How long do we give him?

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

The more I think about it, if we lose to Wigan then Chansiri should sack Moore and hire Carlos Tevez as player manager.  It’s the only logical thing to do when you think about it. Obvious! 

TBH  against average Div 3 sides if we put 2 up front and played on the front foot,took BB off set pieces i think we would be in the top 2......& Tevez can stay where he is...

• Like 1

He's a nice bloke is Moore, but that's going to go only so far. 

I appreciate we are still early into the season, but I'm yet to see a great deal to offer me much encouragement. Yes, we had a few decent results at the start, but the performances were nothing to write home about. Since the defeat to Morecambe, we've been pretty awful all round, both results and performance wise. 

Admittedly, there isn't anyone jumping out to me who could come in, but we've got to start showing more. As others have said, the longer this poor run goes, the more the pressure will build. 

• Like 5

DM has a big decision to make in the Wigan game for me, does he drop BPF or play him again at the risk of another ******** up? It can't be helping the rest of the players and just creates negativity at the back and goes through the team.

Big call whatever he decides.

• Like 1

I think I’m right in saying that in the last 54 league games (since the start of last season) we’ve scored more than 1 goal, only 9 times.  That’s almost a season worth of games (45) since last August where we only celebrated scoring 1 goal, or less. It’s abysmal.  I know Moore can’t be blamed for the start of last season but the fact a new squad has been put together and it’s still rubbish, is a bit of a worry really. 

• Thanks 1

Guest OrlandoUnTrustful

Let’s put the phones and beer away till about the 15th game in. We should start to see the strongest 11 in both personnel and performance by then. We had a massive upheaval of players in the summer and it feels a bit premature to start the sacking talk now.

If by the time we are 15 to 20 games in and we are a outside the play offs by a considerable margin then we should consider a change.

A big issue for me is the lack of a big physical no 9 who can play on the shoulder. We don’t have anyone who can do that role. Someone like Keiffer Moore (I said like) is what’s required. Gregory and Kamembert aren’t good enough.

I expected a topsy-turvy start with so many new faces, I'm willing to give DM time to address the results but our lack of identify, approach and style is more concerning to me at the moment. Wigan on Tuesday is a huge game already,  anything less than a point will end DM's grace period with the majority of fans.   

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
16 hours ago, parajack said:

I will choose what i disagree with and respond to,not you.....of course i focus on the section i disagree with,so does everyone else,its called debating,not writing essays.

Nothing has gone over my head,i understand your opinion, i just dont agree with your view,thats it....& I think its complacent nonsense(thats my view)...

Now rather than patronising those who dont agree with you,or saying i dont understand,offer a counter argument that doesnt put words in my mouth,or make assumptions about what you think i mean

If your going to respond to a post by claiming it’s “complacent nonsense “ which is PATRONISING in itself, Expect to be asked in patronising terms why you think that. As yet it’s something you have failed to critique (your word not mine) as you claim. 
1- We’ve established you don’t want Moore sacked, same as me. 
2- I compared our situation to that of Ipswich. New manager, numerous new players, new style of football, not yet gelling, performances very hit and miss, 3 points less than us, favourites for league etc,  Is this correct ? You haven’t answered. 

3- I appealed for people to calm down as we’ve only played 8 games and things take patience and time. If you don’t want, calm, patience and time then what ?

I have already agreed we all would like to see fast flowing attacking football, but in my opinion that will take time. 

Wednesday managers in the last 40 years in order of win percentage:

Megson - 45.2

Wilkinson - 44.7

Carlos - 42.8

Atkinson (1st spell) - 41.5

Francis - 41.1

Irvine - 40.7

Charlton - 39.0

Bruce - 38.9

Gray - 38.2

Jones - 35.8

Shreeves - 35.5

Laws - 33.8

Sturrock - 33.7

Atkinson (2nd spell) - 33.3

Jos - 33.3

Jewell - 31.6

Pleat - 31.4

Monk - 31.0

Turner - 30.2

Moore - 29.2

Wilson - 28.8

Yorath - 28.6

Eustace - 11.1

Pulis - 10.0

Bring him home 

garymegson

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

If your going to respond to a post by claiming it’s “complacent nonsense “ which is PATRONISING in itself, Expect to be asked in patronising terms why you think that. As yet it’s something you have failed to critique (your word not mine) as you claim. 
1- We’ve established you don’t want Moore sacked, same as me. 
2- I compared our situation to that of Ipswich. New manager, numerous new players, new style of football, not yet gelling, performances very hit and miss, 3 points less than us, favourites for league etc,  Is this correct ? You haven’t answered. 

3- I appealed for people to calm down as we’ve only played 8 games and things take patience and time. If you don’t want, calm, patience and time then what ?

I have already agreed we all would like to see fast flowing attacking football, but in my opinion that will take time. 

Stop writing essays....I said your comment was complacent nonsense,i still think its complacent nonsense....Ipswich are not doing the business,comparing our performance to theirs as a measure of how well we are doing,is clutching at straws...

How well are we doing compared to the mighty WW? Acrington Stanly? (can hardly bring myself to say it)

League One

1Wigan

2Sunderland

3Milton Keynes

4Plymouth

5Rotherham

Ipswich...

image.png.aca8046026bd60242b2f732e73e8bbb6.png21st in Div 3.........whats to add? 

