Matt Penney

20 minutes ago, malek said:

Miles better than anyone we played at LB this season. 

Disagree with that. I think that Palmer has been way better at LB than he ever was.

And for most of Penney's games, I'd say that even Johnson has performed better there. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

On 17/10/2021 at 09:23, Tony Pulis said:

Can someone tell me why we didn’t even offer this guy a contract?

He is/was a far better option at left back than any of those who were brought into replace him, is young and has been lighting it up this season in an Ipswich side that has started poorly. He usually played well when given the chance last season as well (Bournemouth away particularly)

Also well suited to the Wing back roles we now seem to be playing.

Bit of an odd one.

Got back in at LB and was responsible for a few of goals and has now been bombed out of the squad for a youngster who has never played a game of professional football btw

Guest DoesJackHunt

He wasn’t very good, didn’t work very hard and It just wasn’t working for him here. I’m not upset he’s gone. I would like us to sign a solid left back who can get up and down/play wing back in January.

Penny isn’t what we need in my opinion 

On 17/10/2021 at 08:23, Tony Pulis said:

Can someone tell me why we didn’t even offer this guy a contract?

He is/was a far better option at left back than any of those who were brought into replace him, is young and has been lighting it up this season in an Ipswich side that has started poorly. He usually played well when given the chance last season as well (Bournemouth away particularly)

Also well suited to the Wing back roles we now seem to be playing.

Bit of an odd one.

Because that’s always been the Wednesday way… In my time just look at Cantona, Holt and Vardy… And (possibly) even the sale of dicanio our best player at the time for a pittance to West Ham… 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tollertonowl said:

Because that’s always been the Wednesday way… In my time just look at Cantona, Holt and Vardy… And (possibly) even the sale of dicanio our best player at the time for a pittance to West Ham… 

What? 

What the hell does grant holt and Jamie vardy have to do with that, ridiculous post. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fudge27 said:

What? 

What the hell does grant holt and Jamie vardy have to do with that, ridiculous post. 

I thought the question was why haven’t Wednesday given a worthy player a contract?!? Both Vardy and Holt were successful in the premiership, but cast aside by Wednesday… 

10 minutes ago, Tollertonowl said:

I thought the question was why haven’t Wednesday given a worthy player a contract?!? Both Vardy and Holt were successful in the premiership, but cast aside by Wednesday… 

So the point I was trying to make was that SWFC have always made the wrong choices in the time I’ve been a supporter… H Wilkinson left because he thought the club lacked ambition when they wouldn’t support him buying players - he won the last old first division title with Leeds… then we screwed big Ron over the 2nd time through spite after he left us for his home club villa… we didn’t sign Cantona and were 3rd in the last first division with Leeds as winners and managed by Wilkinson… Cantona then left Leeds for Man U who won every year that he played (Blackburn won it when he was banned from the Crystal Palace Kung foo kick)… We let Vardy go and failed to retain Grant Holt - both players like Cantona were extremely successful elsewhere… We screwed big Ron on his return for Danny Wilson who then IMO sealed our demise by signing O’Donnell and Donnelly from the SPL on big wages… both players were deemed as sick notes and then continued with the same theme for us…So the pattern here is that Wednesday have always made the   Wrong decisions… Even Carlo getting involved with tactics rather than just watching when it looked like we would get promoted the first year he was in charge… IMO that is what cost us promotion and resulted in our current predicament… He literally took the best attacking side in the championship and turned it into a foreign borefest of playing it back/ sideways… 

10 minutes ago, helmut_rooster said:

Grant Holt was shīte for us.

He didn’t get much of a chance to develop, as is the pattern with pretty much most of the Wednesday youth team… Another pattern being that Wednesday aren’t a club that develop youth players… Or in Holts circumstances young signings…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tollertonowl said:

You had a few too many in the Black Horse! Good grief how on earth can you compare Matt Penney with Cantona?

• Haha 2

On 21/11/2021 at 06:31, soldierboyblue said:

You had a few too many in the Black Horse! Good grief how on earth can you compare Matt Penney with Cantona?

I think the point I was trying to make was the decision making at Wednesday is the only thing in the last 30yrs + that has been consistently bad... I was comparing the players - just the decision making at Wednesday being bad...

On 21/11/2021 at 00:59, Tollertonowl said:

Coz they realised their potential late in their career , what are you suggesting that we hang on to every youngster till they come good?

Every club will have similar stories.

Instead of moaning and complaining, come up with system to spot potential players with 100% accuracy.

• Like 2

Was really highly rated, but we messed up his development. 

Swapping and changing him around when he first broke into the first team. 

Don't really get the laons in place till the German one and he just never kicked on here.

Maybe needed the move to give him a kick up the backside and new enthusiasm that had been waning here. 

• Like 1

To be fair he is not doing much at Ipswich. He was an unused sub this week. I don’t think he is good enough. The mistake isn’t offering him a new contract but not replacing him and Morgan Fox with a decent left back. Unless that was supposed to have been Jayden Brown but he’s far from convincing.