Thing I will be most impressed by if Darren Moore achieves it...

Palmer has been excellent for us wherever he's played and hardly ever injured. His versatility is also useful if we want to change the formation. In sure he could do a job at DM too if needed now Luongo and Hutch out. Fantastic player to have in this division and a Wednesday fan to boot. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Peacock-Farrell

Wildsmith

Palmer.             Iorfa.           Hutchinson.       Johnson

Hunt.                Dunkley.         Gibson.              Brown

Brennan

Adeniran.           Byers.              Bannan

Dele.                 Luongo.            Wing

Berahino.          Gregory.          Windass

Sow.                  Patterson.       Shodipo

Corbeanu.         Kamberi

We are only a few games in and have already had injuries to Hutchinson, Luongo, Windass & Shodipo.

You need a strong squad to compete, can see us getting stronger as the squad gells together as other teams weaken as they start to pick up injuries and suspensions etc 

Two players for every position is the general rule and we are only a couple of players over that in total.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Paterson and Brown playing wide forwards would suggest that Moore doesn’t yet think we have “great wide forward options”.

I hope Sow, Shodipo or Corbeanu shine, but I do wonder if we’ve acquired lots of so-so wingers rather than one or two top quality first-pick certs.

Maybe it was a case of the newer lads not being fully settled in yet. Obviously Paterson was here last season, and Brown was one of the first signings of the summer (plus he was at Huddersfield so probably hasn’t moved house), whereas Sow has just moved from another country, Shodipo’s injured, and Corbeanu’s a young lad who hasn’t played much professional football.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Maybe it was a case of the newer lads not being fully settled in yet. Obviously Paterson was here last season, and Brown was one of the first signings of the summer (plus he was at Huddersfield so probably hasn’t moved house), whereas Sow has just moved from another country, Shodipo’s injured, and Corbeanu’s a young lad who hasn’t played much professional football.

Yes, all true, and I’m just throwing it out there.

I hope one or two of the new lads will make a compelling case to be our RW or LW very soon. Plus I expect Windass to be a near ever-present wide forward once fit.

I really really hope DM doesn’t see him as a CF this season.

• Like 2

This isn’t a dig at Palmer, I do think he makes our squad stronger. If you look at RB, when he has competed with Hunt for the position, previous managers have always gone with Hunt over Palmer. And, we must pick a left footer at LB. While Palmers strong defensive strengths have helped keep the cleans sheets, as clearly shown in the other stats article, we are just not attacking at all down our left flank. Everyone else will have seen this and will overload to stop our RHS. If we want to win the league, we need to attack equally down the left, with a left footed full back. This isn’t an issue with Palmer, he is a right back.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Yes, all true, and I’m just throwing it out there.

I hope one or two of the new lads will make a compelling case to be our RW or LW very soon. Plus I expect Windass to be a near ever-present wide forward once fit.

I really really hope DM doesn’t see him as a CF this season.

I think the new lads plus Windass will eventually be first choice once they’re fit and settled; I expect Brown and Johnson to compete at LB, and Paterson… well, who knows where he’ll play.

Not a slight on Brown or Paterson but they aren’t natural wingers/wide forwards to fit into a 4-3-3 from what I’ve seen. They don’t get into the box much or offer much goal threat from out wide which is a crucial part of making the system work - against Morecambe we struggled to get men in the box to support Gregory, but some comments from the pizza cup game suggested Corbeanu and Sow were able to do that more, which is promising. Then there’s Berahino as well, not sure if he’ll be another wide option or if he’ll play as a striker. It’s going to be good when it clicks though!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Paterson and Brown playing wide forwards would suggest that Moore doesn’t yet think we have “great wide forward options”.

I hope Sow, Shodipo or Corbeanu shine, but I do wonder if we’ve acquired lots of so-so wingers rather than one or two top quality first-pick certs.

I don't think so. Shodipo has been injured and the other two have just signed. Once all the other wingers are fit Patterson won't be playing. Brown has looked good.

Getting back on topic.  The thing that will most impress me, and convince me have really got a great manager on our books is what he does with Berahino.

IF he can get firing and back to what he was then we have a hell of a player on our hands. If he can’t then he has only failed in line with many other managers since his West Brom days.

