Ever Caught A Match Ball At A Game!

Guest DoesJackHunt

Yeah against Middlesbrough in mid 90s we was in the lower lepp and the ball went out for a corner to boro. 

They were losing and I caught it and Hamilton Ricard came for it so I went to give it him then at the last second I launched it to the opposite corner flag.

Needless to say the language barrier wasn't a problem for a few seconds and for the rest of the game I got pelters from the boro fans above. 

• Haha 1

Many years ago, me, my dad and my sister had season tickets on the Leppings lane lower, back when you could briefly.

None of us caught the ball, but a guy in front of us did.   When he was jumping for it, he backwards nutted my sister (this would have been around 92 because I remember Petrescu was playing) so she was 12.

She spent the next 40 minutes with St John's ambulance and the three guys in front of us moved at half time, never to be seen again.

Just the once. Well it was more of a parry, rather than a catch.

I had always wanted to touch the matchball since my first game (Blackburn @ home 1/10/1983) and it happened in arguably the best away day following I’ve ever been in.

Remember this? April 30th 2005.

DD42FB68-5D19-4991-8784-675F91F3955F.jpeg

• Like 1

No not once, I did got to Maine Rd for an away game at the time seats were first made mandatory (they had uncomfy wooden benches) some footballs got thrown into the crowd and a mate of mine went punch one and socked straight in the jaw, ouch.

The spoilsport on the PA later asked for all the balls to be returned before kick off.

Yes, having a good away day at Bury late 70's I think, ball bounces behind our goal for a Bury corner one of the Bury players runs over and asks for the ball, without even thinking a threw the ball down towards the opposite corner flag 🤣 the player called me some names that I cannot put on here, I got a good cheer from our lot though. 

Yes, Boxing Day 2011 away at Walsall..Threw it back and it bounced off Reda Johnson’s shoulder as he wasn’t looking.

i May have also ran on the pitch when we scored but I can’t confirm this as there was a press statement at the time saying people would be banned...so again for that reason,  I can’t confirm this happened although it might have?

As a youngster, if i was not a ball boy, i was sat on the front row of the North, one game it went out for a Wednesday throw in, it landed away from me, but before the next person. I ran after the ball and threw it to Zico, as he wanted to take it quick, he launched it into the box and Chapman scored! Zico jumped back over the advertising boards and gave me a hug! I was well chuffed with myself, as if i had set up the goal!

• Love 1

Guest DoesJackHunt
3 minutes ago, Owl in Manc said:

As a youngster, if i was not a ball boy, i was sat on the front row of the North, one game it went out for a Wednesday throw in, it landed away from me, but before the next person. I ran after the ball and threw it to Zico, as he wanted to take it quick, he launched it into the box and Chapman scored! Zico jumped back over the advertising boards and gave me a hug! I was well chuffed with myself, as if i had set up the goal!

Owl in Manc - assist machine !

Not quite but at a match a few seasons ago I walking along the front of the KOP whilst warm up was underway.    My friend and I both with cups of tea in hand walking line astern with about 3 feet between us.   As normal before the netting went up, and  our strikers been as accurate as ever are balls were pinging into the lower rows of the KOP.   One of said balls, travelling at what felt like warp speed somehow passed between my friend and I before smacking a women right between the eyes.   Didn't spill a drop of tea laughing.    

43 minutes ago, peggyowl said:

Not quite but at a match a few seasons ago I walking along the front of the KOP whilst warm up was underway.    My friend and I both with cups of tea in hand walking line astern with about 3 feet between us.   As normal before the netting went up, and  our strikers been as accurate as ever are balls were pinging into the lower rows of the KOP.   One of said balls, travelling at what felt like warp speed somehow passed between my friend and I before smacking a women right between the eyes.   Didn't spill a drop of tea laughing.    

I remember being at Maine Road once when a ball got kicked into the crowd during the warm up and as often happened the fans kept it to throw about between themselves. As always happens you get a few Neanderthals who just can't act normally and somebody absolutely hurled it down towards the front as hard as they could. I was just turning around and saw this white blur heading towards me, when the lass sitting behind me also turned, and it smacked her full in the face. Tears, blood and snot everywhere.  That was awful, it could have been me.  

• Haha 1