On 26/09/2021 at 15:24, basilrobbie said:

I hope you don't mind an outsider butting in, but here goes :

1. League One isn't a poor league. It's a very competitive one, and rarely has outstanding sides at either end of the table.

2. The fact that until about three months ago you were under an existential threat must have hampered your preparations, and if anything I'm surprised that you have got the start you have. Had your goalkeeper not dropped a rick yesterday, you would have been in the play-off mix. You still are, really.

3. Good teams that win games regularly are usually honed, rather than appearing out of thin air. My lot took seven points from the first nine games last season and by the end of the season were comfortably the best side in the Division and won the play-offs. You might have over forty more games to play yet, it is a bit early for panic.

4. I've no view on Moore,  but he keeps getting jobs and must have something to offer. He's done well to get you through the summer and keep you competitive in my view ; lots of people thought you would do far worse. I happen to think his extensive network of contacts in the game must have helped a bit.

5. I'm not sure why people have to disparage other, small clubs in the Division. I'm no fan of Fleetwood, but over the last decade, if any club has a winning mentality, they are it. Similarly, if any club is better managed and punches above its weight more effectively than Accrington, I've yet to come across them. As for Rotherham, they have cracked how to do well in this League - have you? 

6. You've chopped and changed managers with gay abandon for two decades or more - how has that worked out for you?

Moore may yet take you down the league rather than up. But he is presiding over a club with profound structural weaknesses, mercurial ownership and very precarious finances. They would undermine anyone, and will continue to do so unless some sweeping changes are made to the club's culture. 

Great post, thank you.

You have summed things up perfectly here.

Lots of people on here are too emotionally invested to see things objectively. But what you have said is bang on.

On 26/09/2021 at 15:24, basilrobbie said:

I hope you don't mind an outsider butting in, but here goes :

1. League One isn't a poor league. It's a very competitive one, and rarely has outstanding sides at either end of the table.

2. The fact that until about three months ago you were under an existential threat must have hampered your preparations, and if anything I'm surprised that you have got the start you have. Had your goalkeeper not dropped a rick yesterday, you would have been in the play-off mix. You still are, really.

3. Good teams that win games regularly are usually honed, rather than appearing out of thin air. My lot took seven points from the first nine games last season and by the end of the season were comfortably the best side in the Division and won the play-offs. You might have over forty more games to play yet, it is a bit early for panic.

4. I've no view on Moore,  but he keeps getting jobs and must have something to offer. He's done well to get you through the summer and keep you competitive in my view ; lots of people thought you would do far worse. I happen to think his extensive network of contacts in the game must have helped a bit.

5. I'm not sure why people have to disparage other, small clubs in the Division. I'm no fan of Fleetwood, but over the last decade, if any club has a winning mentality, they are it. Similarly, if any club is better managed and punches above its weight more effectively than Accrington, I've yet to come across them. As for Rotherham, they have cracked how to do well in this League - have you? 

6. You've chopped and changed managers with gay abandon for two decades or more - how has that worked out for you?

Moore may yet take you down the league rather than up. But he is presiding over a club with profound structural weaknesses, mercurial ownership and very precarious finances. They would undermine anyone, and will continue to do so unless some sweeping changes are made to the club's culture. 

POST OF THE YEAR

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

POST OF THE YEAR

L1 isnt a poor League ?(well div THREE) Really? why do we accept that as a statement?? & Q the objectivity of those who ask more of our team & its manager/(by implication) ?...

It IS a poor League......so is the one beneath it,thats the nature of the  set up isnt it?... Always has been....& why we didnt want relegating into it....is it difficult to gain promotion from? Well Rotherham managed it twice,WW,...Hull,...

It can be made difficult,that is for sure...

Its difficult because  it IS poor,..Large distances sometimes to travel,pitch surfaces & grounds sometimes leaving things to be desired,referee's & linesman  not the same quality as the Divisions above...Less income available to buy & pay player wages, less money available to spend on wages due to the rules applicable to the Division(salary cap) smaller grounds and(in some cases crowds)...Having more games to play than the Divisions above.....

Teams with a history behind them like the SWFCs & Sunderlands of the Division,seen as other teams 'Cup Finals' & teams raising their game & playing out of their skin for one game..& so on...

It is competitive(i agree with that),for the reasons i have referenced,and no doubt many others,(whicwhich is one reason why we shouldnt be making it tougher...by playing a style that requires a high level of skill & confidence,from Players playing their football in the third tier of our game..

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, parajack said:

Stop writing essays....I said your comment was complacent nonsense,i still think its complacent nonsense....Ipswich are not doing the business,comparing our performance to theirs as a measure of how well we are doing,is clutching at straws...

How well are we doing compared to the mighty WW? Acrington Stanly? (can hardly bring myself to say it)

League One

1Wigan

2Sunderland

3Milton Keynes

4Plymouth

5Rotherham

Ipswich...

image.png.aca8046026bd60242b2f732e73e8bbb6.png21st in Div 3.........whats to add? 

Essays, Plural ?

Never said Ipswich were doing the business, and wasn’t comparing performances. I was comparing the situations and the fact they were in a similar situation as us ( transition wise ).

I fail to see where appealing for calm, time and patience is being complacent. 
I’ll ask again. If you don’t agree with calm, patience and time what do you want.

WW and Accrington are teams in the same league as us on merit. We have no divine right to be above them and quoting league positions after game 8 of 46 is just ridiculous.