1 hour ago, Box_Man said:

Peacock-Farrell

Wildsmith

Palmer.             Iorfa.           Hutchinson.       Johnson

Hunt.                Dunkley.         Gibson.              Brown

Brennan

Adeniran.           Byers.              Bannan

Dele.                 Luongo.            Wing

Berahino.          Gregory.          Windass

Sow.                  Patterson.       Shodipo

Corbeanu.         Kamberi

We are only a few games in and have already had injuries to Hutchinson, Luongo, Windass & Shodipo.

You need a strong squad to compete, can see us getting stronger as the squad gells together as other teams weaken as they start to pick up injuries and suspensions etc 

Two players for every position is the general rule and we are only a couple of players over that in total.

If Palmer is going to be competing with hunt at rb that gives us a little more freedom in attacking areas. Will Moore go with Palmer or hunt on the bench ? 

4 hours ago, shandypants said:

This would be the same Liam Palmer that has starter every game so far this season? I think that Moore really rates Palmer. Also, Moore has listed Palmer (along with Hutchinson) as a deputy captain when Bannan is not playing - that gives the impression of faith in the player. . 
TBH, you’re post feels like a bit of the old classic veiled attack on Palmer - I could be wrong but it has that feel about it. 

He’s the best defensive right back and Hunt is the best attacking right back IMO. If you could combine the best attributes of the two then you’d have one hell of a player. I think that he is playing left back purely because he is more adaptable than Hunt and I personally wouldn’t know who to pick if they both were competing for one place. Palmer is definitely one of the best players in the club. 

Couldn’t disagree more with the slight on Palmer I think he has been excellent this season. My point was it gives us a bit better balance when Johnson is in at left back and if that’s the case either Palmer or Hunt is going to be aggrieved if they lose the right back spot.

ive always rated Palmer, yes he has his weaknesses but so do all players and people forget he had reinvented himself so many times… he started off in the team way back when as a midfielder (which I still think he could do a job at by the way)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

If Palmer is going to be competing with hunt at rb that gives us a little more freedom in attacking areas. Will Moore go with Palmer or hunt on the bench ? 

That was my whole point… keeping all them happy when I reality none that have played so far really deserve benching at the min 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Blue_&_white_wizards said:

That was my whole point… keeping all them happy when I reality none that have played so far really deserve benching at the min 

I suppose the hope is that competition drives them all to perform even better when they get the shirt. Don’t perform, there’s a quality player ready to take your place

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Blue_&_white_wizards said:

Keeping all these players happy!

I can't imagine many of these players have come here to sit on the bench or the players that have come on loan that their parent club will be happy if there is a lack of involvement.

I know its a long old season and we are going to pick up knock etc but if you pick most positions its really difficult to pick the starting line up.

Great initially in terms of getting people chomping at the bit fighting for a place but are we going to see some unrest when players don't make it week after week or play a it part.

First casualty I can see is Liam Palmer... I think he had been outstanding so far this season and does not deserve dropping, but can't see him displacing Hunt and I think Marvin Johnson will move into the left back slot

I can see Palmer being right back with Hunt missing out

On 01/09/2021 at 14:03, Blue_&_white_wizards said:

Keeping all these players happy!

I can't imagine many of these players have come here to sit on the bench or the players that have come on loan that their parent club will be happy if there is a lack of involvement.

I know its a long old season and we are going to pick up knock etc but if you pick most positions its really difficult to pick the starting line up.

Great initially in terms of getting people chomping at the bit fighting for a place but are we going to see some unrest when players don't make it week after week or play a it part.

First casualty I can see is Liam Palmer... I think he had been outstanding so far this season and does not deserve dropping, but can't see him displacing Hunt and I think Marvin Johnson will move into the left back slot

I think Palmer has been more impressive than Hunt so far this season. My take on things is that Hunt and Gregory along with Palmer are the principal  competitors for the fullback spots. At the moment Palmer and Hunt have been preferred in a solid defence. That may change but I wouldn't bank on it.

Agree on your general point but I'd prefer this to what we've had in the recent past. Anyway we've already seen that injuries and fatigue opens doors for others. When given the chance they have to take it.

For me it's Promotion, Darren Moore will do a good job, it's whether our chairman allows it to happen.

We get lots of positive then DC or the club have a tendency to throw a spanner into the works every few weeks/ months.

it's no coincidence that the best period in DC's 7 year tenure has come, when we have not seen too much of DC. We all hope he has finally learnt his lessons then we read that fans are still owed £100 each for season ticket money from 18 months ago and the list of excuses are like a kid who hasn't done his homework. The dog are it, is about the only one he has not used.

• Like 1