The importance of Moore being a ‘nice guy’

1 hour ago, sacré bleu said:

Can you name a "nice guy" who is or has been a successful football manager? I'm struggling to think of one.

Depends on what you mean by successful and what you mean by nice. 

Does it mean that they need to be polite with the press, appear laid back under pressure etc. Moore is both of those but he might be able to hand out a hammering when needed. Arsene Wenger seemed like a gentlemen in some ways but not in others.

I'd say to make it as a professional footballer like Moore did, then you'd need a nasty streak.

Anyway, nice guys i'd go

Sir Bobby Robson

Claudio Ranieri

Arsene Wenger

Brendan Rodgers

Gareth Ainsworth (successful at his level)

Manuel Pellegrini

Carlo Ancelotti

Marcello Bielsa

Slaven Bilic

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think we have established Bobby Robson was a nice bloke.

That's the daft thing for me when people lazily just define someone as a nice guy as they do with Moore.

Sir Bobby seemed like a gent but I'm sure he had a harsh streak if people stepped out of line. 

5 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Nice guys finish last (or midtable). Players imo take the pi$$ out of managers that are to nice, like ours do. 

Nonsense.

They take the p out of crap managers.

Sir Bobby Robson was a nice guy but I'm sure that players knew where to draw the line. Gareth Southgate is England's most successful manager for a while and he seems a decent bloke.  People usually have more than one side to them, especially in a working environment. 

I'd rather have had Sir Bobby Robson as a manager over Steve Evans.

One person's 'strong, take no crap type' is another person's 'cracks under pressure' type

Edited by markg
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, sacré bleu said:

Some might argue Southgate hasn't been successful yet. From that list of names I still only count one and no one is doubting Moore is a nice guy but he's not been successful. Yet.

Depends on now you define success. It it can only mean the type of career that fergie, wenher, robson etc had then we will never meet the criteria.

and we know nothing of what Moore is like. He might just be a friendly guy. Doesn’t mean he can’t be nasty when needed 

and from my list is defo say that ranieiri was successful 

Saying whether or not someone is nice based in interviews and a bit of heresay seems a bit daft to me. Rolf Harris seemed like a smashing bloke by the same metric. He might be nice. He might not be. And what does it matter? All this ‘nice guys finish last’ sentiment is nonsense. It’s knowledge and the application of good decisions that get results. I know some horrible people who no one will work for!
It is Darren Moore’s ability to chose and implement a winning strategy that will decide his fate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CircleSeven said:

All this ‘nice guys finish last’ sentiment is nonsense. It’s knowledge and the application of good decisions that get results. I know some horrible people who no one will work for! 

The last few seasons it's been the same nutters ranting about how he's too nice that were spouting that our managers don't wave their arms about enough on the touchline during games

lol

Once you dispel one ridiculous notion they come up with another and start frothing at the mouth about that instead

Next it will be what trainers they wear

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop