How long do we give him?

2 minutes ago, Daz said:

This is the concern. We are not far short of 20% of the season gone and how can we get a settled team if players are played in different positions one game to the next making it more difficult for us to play to a plan. We just look like 11 strangers going through the motions compounded by a negative tactical approach to games. Put all these together - what DM is totally responsible for - and the results speak for themselves. 

This is my biggest frustration of them all

That sort of messing about with starting lineups and players out of position can ruin players

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

The manager doesn't appear to know his best team, nor do we seem to know how to create chances.

The early solidity has deserted us and we are now giving away cheap goals.

I'd say something has to click in the next 5 or so games or this is going to be a tough old season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

This is my biggest frustration of them all

That sort of messing about with starting lineups and players out of position can ruin players

Yep.

Also, if you're going to play a possession based style, you've surely got to have some sort of consistency with selection?

I'm not buying that he's changing the team around to suit the opposition - he's clearly changing it because he doesn't know what his best XI is.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Moore has been excusing the rough performances this season by claiming afterwards we will get better. I’m not sure what the plan is to do that when the starting line up changes every game.  Seems to me that he works on a team in training during the week and when it performs badly at the weekend he changes it the next week. Wonder when he will land on a starting line up that will actually perform well 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, dfoster said:

And who do we get in better?

Nail on head!

We are hardly a plum job for a top manager so who is out there, currently available and a better option for a squad assembled to play a certain way. 

If we begin to drop down the league and look likely to go down, then it’s time to change. 

The thing is he signed all these new players in the summer; fantastic.  But did he have a starting eleven in mind when making those signings?  I think it’s obvious that he didn’t.  It seems like the best managers sign players to form a starting eleven and sign players in reserve to fill in when the first team players are unavailable.  We just seem to be a large group with no clear direction.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope you don't mind an outsider butting in, but here goes :

1. League One isn't a poor league. It's a very competitive one, and rarely has outstanding sides at either end of the table.

2. The fact that until about three months ago you were under an existential threat must have hampered your preparations, and if anything I'm surprised that you have got the start you have. Had your goalkeeper not dropped a rick yesterday, you would have been in the play-off mix. You still are, really.

3. Good teams that win games regularly are usually honed, rather than appearing out of thin air. My lot took seven points from the first nine games last season and by the end of the season were comfortably the best side in the Division and won the play-offs. You might have over forty more games to play yet, it is a bit early for panic.

4. I've no view on Moore,  but he keeps getting jobs and must have something to offer. He's done well to get you through the summer and keep you competitive in my view ; lots of people thought you would do far worse. I happen to think his extensive network of contacts in the game must have helped a bit.

5. I'm not sure why people have to disparage other, small clubs in the Division. I'm no fan of Fleetwood, but over the last decade, if any club has a winning mentality, they are it. Similarly, if any club is better managed and punches above its weight more effectively than Accrington, I've yet to come across them. As for Rotherham, they have cracked how to do well in this League - have you? 

6. You've chopped and changed managers with gay abandon for two decades or more - how has that worked out for you?

Moore may yet take you down the league rather than up. But he is presiding over a club with profound structural weaknesses, mercurial ownership and very precarious finances. They would undermine anyone, and will continue to do so unless some sweeping changes are made to the club's culture. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately for us and at the detriment of results, DM is using league games for experimentation.

He should know by now which position is each player’s best one - that should be known when we sign them. And then never put square pegs in round holes by playing them in different positions.

He should know by now that the better teams in this league attack more than they defend and force mistakes because ambition leads to more points.

He should know by now, after around 10 league and cup games plus weeks on the training ground what tactics to employ and what our game plan is, because if he doesn’t know it, the players certainly don’t (and it shows).

i want DM to succeed but he needs to improve - the above factors are not rocket science.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Try again, this time by critiquing the whole post and not the part that suits your argument.

It really has gone over your head what I was saying or you are deliberately avoiding the rest of my post. 

I will choose what i disagree with and respond to,not you.....of course i focus on the section i disagree with,so does everyone else,its called debating,not writing essays.

Nothing has gone over my head,i understand your opinion, i just dont agree with your view,thats it....& I think its complacent nonsense(thats my view)...

Now rather than patronising those who dont agree with you,or saying i dont understand,offer a counter argument that doesnt put words in my mouth,or make assumptions about what you think i mean

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Moore simply has to commit to a starting eleven and give them five or six games unchanged 

Although ideally you’d do that for the first few games of the season

Agree but i think the issue is he is so focused on his 'systym' that he chops and changes  in my mind looking for players to 'click'; or for a dynamic to start working....

It hasnt & in my view it wont.....

It puts unnecessary pressure on players  and they dont look comfortable on the ball,or know what to do with it..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WBridgfordowl said:

Nail on head!

We are hardly a plum job for a top manager so who is out there, currently available and a better option for a squad assembled to play a certain way. 

If we begin to drop down the league and look likely to go down, then it’s time to change. 

We do need to change....and it should be to attack more,stop playing out from the back,and outwork and out score sides we face,rather than trying to 'win' the possession stats

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Moore simply has to commit to a starting eleven and give them five or six games unchanged 

Although ideally you’d do that for the first few games of the season

What If those players are terrible in training ?

Would be pretty frustrating as a player to be smashing in 40 yarders and dribbling past everyone before finishing past BPF with a flick up followed by a Rabona volley to be told by DM , no kid, got to stick with no goals Greggers for another two months.

Just now, mcmigo said:

What If those players are terrible in training ?

Would be pretty frustrating as a player to be smashing in 40 yarders and dribbling past everyone before finishing past BPF with a flick up followed by a Rabona volley to be told by DM , no kid, got to stick with no goals Greggers for another two months.

Well I’ve been told over the last five years that it doesn’t matter how bad players are off the pitch, in training or if they’re bad eggs - you have to play them regardless

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

The manager doesn't appear to know his best team, nor do we seem to know how to create chances.

The early solidity has deserted us and we are now giving away cheap goals.

I'd say something has to click in the next 5 or so games or this is going to be a tough old season.

I agree, adding rubbish that he comes out with after games like yesterday my confidence in him is dwindling fast. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1