Euro 2021

7 minutes ago, FinnishOwl said:

The best place to have a heart attack is during a pro football match. The help was there very, very soon which probably saved his life. Let's hope for the best and that he recovers without any side effects.

You're right, I had mine at home and waiting for the ambulance seemed like a lifetime (although in fact they were there pretty quick). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

No it's not really breathing, it's the muscle twitching 

Yeh definitely, quick access to medical care and AED

Actually just made me think of how ridiculous it is that there aren't many AED (defibrillators) about 

My medical centre doesn't even have one, I am first aider, I have to tell someone to run over to the local pharmacy if anything happens and get it 

I've seen some around here in bigger shopping centres and stuff, but I don't know if for example I would be able to use one if a situation happened. I guess they are quite simple so that if you are calm enough, you can manage. There were also some charity happenings for collecting money to buy some to public places.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FinnishOwl said:

I've seen some around here in bigger shopping centres and stuff, but I don't know if for example I would be able to use one if a situation happened. I guess they are quite simple so that if you are calm enough, you can manage. There were also some charity happenings for collecting money to buy some to public places.

I have seen them but no idea what to do with them.  Not a clue.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

They are indeed.

I've seen more and more of these CPR machines dotted about in public places but I wouldn't have a clue what to do with them though. That's partly my fault but something like this ought to prompt some kind of public awareness of what people should do.

I certainly will be reading up on it.

They are made for people who don't have an idea of how to use them until needed in an emergency, I think it's more important to know where they are. 

If you see someone go down like that ring 999 put it on loudspeaker and shout for help, if they aren't breathing start doing CPR, if you don't know how to do CPR then you should start performing what you think CPR is, that's better than not doing anything. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FinnishOwl said:

Here you need to contact 999 using the phone by the AED to get the release code.

They will on the line to guide you but the defibs will 'talk' to you telling you what to do.

You do not need any special skills or knowledge. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

They are made for people who don't have an idea of how to use them until needed in an emergency, I think it's more important to know where they are. 

If you see someone go down like that ring 999 put it on loudspeaker and shout for help, if they aren't breathing start doing CPR, if you don't know how to do CPR then you should start performing what you think CPR is, that's better than not doing anything. 

Yes I've got my AEDs and my CPR mixed up. 

7 minutes ago, FinnishOwl said:

An AED actually talks you through every step so in theory anybody could use one.

Also need to be noted that an AED will only work on 2 cardiac rhythms - or to be accurate arrhythmia.

It doesn't "restart" the heart - it actually stops it so the hearts internal pacemaker (sinoatrial node) can hopefully regain its normal sinus rhythm.

I've prepared players for UEFA competition and the pre competition medicals are extremely thorough

No athletes in the world would face more stringent medical scrutiny

Hope this has the happiest possible outcome

Edited by scram
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

just heard belgium/russia to go ahead

surprised by that

That'd mess with the whole tournament schedule though.  Obviously if the worse had happened that'd put some doubt on the Euros even continuing, but now I guess it'll go ahead as normal but possibly without Denmark if they decide they'd rather withdraw. 

• Like 1