Patience

Guest mrbluesky
3 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

So many new players. Not been this excited for a new season in ages. 

But IF we have a slower than ideal start to the season, let’s not revert to type & turn the air around the club toxic again. If we win our first few games and then taste a couple of defeats in a row, it isn’t the end of the world either.

Whilst promotion is the aim this season, we all need to buy into this as a long term project that Moore is undertaking. It’s almost a brand new squad. A lot of these guys haven’t played in this type of club before. 

We’ve tried the throwing money at it and put everything we have into one season route. It didn’t work. Promotion is, again, the aim. But it’s a difficult league and ups and downs are gonna be had.

Not saying we all need to turn into happy clappers. But a bit of patience and support will go a long way this season I think.

As I’ve said on another thread, these players haven’t had long to gel, some of them won’t be good enough, it’s uber critical we hit the ground running, confidence is key, a winning mentality will pull the stragglers up with the players who are performing.

This, and the hope that club off the pitch has changed its ways,this really is my biggest fear as I still believe this was mainly to blame for our relegation 

3 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

But IF we have a slower than ideal start to the season, let’s not revert to type & turn the air around the club toxic again. If we win our first few games and then taste a couple of defeats in a row, it isn’t the end of the world either.

Whilst promotion is the aim this season, we all need to buy into this as a long term project that Moore is undertaking. It’s almost a brand new squad. A lot of these guys haven’t played in this type of club before. 

We’ve tried the throwing money at it and put everything we have into one season route. It didn’t work. Promotion is, again, the aim. But it’s a difficult league and ups and downs are gonna be had.

Not saying we all need to turn into happy clappers. But a bit of patience and support will go a long way this season I think.

I do agree, but equally leaving it till the last 2 weeks before the season starts instead of having the players in for the full pre season is an error by those in charge.

Yet we make the same error every season.

We should not have to sacrifice the first 10 games of the season each year, just because the club management leave everything to the last minute.

QPR had all their signing in for pre season, the players have played and trained together for 6 weeks. Some of those player them signed later after being on trial. Why could we have not done the same, why does everything have to be someone elses fault, our club needs to start running more professional lets hope with DM involved that does improve.

4 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

Absolutely spot-on!👍

30 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I do agree, but equally leaving it till the last 2 weeks before the season starts instead of having the players in for the full pre season is an error by those in charge.

We should not have to sacrifice the first 10 games of the season each year, just because the club management leave everything to the last minute.

QPR had all their signing in for pre season, the players have played and trained together for 6 weeks. Some of those player them signed later after being on trial. Why could we have not done the same, why does everything have to be someone elses fault, our club needs to start running more professional lets hope with DM involved that does improve.

You make out as though that’s fully down to SWFC. Of course in an ideal world that would be possible,  but signings often depend on various other factors outside the clubs control. For all we know the club had deals lined up weeks ago and they fell through. Almost every other club is still shaping their the sides and will be right up to the deadline. 

Personally I’m delighted that we have made the amount of signings we have and that we will have almost all of them in by the start of the season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Manwë said:

Our relegation last year wasn't a defeat, it was our Dunkirk moment.  It appears we are in retreat, but we're not.  

A slow start doesn't mean we've given up on capturing Burnley, it just means we are wisely biding our time for good seas and a fair wind.  And then, we'll land and advance and smash the ******** to pieces.   Every single club that stands in our way will be burnt to the ground in a senseless orgy of footballing masterclasses that will redraw lines on maps.

Operation OhLord begins now.

image.png.f66c91416df3cd9fb2b3716f32780149.png

I’m quite wary of this ‘long term vision’ terminology that many are using given we have a number of players on a season long loan, Iorfa in the final year of his contract and Bannan with an escape clause……..

For me Moore is geared up to getting promotion this year because if not we will be rebuilding every season with the inevitable turn over of players!

• Like 1

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

Think the biggest threat for us, is winning is a habit. Unfortunately as a team, we’ve long had the habit of losing. Hopefully the new arrivals will reverse this, and a couple of wins on the trot will set the pattern for the season.

Guest REDAs_biG_piECE

Patience doesn’t win football matches

Quality on the pitch and great man managers with personality and some cahooners win football matches

8 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Patience is not something that is in good supply among Sheffield Wednesdays football fan bases

Fixed it. Despite what people like to think, we're really not that unique or nuanced

• Like 1

I remember when Newcastle came down to the championship with Benitez in charge and they lost the first 2 league games, I think to Fulham and Huddersfield.  And they still ran away with the league title. Moral of the story is to not panic after the first few games.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, room0035 said:

To be fair, some of that might be down to players we tried to sign weighing offers and loan clubs considering offers etc. 

Certainly it's better than all out signings coming on deadline day like the last 57 windows. 

• Thanks 1

Patience is a hard thing for many of us to have when we’ve been out of the top flight for more than 20 years and looking at least another 2 years away.

That said we need to find some from

somewhere as I do genuinely believe we’ve found the right manager to set us on the right path going forward.

Yes there are some who point out that all was not rosy in the garden in the last third of last season on Moore’s watch but he inherited a total sh!tshow then fell ill, so I’m more than happy to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I think whatever happens on the pitch we need a period of stability and we need to use this initial period to build foundations that will eventually help us move forward.