Megson knew the best way to out of league 1.........Strength/bully teams.

11 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Since Carlos? I can barely remember a time when this wasn't the case. 

Whether you want to credit Megson or Jones, that team is the one exception. I feel like we had some teams beat that season just lined up in the tunnel. It's perhaps the one season in 20+ years that I think we can say we made teams play on OUR terms and dictated how we wanted games to be played. 

Beat in the tunnel!!!, Yeah reyt Chesterfield and the rest must have come on to the pitch via a different route !

3 hours ago, akbuk said:

We played absolute garbage crap to watch

Yet there are a large number of fans now calling for 4-4-2, “stop f@nnying around at back, 2 wingers, gerrit forred, play in their ‘arf. Gi ‘undred persent”

If only there was a manager who could successfully deliver those tactics in this division who would actually take the job …

14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Still got sacked

The football was dire - about as bad as it is now or under Jos

Dave Jones had to be brought in to unleash the players and get em firing

And he did

We went up

I would say that is exactly what is needed now. Sack the incumbent and find someone with fire in his belly

On 31/10/2021 at 18:25, spiderman said:

As per title, Megson knew the best way to get out of this league was to be stronger than the opposition/bully teams.I can't imagine losing that lead yesterday under the Megson regime or losing the lead like we did at Abc Wimbledon.

Under Megson is the only time ive known the opposing fans saying "we hate Sheffield Wednesday they bully teams"......that is exactly what is needed, its all well and good playing lovely free flowing fancy football from the back , but we are just not good enough to do that and this league many teams won't allow it.Get some big strong athletic lads in and lets be the bullies of this league and get us up there.

Yeah, Megson was so good at it that he got sacked because he couldn’t do it! Threads like this get right on my wick!

13 hours ago, the monk said:

Beat in the tunnel!!!, Yeah reyt Chesterfield and the rest must have come on to the pitch via a different route !

You are always going to lose games in a season. Fact is we won more games than we lost under Megson that season and he walked away with us sitting in third place. We had a clear style of play and it was overall very effective. 

How that can be seen as a failure is beyond me. Yes Jones came in and put together a fantastic run of results. But let’s not kid ourselves. Antonio played a huge role in that - a player Megson signed. And Ched Evans getting locked up absolutely winded the Pigs.  

I enjoyed that season. It was Megson’s squad that we got promoted with. It was far far more enjoyable than what we’re witnessing now under Darren Moore.

• Like 2

Guest buster123
4 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

You are always going to lose games in a season. Fact is we won more games than we lost under Megson that season and he walked away with us sitting in third place. We had a clear style of play and it was overall very effective. 

How that can be seen as a failure is beyond me. Yes Jones came in and put together a fantastic run of results. But let’s not kid ourselves. Antonio played a huge role in that - a player Megson signed. And Ched Evans getting locked up absolutely winded the Pigs.  

I enjoyed that season. It was Megson’s squad that we got promoted with. It was far far more enjoyable than what we’re witnessing now under Darren Moore.

This is the best summary of the Megson reign I’ve seen. GM did everything he could to win a game. Pretty or ugly. We’re in a division where you play to your strengths what ever they are to get promotion. Passing the ball out of the back with players who are not comfortable to so is not the answer. Plus it’s boring.