Players Who Burnt Bright But Faded Fast

15 hours ago, owler66 said:

Agree when Man Utd won the European Cup he was 22 that was the pinnacle of his career it was all downhill after that 

I didn’t know that. 22! Imagine how good he could have been if he had kept his demons in check. Massive shame.

I often wonder what players like him, Puskas and Cruyff could have done on todays pitches and referee protection. Makes a mockery of the “greatest ever” argument to me when people talk about Ronaldo and Messi. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighworthOwl said:

I didn’t know that. 22! Imagine how good he could have been if he had kept his demons in check. Massive shame.

I often wonder what players like him, Puskas and Cruyff could have done on todays pitches and referee protection. Makes a mockery of the “greatest ever” argument to me when people talk about Ronaldo and Messi. 

Well, given his addiction illness... unfortunately, probably not great

On 05/01/2022 at 23:22, katie melua said:

Egil Ostenstad

First season under Souness, he looked a proper striker. Liverpool, Newcastle, Chelsea and Wednesday all wanted him but couldn't meet Southamptons £7,000,000 asking price

Then Dave Jones came in, Berkovic departed and he looked nothing like the player he could have been. The same was reported by Blackburn Rovers fans when he went up there, rarely featured.

Berkovic was a brilliant footballer, so under rated

On 06/01/2022 at 09:54, danblakemore said:

Jack Wiltshire

Lee Hendry

Jack Rodwell

All three could be said to have had a 'self inflicted ' downfall .

Wilshere-  A player that was touted as breaking the mould of a typical English midfielder. Should have won 80-100 caps for England. He can't get a club now. Seems to me he just didn't look after himself well enough off the pitch, meaning his body took ages to recover from injuries. If I was him I'd be playing and living somewhere warmer and where the game is less intense..Spanish second division maybe.

Hendry - Maybe not entirely self inflicted,  but addictions and mental health problems did for him. 

Rodwell - Greed, pure and simple. A perfect example of when money trumps desire for the game. The blokes probably a millionaire a few times over, but doesn't have much of a career to look back on, certainly not one he could have had with a better attitude. 

1 hour ago, Screen Door Slams said:

The media were drooling over him during his stint at West Ham and the England U 21,s

I didn't think he'd actually played that often for West Ham?

As far as I remember, he spent more time loaned out to Championship teams than playing in the Premier League.

There was a lot of hype around him as a youngster, but he never actually got anywhere near fulfilling it, did he?

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

Everton's youngest ever player and former oinker Jose Baxter. 

Did some well documented silly stuff at the pigs and was very fortunate to be taken back in as a player at Everton. Recently retired at just 29 and they've now given him a coaching role at the club. Very lucky boy really, but hats off to Everton for looking after him again. 

• Like 1

On 06/01/2022 at 18:02, Screen Door Slams said:

Theo Walcott

Nah he had a good career. Was never supremely talented. I think the perception that he underachieved is just because Sven took him to the World Cup in 2006 at 16.

He was always just very quick. And like those players who are quick they tend to pick up their fair share of injuries.

Despite that I think he had a very good career as technical ability wise he was pretty limited. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Nah he had a good career. Was never supremely talented. I think the perception that he underachieved is just because Sven took him to the World Cup in 2006 at 16.

He was always just very quick. And like those players who are quick they tend to pick up their fair share of injuries.

Despite that I think he had a very good career as technical ability wise he was pretty limited. 

He "burnt bright" when he scored a hat-trick for England in Croatia

4 minutes ago, Screen Door Slams said:

He "burnt bright" when he scored a hat-trick for England in Croatia

He didn’t fade fast though. He had a thoroughly decent career at Arsenal.

Did he reach the heights expected? Absolutely not but, he wasn’t a flop by any means.

1 minute ago, 0wl18 said:

He didn’t fade fast though. He had a thoroughly decent career at Arsenal.

Did he reach the heights expected? Absolutely not but, he wasn’t a flop by any means.

Yeah maybe............I actually think Wenger ruined his career ............kept him on the bench continually.