terminate his contract and put out an apology statement as a  damage limitation exercise.

Surprised he is still at the club.

Losing sponsors would be an issue for us as ours are all made up anyway.

On 02/02/2022 at 17:33, cazzaswfc said:

Recent cases, the Sarah Everard case,  the #metoo movement.

Not solely a football issue but the recent Greenwood incident means some people are publicly taking a stand against it.

Had the Greenwood incident not occured I doubt this would have got the traction it has.

• Haha 1

The latest on this situation, which I find quite fascinating :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60605957

So, Raith loaned him back to Clyde ..I think the media must have got bored with the story as I can't remember reading this bit, only that they had ' not gone ahead with the transfer ' .

The entire womens team and manager have now quit..but it doesn't say whether they played when he was with them previously?.

Just can't get my head round how he played for Clyde for a few seasons, banging goals in, with very little publicity negative or otherwise, but now it's all blown up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bannofan said:

The latest on this situation, which I find quite fascinating :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60605957

So, Raith loaned him back to Clyde ..I think the media must have got bored with the story as I can't remember reading this bit, only that they had ' not gone ahead with the transfer ' .

The entire womens team and manager have now quit..but it doesn't say whether they played when he was with them previously?.

Just can't get my head round how he played for Clyde for a few seasons, banging goals in, with very little publicity negative or otherwise, but now it's all blown up. 

More virtue signalling garbage.

Goodwillie has played for Clyde since 2017, appearing 140 times and scoring 92 goals.

The council who own the ground didn’t have any problems with Goodwillie at that point, as neither did the womens team, who have played 16 league games this season, most of which whilst Goodwillie was a member of the first team.

I’m sick and tired of this holier-than-thou attitude. It only matters when it suits, which is clearly obvious in this case.

• Like 3

On 03/03/2022 at 18:58, g-owls said:

More virtue signalling garbage.

Goodwillie has played for Clyde since 2017, appearing 140 times and scoring 92 goals.

The council who own the ground didn’t have any problems with Goodwillie at that point, as neither did the womens team, who have played 16 league games this season, most of which whilst Goodwillie was a member of the first team.

I’m sick and tired of this holier-than-thou attitude. It only matters when it suits, which is clearly obvious in this case.

I think...or hope..you mean something else rather than 'virtue signalling '.

My astonishment comes from the fact that any club at any stage thought it a good idea to sign a court adjudged rapist, and that it happened without any major publicity. 

It certainly isn't 'virtue signalling ' for the women's team to refuse to be associated with club. That's simply knowing right from wrong..something Clyde only seem to now be copping on to now. 

Do you believe he should be able to continue his dream career? 

3 hours ago, Bannofan said:

I think...or hope..you mean something else rather than 'virtue signalling '.

My astonishment comes from the fact that any club at any stage thought it a good idea to sign a court adjudged rapist, and that it happened without any major publicity. 

It certainly isn't 'virtue signalling ' for the women's team to refuse to be associated with club. That's simply knowing right from wrong..something Clyde only seem to now be copping on to now. 

Do you believe he should be able to continue his dream career? 

Why were they content to do it for 5 years after this conviction? What has changed in the past month?