Megson knew the best way to out of league 1.........Strength/bully teams.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I love these threads where people put their rose tinted glasses on and try to convince others that Megson's final season was a glorious entertainment filled football festival

It was HORRIFIC eye bleeding, negative, dour, defensive horror show

And he got sacked

Dave Jones comes in, says to the players "forget all those negative tactics you were forced to play, just go out, enjoy, attack, score and win"

And they did

We got promoted

Because we (rightly) SACKED Megson

We lost 3 in a row prior to the United victory and the Stevenage home game in that run was one of the worst performances I have ever seen from a side challenging for promotion. A truly awful game from 2 sides playing truly awful football, think they won from a deflected shot which was pretty much the only effort on target in the game.

There was no way we were going unbeaten and winning 10 of the last 12 under Megson at that time had we not changed. 

1 hour ago, NeonLeon said:

He was doing the job though, and I’d have rather gone into the Play Offs with him than Jones. Agree with the letting them off the leash bit though. Probably the easiest promotion Jones has on his CV. 

At the time of the sacking I would agree. I thought Milan had lost the plot. But given that Jones have us that run in culminating in the Wycombe game (the only time we will ever be able to celebrate with 38,000 in the ground AND skewer the pigs at the same time) I would definitely not have gone for the play offs with Meggo

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I love these threads where people put their rose tinted glasses on and try to convince others that Megson's final season was a glorious entertainment filled football festival

It was HORRIFIC eye bleeding, negative, dour, defensive horror show

And he got sacked

Dave Jones comes in, says to the players "forget all those negative tactics you were forced to play, just go out, enjoy, attack, score and win"

And they did

We got promoted

Because we (rightly) SACKED Megson

It’s a 10 year old argument and the same faces argument Megson now that argued against him then. 

People use bad results from the season he came in to beat Megson with but don’t credit him with turning it around. And then accuse others of having rose tinted specs on.

The fact is. Megson inherited a shitshow, turned it around and got the club averaging better than 1 win in 2 the season after. He brought in the best player this football clubs seen in 15 years and got to use him in 1 game. His style was undoubtedly dire, but it was extremely affective. 

The football now is equally as dour. In fact I’m more bored watching us now than I was watching us under Megson the year we went up. At least then we carried a threat in games and weren’t bullied out of winning positions. 

The thread is not Megson vs Jones, as I’ve already said I agree Jones got us over the line but taking off the shackles Megson’s style brought. But the shackles could only come off Megson had instilled a mentality in the squad that they were the biggest, strongest, fittest and ultimately best team in the league. I don’t see that from Moore now, which is who we’re comparing Megson’s side too. 

• Like 3

Dave Jones came in and just undid everything Megson had told them to do. 

They were sent out with the shackles let off  and attacked, he made it simple and ultimately got promoted. 

Hopefully the next manager will do the same to this team because when they go direct and attack teams they look decent but they aren’t allowed to do it at the moment. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spiderman said:

As per title, Megson knew the best way to get out of this league was to be stronger than the opposition/bully teams.I can't imagine losing that lead yesterday under the Megson regime or losing the lead like we did at Abc Wimbledon.

Under Megson is the only time ive known the opposing fans saying "we hate Sheffield Wednesday they bully teams"......that is exactly what is needed, its all well and good playing lovely free flowing fancy football from the back , but we are just not good enough to do that and this league many teams won't allow it.Get some big strong athletic lads in and lets be the bullies of this league and get us up there.

We went up cos Dave Jones took us there, the gap between us and the top was getting bigger and bigger

10 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

It’s a 10 year old argument and the same faces argument Megson now that argued against him then. 

People use bad results from the season he came in to beat Megson with but don’t credit him with turning it around. And then accuse others of having rose tinted specs on.

The fact is. Megson inherited a shitshow, turned it around and got the club averaging better than 1 win in 2 the season after. He brought in the best player this football clubs seen in 15 years and got to use him in 1 game. His style was undoubtedly dire, but it was extremely affective. 

