Patience

I have to say I think there’s a lot of ‘over optimism’ on Twitter/Facebook etc. I use that phrase because it is fairly standard for teams to be completely re built when so many players walk out for nothing.

So signing loads of new players is normal, and personally I don’t think the club should be lauded for this. That said, it’s obvious moore has been given the chance to put his own spin on things certainly compared to previous managers, and that he has been able to use his reputation and personality to persuade players to join who may have had the chance to play in the championship. 

As others have said, when such a re build has been needed it would be very difficult to hit the ground running just because there hasn’t been the time to gel. 

Best of luck anyway to the boys, I’ve been lucky enough to get a ticket for the opening game and can’t wait. 

• Love 1

I agree 100%.

It will take time for players to gel, DM to find his best 11 and could be a slow start. However, the optimism from this window comparing to last few seasons, really shows that we are finally recruiting the right calibre of players. 

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl

Been a good summer so far, Very optimistic. Looks like there’s now a plan in place and we need to move on from previous nightmares and back the team. Doesn’t benefit anyone concerned with the club to get on their backs if we don’t win the first few games. 
UTO

Totally agree about patience. With so many kids around the first team we will have some ups and downs. I think the main thing is developing these kids. If we go up, for me it’s a bonus, but I would be prepared to give DM a rebuild season this year. Mid to top six won’t be a  disaster. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I don't want to bump my dead-on-the-vine thread again, but...well, it seems relevant here.

Not only does the squad need time to gel, but some of our younger players may need time to get used to playing in front of crowds, never mind 20k+ ones.

Hopefully the experienced defence of Peacock-Farrell, Hutchinson, Iorfa, Hunt, Palmer, and Dunkley with Bannan (and perhaps Gregory) ahead of them can help see us through the choppy early-season waters while the promising youngsters acclimatise and get to grips with the task at hand.

This!! They are being asked to play attacking, expansive football. Playing it out from the back, they will need to be brave and take chances. Lets not get on their back if they misplace a pass.

This season more than ever, needs our fanbase to be an extra man and cher the lads home! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

This!! They are being asked to play attacking, expansive football. Playing it out from the back, they will need to be brave and take chances. Lets not get on their back if they misplace a pass.

This season more than ever, needs our fanbase to be an extra man and cher the lads home! 

I'm on it...

Cher.gif.4e141267fc5718b2d29ec1f3fa46b6ae.gif

😉

• Haha 3

Think we have made good signings but there really isn't a tonne of experience there. Its going to be tough for a lot of the new lads, fans need to give them a chance and get behind the team.

We have got a really tough first couple of games against Charlton and Doncaster let these be free passes for the players as they bed in.

We have a lot of new players to bed in and none of our strikers have had any pre season games,  so don't expect us to come out firing from the off. Will take a few games to get into our stride.

The same  could be said for most teams though, that's why the start of the season games are so unpredictable. I'm in it for the long haul, right behind this project and confident quality will tell over the course of the season. Take away the off field antics of the owner and we can be competitive on the pitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Patience is not something that is in good supply among Sheffield Wednesdays fan base.

However, you are correct, I hope we start well but I believe we will get better as we go on.

Lived through the best part of a quarter of a century doing nothing. Think we are pretty patient to be fair.

• Like 1

Interesting how some are overly optimistic about our new squad packed with players we’ve hardly if ever seen playing at this level. Counter that with the piece in the awful Guardian newspaper that claimed to be underwhelmed by our recruitment and called the club the doziest of sleeping giants.

Somewhere in between is the reality. Patience needed indeed and hope that the finishing bits of the recruitment (centre forward and left centre back please) nudge us in the right direction.

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Patience is not something that is in good supply among Sheffield Wednesdays fan base.

However, you are correct, I hope we start well but I believe we will get better as we go on.

Agree with the OP sentiment but if anything Wednesday fans have been too patient in recent times.

(And I'm not just saying that on account of being 100 quid down for 13 months)

• Like 1

Agree with the OP that patience is required. Last season in L1, Blackpool were 12th at the half way point and went up via the playoffs. Neither Peterborough or Hull were in the auto spots at Xmas. It’s a long old season, a good start would be nice, but finishing strong is important

• Like 1

We need to give them a dozen or so games to start to gel and become a team, it takes time and I'm sure most people know that. 

Even the promotion chasing side under Carlos those first 2 seasons regularly made a mess against, so called inferior opposition like the burtons, Barnsleys or Rotherhams.thats going to be the test in how we and the players react after one of those losing to a bottom 3 team at home moments. 

Need to be patient because from the looks of it we are probably going to struggle a but until the embargo goes and we can buy a few decent strikers.... I think it's at best a 50/50 we could do well if Patterson and Windass are on fire or we could struggle. So we need to see this as a partial re build with a second stage once we can buy. Looks like fast skillfull wingers and lumps of wood up front. The question will be if they shut our wings down do we have another option.... But let's see a few games and see what we have got in and how we play.

• Like 1