Patience

Agree. Although we have a promising and exciting team I think it will take a while for us to adapt. I can see some bad results in unexpected places. We need to ride the storm and stick with them (unless we are doing dramatically bad). In my heart we could go up automatically but it never goes like that for us does it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

If we aren't ten points clear after three games, Moore needs to be booted out.

Of course.

This isn’t a thread designed to slow down HMS pisss the league. Just that we need to be patient as she sets sail.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

So many new players. Not been this excited for a new season in ages. 

But IF we have a slower than ideal start to the season, let’s not revert to type & turn the air around the club toxic again. If we win our first few games and then taste a couple of defeats in a row, it isn’t the end of the world either.

Whilst promotion is the aim this season, we all need to buy into this as a long term project that Moore is undertaking. It’s almost a brand new squad. A lot of these guys haven’t played in this type of club before. 

We’ve tried the throwing money at it and put everything we have into one season route. It didn’t work. Promotion is, again, the aim. But it’s a difficult league and ups and downs are gonna be had.

Not saying we all need to turn into happy clappers. But a bit of patience and support will go a long way this season I think.

Completely agree and well said. It’s the most positive I’ve been in ages. I do think Moore is doing a good job on the recruitment side and we already look better balanced. Some work to do but I see what he’s trying to do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

Agree. Although we have a promising and exciting team I think it will take a while for us to adapt. I can see some bad results in unexpected places. We need to ride the storm and stick with them (unless we are doing dramatically bad). In my heart we could go up automatically but it never goes like that for us does it. 

Of course. If we haven’t gotten close to a win after 10 games then that’s different - elephants in the Don etc etc 

And yes we are probably going to win the league as champions in an invincible style season anyway. 

But IFFFFF that doesn’t happen. It’s fine. It’s cool. In Moore we trust. Long term project. We’re starting the foundations of a brand new club culture hopefully.

• Like 1

Our relegation last year wasn't a defeat, it was our Dunkirk moment.  It appears we are in retreat, but we're not.  

A slow start doesn't mean we've given up on capturing Burnley, it just means we are wisely biding our time for good seas and a fair wind.  And then, we'll land and advance and smash the ******** to pieces.   Every single club that stands in our way will be burnt to the ground in a senseless orgy of footballing masterclasses that will redraw lines on maps.

Operation OhLord begins now.

• Haha 1

Quietly hoping we get off to a good start but I’m not going to be surprised if we don’t do that well this season with the amount of players brought in.

we have to keep strengthening preseason to preseason now and not make the same mistake holding onto the same team for years.

Edited by stocksyuto

I was thinking about this last night. We have so many new players that have hardly played any friendlies together. I wish we could have got them in earlier to get use to each other’s games etc. I think it is going to take a while to get us playing as a team. Just hope we don’t drop to many points while this happens. 

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We’ve signed 5 players on loan. Yes the team needs time to gel, but signing loan players is usually a quick fix to get you promoted. 

Of course. Which is why the aim is absolutely promotion. And I think we’ll do It tbh. We had a TONNE of loanees in the 2011/12 promotion season. Ben Marshall, Danny Batth, Antonio, Bywater, McGoldrick, Watt, Tavernier, Treacy, Bostock, Ranger. Not all at the same time but all featured at some point.

Difference is we’ve got them all in at the start of the season and hopefully we’ll be sticking with them all throughout.

But we still might not have the fast out the traps start to the season everyone’s hoping for. Or we might stutter in a couple of months.

Im just calling for patience throughout this promotion charge of a season.

I don't want to bump my dead-on-the-vine thread again, but...well, it seems relevant here.

Not only does the squad need time to gel, but some of our younger players may need time to get used to playing in front of crowds, never mind 20k+ ones.

Hopefully the experienced defence of Peacock-Farrell, Hutchinson, Iorfa, Hunt, Palmer, and Dunkley with Bannan (and perhaps Gregory) ahead of them can help see us through the choppy early-season waters while the promising youngsters acclimatise and get to grips with the task at hand.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I don't want to bump my dead-on-the-vine thread again, but...well, it seems relevant here.

Not only does the squad need time to gel, but some of our younger players may need time to get used to playing in front of crowds, never mind 20k+ ones.

Hopefully the experienced defence of Peacock-Farrell, Hutchinson, Iorfa, Hunt, Palmer, and Dunkley with Bannan (and perhaps Gregory) ahead of them can help see us through the choppy early-season waters while the promising youngsters acclimatise and get to grips with the task at hand.

Surely it works both ways get the support from the crowd it will lift them and will be eager to do it again.

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Surely it works both ways get the support from the crowd it will lift them and will be eager to do it again.

Yes, that's my point - the nature of our 'support' could make or break their season.

Get behind them, excuse the odd mistake, encourage them to do better, and we should see the best of them; get on their backs early doors, and that becomes less likely.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

So many new players. Not been this excited for a new season in ages. 

But IF we have a slower than ideal start to the season, let’s not revert to type & turn the air around the club toxic again. If we win our first few games and then taste a couple of defeats in a row, it isn’t the end of the world either.

Whilst promotion is the aim this season, we all need to buy into this as a long term project that Moore is undertaking. It’s almost a brand new squad. A lot of these guys haven’t played in this type of club before. 

We’ve tried the throwing money at it and put everything we have into one season route. It didn’t work. Promotion is, again, the aim. But it’s a difficult league and ups and downs are gonna be had.

Not saying we all need to turn into happy clappers. But a bit of patience and support will go a long way this season I think.

Agree with everything you say, except the bit about promotion.

Apart from the cluster***k of Chansiri's administration, our biggest problem is lack of continuity. 2, 3 even 4 managers per season means multiple formations and styles of play, and players being out, in then out of favour again.

For me, after the horrors of last season, I'll be happy just to stop the rot. To break out of the downward spiral we've been in since the second play-off defeat, aim for a bit of stability and start building a new squad which may not be immediate contenders but which with good coaching can improve. To do that, we need to stick by Darren Moore, because if we bin him midway through the season then all the old problems return. I've no idea whether, long term, we'll go places with him at the helm, but for now he's doing all the right things. He just needs time. Does anyone remember Bolton's trajectory last season? Diabolical first half to the season, but when it eventually clicked they turned things round big time. But to do that, they had to stick with the manager when things weren't going so well.

• Like 2