Marvin Johnson

2 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Hunt was garbage today , Palmer played very well as usual 

No one was garbage today - well maybe except Kamberi when he came on. 

It was a good performance but unfortunately Gregory had his boots on the wrong feet and Palmer switched off underneath a simple high ball

Even the goal was unfortunate, Adeniran (who was excellent btw) was right to his man and it just hit him

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Hunt was garbage today , Palmer played very well as usual 

I actually thought Hunt did ok. Could have played a better ball into the box in the 1st half but otherwise was no worse than anyone else. Was a bit of a nothing game I thought. Performance was solid if unspectacular. Should have won. Palmer did ok also, although the defense was hardly tested. But fair enough if you rate Palmer as a better RB than Hunt. Time will tell i guess

10 minutes ago, ruscol85 said:

I actually thought Hunt did ok. Could have played a better ball into the box in the 1st half but otherwise was no worse than anyone else. Was a bit of a nothing game I thought. Performance was solid if unspectacular. Should have won. Palmer did ok also, although the defense was hardly tested. But fair enough if you rate Palmer as a better RB than Hunt. Time will tell i guess

Played an horrific ball into Adeniran that was intercepted and cost Byers a booking , messed up a few times resulting in them getting corners from nothing, and ducked out of the ball from the corner they scored from 

8 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Played an horrific ball into Adeniran that was intercepted and cost Byers a booking , messed up a few times resulting in them getting corners from nothing, and ducked out of the ball from the corner they scored from 

Fair enough. Wasn’t really watching any of the match to that level of forensic detail tbh. I rate him, you clearly don’t. Can’t all be the same can we

10 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Previous games I thought he was so-so to poor. Today he was excellent. I think LB might suit him more than winger, especially in games like today where we dominate teams.

I like Palmer a lot, but we saw today the benefit of a left-footed LB/WB. Really impressive display.

Yep - there was a discussion on here about trying a natural left-footer at left-back a week or so ago, with some of us suggesting it as something we'd like to see at some point. As it is, we got to see it sooner than expected due to the injury situation.

So far this season, our attacking play has largely been focussed down our right flank, with Hunt getting forward and getting crosses in, whereas Palmer tended to sit back and offer more defensive solidity on the left.

However, with Johnson at left-back today, he put in almost twice as many crosses in one game than Palmer has in four games combined, which saw our left-back put in more crosses than Hunt for the first time so far this season, too:

Crosses from left-back:

Charlton - 2

Doncaster - 1

Fleetwood - 1

Rotherham - 0

Morcambe - 7

Crosses from right-back:

Charlton - 2

Doncaster - 2

Fleetwood - 6

Rotherham - 2

Morcambe - 6

It also had the effect of balancing our approach play across the team a bit more: the right flank was still dominant, but not by nearly as much as in recent games:

Charlton:

531868682_Screenshot2021-08-28at19_18_55.png.a3e6ed028d679c92e10ac4c9eec24775.png

Doncaster:

537570924_Screenshot2021-08-28at19_18_47.png.28c1f20dc4e024b8cfed998e6e473345.png

Fleetwood:

1498613439_Screenshot2021-08-28at19_18_38.png.1581664ecf5789a478a792fb727ddd84.png

Rotherham:

1463065633_Screenshot2021-08-28at19_18_12.png.60b3e639a16bd6d9f77e79baa7eda6fd.png

Morcambe:

1005565390_Screenshot2021-08-28at19_18_02.png.dd0c58f1596e25d46449c75720f22f37.png

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ruscol85 said:

Fair enough. Wasn’t really watching any of the match to that level of forensic detail tbh. I rate him, you clearly don’t. Can’t all be the same can we

No not at all pal , I suppose we All see different things in a game 

Guest timrud

Thanks for posting those stats up, backed up my gut feeling that Johnson way much better than Palmer at left back. Indeed, the stats show he was even better than I initially thought, getting more crosses in one game than Palmer managed all season.

Refreshing to see us balanced.

18 hours ago, yeadonowl said:

Much better today. Him and Brown provided balance on the left

In comparison the right hand side was lopsided and provided very little threat. We have to stop playing players out of position. Patterson and Kamberi are not wide players 

You’ve not seen Alex Miller’s tweet about players training during the week in roles different to the ones they are more familiar with? 

You’re going to have to get used to seeing players played out of position because it looks to me as though Moore wants his players to be able to take any position in the pitch and be comfortable with it.

This is going to drive the experts on here bonkers but remember Ajax and Total Football. I think we’re going to see Moore’s version here of it and posters on here are going to go apesh!t when we have days like yesterday but give it time and I see it working and giving us longevity unlike Wilder’s overlapping centre backs have given United.

Think we need to understand you don't need 10 outstanding individuals in the outfield positions. We need a coherent team unit whose cogs link up, are well oiled, and work well as a unit.

Football is a team game helped by having a well rehearsed, slick passing style of play with everyone switched on to their roles and those of others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Asio otus said:

Andy Giddings made some derogatory comments about Johnson, something on the lines of he has been a disappointment since he signed!!!! Guess it was just one of Giddings usual banal  baseless comments.

That's not quite how he phrased it, more along the lines of not everyone has been impressed with his performances since he signed, something along those lines and it's a completely accurate statement. And he was much improved against Morecambe as the majority have said on here.

18 hours ago, McRightSide said:

BPF

Hunt

Iorfa

Hutchinson

Johnson

Adeniran

Byers

Bannan

Corbenau

Gregory

Windass

Can’t wait for that 

If you want to go a bit more defensive then you play Brown instead of Windass and Luongo instead of Byers

yep , looks strong but even with that your missing out Shodipo , wing , and others . 

think the team you pointed out would be exciting , I think at the moment the Paterson wide right and brown left isn’t going to score many and lacks that creativity. There’s no need to play 2 defensive wingers imo .