Ever Caught A Match Ball At A Game!

Guest DoesJackHunt

Guest DoesJackHunt

My daughter asked me earlier In the season if I had ever caught a ball that went into the crowd. We sit in the Grandstand, so not much chance of it going up there.

I said “why, would you like to catch it?” 
she said “no!” 
When I was her Age (11) I started going at the front of the kop, last couple of years of standing, the glorious early 90’s. I remember always really wanting to catch the match ball and throw it back. 
To this day, it has never happened to me. I’m not as fussed about it now either to be honest. 
so 

1. Did anyone else desperately want to catch the match ball when they were younger?

2. Has anyone ever caught a match ball and was it a life affirming moment as I’ve always imagined it would be.

3. Who kicked the ball ? 

I caught the ball when we won away 0-3 at Derby (2008?). It was the last kick of the game and Tudgay booted it into the away end. I caught, wrapped my coat around it and smuggled it out of the ground. It now has pride of place in my cellar somewhere.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I was on the Kop that historic evening v Luton and Colin West's penalty flew past my head on its way up Herries Rd and over the five Archers Bridge if that counts. 

It was against Everton at the Leppings Lane end!

6 minutes ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

No.

West's FAMOUS penalty was at the kop end (don't know v who), and I remember thinking was he trying to get it inside the BLUE posts, not white.

Stand corrected then, thought it was that first few minutes miss against Everton in the cup where we went on to be 5-0 down by half time.

Edited by marconi
  • Thanks 1

Think I've only had 3 touches of the ball in over 40 years.

My dad caught it against Leeds in about 1982 and I touched it before he chucked it back to one of their players. It came off Zico's chest iirc and we were on about row 12 of the North. We lost 3-2.

Anfield, early 90s, ball actually hit me on the back, I was in the front row in their stand,  when it came whizzing towards us, everybody bent out of the way and it hit me after a couple of deflections which took the pace out of it. Can't recall which game it was.

Elland Road a few years ago, prob around 2013ish, we lost 2-1, on my birthday. JJ scored for us. Was on the front row (which at Elland Road means you're basically standing  underground with your eyes at the players' knee height). There was a long crossfield ball which went awry and I got a parry on it.

Like somebody said above I'm constantly terrified at away games (not so much on row 40 of the North at Hillsborough) that I'll actually get hold of the ball and make myself a laughing stock in front of thousands by throwing it back like Sheldon Cooper. 

• Haha 1

Turf moor 73 ish ,sat in the front row of the stand behind the goal and grummitt came to retrieve it .....I didn't give it back to him and chucked it down towards the corner flag seen as we were winning 0-1..I swear he a little smile on his face as I did it  .

• Love 2

Guest DoesJackHunt
4 minutes ago, alanharper said:

My dad caught it against Leeds in about 1982 and I touched it before he chucked it back to one of their players. It came off Zico's chest iirc and we were on about row 12 of the North. We lost 3-2.

Anfield, early 90s, ball actually hit me on the back, I was in the front row in their stand,  when it came whizzing towards us, everybody bent out of the way and it hit me after a couple of deflections which took the pace out of it. Can't recall which game it was.

Elland Road a few years ago, prob around 2013ish, we lost 2-1, on my birthday. JJ scored for us. Was on the front row (which at Elland Road means you're basically standing  underground with your eyes at the players' knee height). There was a long crossfield ball which went awry and I got a parry on it.

Like somebody said above I'm constantly terrified at away games (not so much on row 40 of the North at Hillsborough) that I'll actually get hold of the ball and make myself a laughing stock in front of thousands by throwing it back like Sheldon Cooper. 

Brilliant! 
You’ve had more than your fair share of balls in your hand then.😁

I stood on the front at Leeds the other year when Harrison scored and they beat us 1 0. Didn’t have a clue what was going on because I was at knee height of the players and it was just all legs….. also, bloody freezing. 

15 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Yeah, no offence. 

But with your track record of losses when you touch it, we could do without it right now.

At Blackpool back in the late 70s took my new SLR camera to the game. Got right to the front behind the wall. Lined it up for a Wednesday free-kick into the Blackpool area. Focussing…then wham! The ball being hit back for the free-kick hit me right on the end of my telephoto lens. Give me a shock and the only time I ever got near the ball. Finished 1-1 as I recall