Megson knew the best way to out of league 1.........Strength/bully teams.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, that team was turning in some dire performances by the end (Chesterfield away anyone) and  would have got us into the play offs at best. It needed the extra finess Dave Jones brought to put us on the run to automatic promotion.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

I don't think we need to bully other, teams, but do need a system that the players are comfortable and is a success over the season.

Remember GM was sacked when it looked like he was falling short of the target. We looked more like a decent team when DJ came in and essentially got us to 2nd spot when I suspect his target was play offs.

Also, its 10 years ago, and L1 has changed - there's no reason why any decent manager couldn't get the current squad into the play offs - indeed DM may still do this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ever since the day's of Carlos, we have been a team other team's love to play against, just because we were/are easy to bully out of game's.

When team's lay off us and gave us time to play the Ball we usually beat them, but when, as usually happens now, team's got/get into the faces of our players our players fold.

The answer is not to bring in player's from the Prem league to ;play in the 3rd tier of English football, more bring in the better player's from league's 1&2, player's who are used to this level of football' sprinkled with jus a few player's from the Championship.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, spiderman said:

As per title, Megson knew the best way to get out of this league was to be stronger than the opposition/bully teams.I can't imagine losing that lead yesterday under the Megson regime or losing the lead like we did at Abc Wimbledon.

Under Megson is the only time ive known the opposing fans saying "we hate Sheffield Wednesday they bully teams"......that is exactly what is needed, its all well and good playing lovely free flowing fancy football from the back , but we are just not good enough to do that and this league many teams won't allow it.Get some big strong athletic lads in and lets be the bullies of this league and get us up there.

Megson got SACKED because he couldn't do the job

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Owlstalk Shop

23 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Ever since the day's of Carlos, we have been a team other team's love to play against, just because we were/are easy to bully out of game's.

Since Carlos? I can barely remember a time when this wasn't the case. 

Whether you want to credit Megson or Jones, that team is the one exception. I feel like we had some teams beat that season just lined up in the tunnel. It's perhaps the one season in 20+ years that I think we can say we made teams play on OUR terms and dictated how we wanted games to be played. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

We were 3rd iirc. Rarely had us out of the top 6 that season. He pushed for Antonio too, who arguably dragged us over the line that season. 

Still got sacked

The football was dire - about as bad as it is now or under Jos

Dave Jones had to be brought in to unleash the players and get em firing

And he did

We went up

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Still got sacked

The football was dire - about as bad as it is now or under Jos

Dave Jones had to be brought in to unleash the players and get em firing

And he did

We went up

He was doing the job though, and I’d have rather gone into the Play Offs with him than Jones. Agree with the letting them off the leash bit though. Probably the easiest promotion Jones has on his CV. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

He was doing the job though 

He really wasn't

Fans had grown sick to the back teeth of his mind numbingly defensive tactics, or had stopped going

The football was dire, the results were getting worse and worse, the atmosphere was that of a silent library.

Thank god we sacked him when we did and got promoted as a result

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, spiderman said:

As per title, Megson knew the best way to get out of this league was to be stronger than the opposition/bully teams.I can't imagine losing that lead yesterday under the Megson regime or losing the lead like we did at Abc Wimbledon.

Under Megson is the only time ive known the opposing fans saying "we hate Sheffield Wednesday they bully teams"......that is exactly what is needed, its all well and good playing lovely free flowing fancy football from the back , but we are just not good enough to do that and this league many teams won't allow it.Get some big strong athletic lads in and lets be the bullies of this league and get us up there.

We can in 2/3 years when this lot leave😆

We must have 5 threads a weeks on here saying copy what Megson did. As others rightly point out Megson wasn't taking us up - it was just above the relegation zone form from February to May (22 points from 19 games), play-off form from August to January and relegation form in February.

It was Dave Jones that got us promoted. Yet we have 0 threads a year saying let's copy what Dave Jones did.

• Like 3