The Ipswich Fans View on us

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 IMO. Corbeanu is more of an inside forward, as is Shodipo. I think both would be wasted in a 4-4-2, but we will see. Plus I just love the idea of a 4-2-3-1 with that "3" being 

Shodipo         Windass         Corbeanu

Looks like a fluid and tricky support line for whoever the out-and-out striker is.

Anyway, pretty pattern and squad building aside, I like you am pretty darn pumped about the start of the season. A side that can and hopefully will attack with some purpose and confidence. A genuine treat after the last couple of years.

I love seeing pace in the squad bit like the days of Esijas and JJ! Hopefully we will have more end product!

39 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Think this is glass half empty stuff. Bannan struggled the first half of the season as Monk and Pulis wanted to hoof it. Hutchinson hadn't even signed when we lost to Wycombe, Forest and Rotherham the first time (when Lees got sent off in the first half). Hunt was one of the top appearance makers for Bristol last season.

The second defeat to Rotherham was depressing but freakish rather than dreadful. We had almost twice as many shots (the xG said on balance of chances it should have been 2-0 to Wednesday). Their goalkeeper was man of the match, and according to Who Scored the best two outfield players for Rotherham were Wing and Crooks, who now play for us and for Boro. 

Maybe it is glass half full. Only time will tell. My point is that I feel some of us are going overboard about our prospects based on hope and aspiration rather than reality. The current squad consists of essentially failed Championship players (we finished bottom 4 however people view it & Brizzle weren’t much better! ) and players who are yet to prove themselves. I exclude Wing and Shodipo from this analysis. They are very good acquisitions.  Even if our new players are inspired choices, there are a lot of them and they surely will take time to gel as a team. 

Please don’t get me wrong, I hope as much as anyone that HMSPTL sails triumphantly up the Don in May to a ticker tape welcome but I can’t  honestly understand the levels of optimism. 

7 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Maybe it is glass half full. Only time will tell. My point is that I feel some of us are going overboard about our prospects based on hope and aspiration rather than reality. The current squad consists of essentially failed Championship players (we finished bottom 4 however people view it & Brizzle weren’t much better! ) and players who are yet to prove themselves. I exclude Wing and Shodipo from this analysis. They are very good acquisitions.  Even if our new players are inspired choices, there are a lot of them and they surely will take time to gel as a team. 

Please don’t get me wrong, I hope as much as anyone that HMSPTL sails triumphantly up the Don in May to a ticker tape welcome but I can’t  honestly understand the levels of optimism. 

Yeah, fair enough. It's all about how quickly the players gel and how many points we pick up on the road playing against clubs we have very little experience of playing.

I guess my argument is that League One is a league full of failed Championship players, so there should be nothing to fear.

• Like 1

I think we've got a squad to challenge the top 6, but then truth be told this is going to be a learning experience for all of us.

It is 10 years since we last played at this level and I doubt many of us will have been keeping close tabs on it.

Thankfully, our manager knows this level pretty well.

1 hour ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

Going to have a 10er 

Wednesday  promotion 

West Brom promotion 

Bradford promotion 

city to win the league 

I’ve gone

Wednesday win league

West Brom win league

Chesterfield promoted

Man U FA CUP

£10 pays £43k 🤑

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I saw a thread not that long ago which said our season hinged on the strikers/forwards we sign and it’s very hard not to disagree with that.

Going into the season with a goalkeeper that is neither Wildsmith or Dawson is a massive boost. I think BPF will prove to be an inspired signing.

The back four has the potential to be one of the strongest in the league. When people think of Jack Hunt they remember his willingness to get forward, not many remember is that he was a regular member of the best back line we’ve probably had in the last 21 years that posted GA records in the play-off seasons of 45 a piece and countless clean sheets. Once again potentially an inspired bit of business. I also think Hutchinson will be a class apart this season and is my tip for player of the season.

If Bannan stays along with Wing we have 2 stand out midfielders for this level. Chuck in Adeniran, Byers and a fully fit Luongo, we should potentially have one of the best midfield departments in the league.

The big quandary is up front. Do we have the quality? Anyone of Shodipo, Green, Corbeanu, Kamberi and Gregory if he signs could come good. We need at least two to do so and bang in 10+. Paterson and Windass could also contribute but I think their Wednesday futures are in the balance at the moment?

So we could do it this season but who knows? It’s Wednesday, anything’s possible.

They have us all over the top half. Which is reasonable. Even if the players take time to gel, there should be too much quality to struggle at this level, but how well will depend on how quickly they adapt - there is probably going to be 5-8 new players each match, and if someone can score the goals

This league is hard to predict.  Living just outside Ipswich I remember clearly how they thought they would be promoted back to the championship at the first attempt.  Plenty of my mates  down here stuck bets on for them to be champions and get 100 points. 

I think with a good out and out striker coming in and injuries permitting that we have potential to be challenging top 6 this season.