Matt Penney

As someone living in Suffolk with several mates who have season tickets at Portman road, I can tell you that he is in no way “lighting it up”.  they don’t rate him at all, a few decent attacking runs, often with no end product and very poor defensively is how they describe him 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Owl247 said:

As someone living in Suffolk with several mates who have season tickets at Portman road, I can tell you that he is in no way “lighting it up”.  they don’t rate him at all, a few decent attacking runs, often with no end product and very poor defensively is how they describe him 

pretty much what he was like at us then 

• Like 1

On 17/10/2021 at 09:11, helmut_rooster said:

How is his replacement going???

Perhaps we should have picked a better replacement.

Yet to see any evidence of him 'lighting it up' at Ipswich. Seen them concede plenty of goals with him at left-back. 

On 17/10/2021 at 08:23, Tony Pulis said:

Can someone tell me why we didn’t even offer this guy a contract?

He is/was a far better option at left back than any of those who were brought into replace him, is young and has been lighting it up this season in an Ipswich side that has started poorly. He usually played well when given the chance last season as well (Bournemouth away particularly)

Also well suited to the Wing back roles we now seem to be playing.

Bit of an odd one.

Got anything to back up this 'lighting it up' he is doing?

44 minutes ago, markg said:

Maybe, maybe not. But it certainly doesn't rest on whether he offered Matt Penney a new contact or not

No one ever said it did. And there is no maybe about it. The current manager hasn’t a clue

• Haha 1

He is/was a far better option at left back than any of those who were brought into replace him, is young and has been lighting it up this season in an Ipswich side that has started poorly. He usually played well when given the chance last season as well (Bournemouth away particularly)

Bit of an odd one.

Because he didn't perform well enough.

This idea he generally played well I'm afraid just isn't true. I've never seen a player so unaware of what was going on around him as Penny.

Nice lad, I'm sure he gave his all but it was the right decision to let him go.

• Like 2

Guest mrbluesky

I am a bit of an odd one.

Lighting it up 🤣

He was an average youngster who in the years he was here failed to show the right application to numerous managers and coaches not just Moore to nail down a regular starting spot 

The only exception was Jos 

but as in with all the lads that leave us i wish Good luck to the lad in making his living in the professional game 

12 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Got anything to back up this 'lighting it up' he is doing?

Time and time again people do this. Hear about an ex player scoring a goal or something and then jump on the bandwagon that they're tearing it up, despite not watching any of their games and seeing 99.9999% of their game time. 

In those highlights v Accrington he misplaced a lazy pass and didnt close a cross down resulting in conceding 1 and almost another, which is exactly what i remember from him. 

He just wasn't good enough. 

I don't like Palmer at left back but he's a far better option at left back than Penney was. Admittedly i'd like us to have a decent left footed left back!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Time and time again people do this. Hear about an ex player scoring a goal or something and then jump on the bandwagon that they're tearing it up, despite not watching any of their games and seeing 99.9999% of their game time. 

Isn't that what happens on most threads about player performance on here?

16 minutes ago, malek said:

Miles better than anyone we played at LB this season. 

He has been at fault for a few Ipswich goals this season and their defensive record is the worst in the division.

Yes he has more technical ability than anyone we have played at LB but first and foremost a left-back needs to be able to defend and all too often he gets caught out in that respect. Palmer is a more reliable defensive left-back than he would be.