Matt Penney

Can someone tell me why we didn’t even offer this guy a contract?

He is/was a far better option at left back than any of those who were brought into replace him, is young and has been lighting it up this season in an Ipswich side that has started poorly. He usually played well when given the chance last season as well (Bournemouth away particularly)

Also well suited to the Wing back roles we now seem to be playing.

Bit of an odd one.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Tony Pulis said:

He is/was a far better option at left back than any of those who were brought into replace him, is young and has been lighting it up this season in an Ipswich side that has started poorly. He usually played well when given the chance last season as well (Bournemouth away particularly)

Bit of an odd one.

Because the manager hasn’t got a clue what he’s doing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Tony Pulis said:

Bit of an odd one.

lighting it up? Wasn’t he only played half of their games after getting dropped after the first few?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He was offered a new deal (unbelievably) but thankfully went elsewhere

He started at Ipswich, got dropped due to his performances and only came back in due to injury

Since coming back in he’s been pretty poor and they been very average defensively

Pretty much the same as his career here. Whenever he got a chance he started ok and then got found out, targeted by opposites and that was that

LB is a massive question for us, but Matt Penney definitely isn’t / wasn’t the answer…he would be the worst of our current options 

Edited by McRightSide
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TheBoyBeevers said:

Showed flashes of obvious talent, and was never given a run of games to settle and prove himself (including being played in at least 3 or 4 positions). 

But for the sake of balance, he was also absolutely dreadful in the majority of the cameo-type appearances over the last 12-18 months before he was released. He looked some way short and had some glaring inadequacies. 

The problem wasn’t really that we released him, it’s that we didn’t sign a first team left back in the summer (and instead signed 4 wingers when we’re either playing with conventional full backs or wing backs depending on what mood Moore seems to be in…) 

I agree with 99% of this but I would also say that there were a couple of occasions where he did get runs in the side - same pattern, he started quite well and then got found out. 

Then when in the U23s he would just meander round the pitch taking the set pieces as if he was too good to grace the pitch with them instead of fighting for his place 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Pulis said:

Bit of an odd one.

Because he was crap!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Pulis said:

Bit of an odd one.

because he has had 7 managers and none thought he was good enough to have a run in the team. 

• Like 1