The Ipswich Fans View on us

So .. in summary.... no-one has the slightest idea.

Could win the league with over 100 points, could go out of existence all together.

Welcome to Mr Chasiri's Wonderful Wednesday Wheel of Fortune.

Hope you're feeling lucky!

Spin away.

• Like 1

The general impression I'm getting with most predictions, whether just a fan or so called professional expert, is that most people don't have much of a clue about the other sides in this division.

By our usual standards, this has been one of our most straight forward pre-season in many a year, but it appears the narrative is very much skewed by the relegation and the issues with late salary payments etc.

Of course, those issues could rear their head again.

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313

I was worried about back to back relegations but things have changed since then.. and it has come down to the chairman putting his hand in his pocket.

The trajectory when we went down was that players weren’t being paid, we’d released half the squad and it felt like a certainty that Bannan, Iorfa and Windass would be sold given the financial hole we were in. And another points deduction seemed likely given the missed wages, so I expected us to start the season on -6 with no good players left and a bunch of kids and cheap frees, so relegation looked likely.

However, fast forward 2 months and we’ve recruited well, financial issues sorted short term and points deduction avoided, plus best players looking like staying. We have the two best centre halves in the league easily, probably the best right back.. then the best centre mid in Bannan plus a few quality additions in midfield as well. Striker wise I think we’ll bring another in, and we’ll have to see how the two loans get on.

So all in all, not sure on goals but very solid base there.. should be top 6 and maybe push on if we can build momentum 

1 minute ago, soldierboyblue said:

That is the only bit of the squad that worries me to be fair. An experienced CB would be good to bring in also

Yes.

We look pretty good in most areas, but no Windass is a problem. Hopefully, we get a new striker in ASAP. Gregory would do a good job here imo.

Agree on the CB. Big Dom and Hutch should be very good at this level, but what if one gets injured?

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Yes.

We look pretty good in most areas, but no Windass is a problem. Hopefully, we get a new striker in ASAP. Gregory would do a good job here imo.

Agree on the CB. Big Dom and Hutch should be very good at this level, but what if one gets injured?

I think we are 2 players light CB and CF - Still a month left in the window lets see what happens. I think that Paterson will start up front with the new lad.

Will be interesting to see where he goes with the defense - 3 CBs or a 442. As always it's going to be an interesting ride so lets get strapped in for another roller coaster

Four-Four-Two predicted us for 11th, another article had us for 2nd.

All fun and no one knows how it will pan out. Need some goals in the team, that no. 9 of course.
We have waited some time for our midfield to play their part. It would be nice to have a midfield contributing to the goals. With the likes of Wing, Shodipo in the team, hopefully that will happen. 

5 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

I think Corbeanu is going to be our ace in the hole.

Gonna be our league 1 Thierry Henry 

winger converted into striker absolutely making a mockery of the league one defences 

And then the fans will fall in love and call for him to sign with us for the next 15 years  which he won’t been down this route before

1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I admire your optimism and really hope that you are right in your appraisal. Bannan and Hutchinson were part of a truly dreadful team last season (remember defeats to Rovrum, Wycombe, Forest etc). Although fans favourites for their commitment and affinity to SWFC they were poor Championship level. Hunt is deemed surplus to requirements at Brizzle who were almost as poor as us. Lots of the other signings are unknown and untried and could literally be revelations or rubbish. Wing and Shodipo look like very good business. I’m predicting mid table and hoping we don’t get dragged into a relegation fight but hoping to be proved spectacularly wrong. 

Think this is glass half empty stuff. Bannan struggled the first half of the season as Monk and Pulis wanted to hoof it. Hutchinson hadn't even signed when we lost to Wycombe, Forest and Rotherham the first time (when Lees got sent off in the first half). Hunt was one of the top appearance makers for Bristol last season.

The second defeat to Rotherham was depressing but freakish rather than dreadful. We had almost twice as many shots (the xG said on balance of chances it should have been 2-0 to Wednesday). Their goalkeeper was man of the match, and according to Who Scored the best two outfield players for Rotherham were Wing and Crooks, who now play for us and for Boro. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

I think we are 2 players light CB and CF - Still a month left in the window lets see what happens. I think that Paterson will start up front with the new lad.

Will be interesting to see where he goes with the defense - 3 CBs or a 442. As always it's going to be an interesting ride so lets get strapped in for another roller coaster

I really don't think we will see either a 4-4-2 or 3 at the back much or at all this season

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I really don't think we will see either a 4-4-2 or 3 at the back much or at all this season

Will be interesting as he has now signed out and out wingers - unless he aims to play them inside. I'm genuinely positive about the season and we have players who have actual pace going forward. Can't wait for tomorrow and for how he lines us up

We are desperate for some quality to scare the goals we need. That could transform things massively. But ATM we are being linked with more deadwood..... Unless a shock comes along, which could..... I think lower mid table as it stands but with good striker or strikers could be playoffs. I don't think some see the amount of teams down here will be in the fight for promotion.

I just hope we have saved the best till last! Right now I think lots are getting carried away like some did at this time last season when not sorting who was going to score the goals ended up in us getting relegated!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Just now, soldierboyblue said:

Will be interesting as he has now signed out and out wingers - unless he aims to play them inside. I'm genuinely positive about the season and we have players who have actual pace going forward. Can't wait for tomorrow and for how he lines us up

4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 IMO. Corbeanu is more of an inside forward, as is Shodipo. I think both would be wasted in a 4-4-2, but we will see. Plus I just love the idea of a 4-2-3-1 with that "3" being 

Shodipo         Windass         Corbeanu

Looks like a fluid and tricky support line for whoever the out-and-out striker is.

Anyway, pretty pattern and squad building aside, I like you am pretty darn pumped about the start of the season. A side that can and hopefully will attack with some purpose and confidence. A genuine treat after the last couple of years.

• Like 1