The football now is equally as dour. In fact I’m more bored watching us now than I was watching us under Megson the year we went up. At least then we carried a threat in games and weren’t bullied out of winning positions. 

The thread is not Megson vs Jones, as I’ve already said I agree Jones got us over the line but taking off the shackles Megson’s style brought. But the shackles could only come off Megson had instilled a mentality in the squad that they were the biggest, strongest, fittest and ultimately best team in the league. I don’t see that from Moore now, which is who we’re comparing Megson’s side too. 

I agree I'd rather watch that Megson side than what Moore is currently sending out. Not because they were necessarily better players or because it was good football to watch but because we were organised and had an approach that suited the team. It didn't always work and we had some dire results when we played badly but now it is a lot more frustrating because of the disjointed approach with so many players out of position in an approach that does not suit their strengths. 

It does make me smile that the thread is titled 'Megson knew the best way out of this league' and then the thread proves that he didn't have a clue and had to be fired for us to go up

We would no way have finished top 2 had he not been fired but his basics approach would have got us top 6. 

No way Moore is going to manage that with his square pegs in round holes.

Then lost his way, started playing genuinely horrific to watch defensive football and got sacked

As I said, my main point is Moore hasn’t even got us out of the shitshow, and doesn’t look like he’s going too.

Any notion from a few that a ‘Dave Jones’ could turn this season around is fantasy. 

The club needs a Megson type to build a system that players can have some confidence in. Then we’ll see them more resilient whilst still carrying a threat. Regardless of the football not being pretty, at least when Jones came in the players knew that if they had to dig in for a handful of results Megson had left them with the tools to do so. 

This Darren Moore team wouldn’t get as many last minute winners under a different manager in March and April this season as what the 2012 promotion side did. Regardless of what you thought of Megson, you have to credit him with the mentality that squad had surely? 

• Like 1

We won’t get out of League One by fannying about and passing sideways and backwards  - we need to be more direct, faster, fitter and more committed to attacking football and unnerving the opposition.

We need to get in the opposition’s  faces more - like Paterson does.

Some players seem to be just going through the motions - Palmer, for instance, never does more than the bare minimum.

All is not lost yet this season - but it needs a change of mindset. Playing players in the right positions would help as well. With a few choice additions in the Jan transfer window, automatic promotion is not out of the question.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NeonLeon said:

As I said, my main point is Moore hasn’t even got us out of the shitshow, and doesn’t look like he’s going too.

Any notion from a few that a ‘Dave Jones’ could turn this season around is fantasy. 

The club needs a Megson type to build a system that players can have some confidence in. Then we’ll see them more resilient whilst still carrying a threat. Regardless of the football not being pretty, at least when Jones came in the players knew that if they had to dig in for a handful of results Megson had left them with the tools to do so. 

This Darren Moore team wouldn’t get as many last minute winners under a different manager in March and April this season as what the 2012 promotion side did. Regardless of what you thought of Megson, you have to credit him with the mentality that squad had surely? 

We kind of need to move Moore out the way, employ a Megson for six months and then fire him and urgently get a Dave Jones/Ryan Lowe figure in to finish it off 

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

We kind of need to move Moore out the way, employ a Megson for six months and then fire him and urgently get a Dave Jones/Ryan Lowe figure in to finish it off 

Moore is Irvine, we need the Megson to get to the end game next season. I agree.

We could also do with a Mandaric anytime now too.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

We won’t get out of League One by fannying about and passing sideways and backwards  - we need to be more direct, faster, fitter and more committed to attacking football and unnerving the opposition.

We need to get in the opposition’s  faces more - like Paterson does.

Some players seem to be just going through the motions - Palmer, for instance, never does more than the bare minimum.

All is not lost yet this season - but it needs a change of mindset. Playing players in the right positions would help as well. With a few choice additions in the Jan transfer window, automatic promotion is not out of the question.

Patterson? Did he actually touch the ball yesterday? No good getting in peoples faces if you can’t play football