Next years keeper

Dawson is not too bad at close range reflex saves, .. but  the flip side is that for any shots outside the six yard box.... Has got a habit of not even attempting to dive (if  incoming shot a goal us either side of him)... just putting his arms out horizontally whilst still stood up in a vertical position  in the hope it will hit him..... 

Most annoying..! 

We have two goalies who are on good wages contracted for next season  . We won’t be able to sell either of them. We can’t afford to spend so much of our wage budget on goalies by adding another first team goalie who will play ahead of those two .

• Like 3

due to our dire financial situation and the need for players in other key posotion i think a new goalkeeper is way down list of priority  we will have to put upwith the two on contract and hope1 of them rises to the occasion wildsmith and dawsonare  not novices now need to

Show some mettle

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gleadless owl said:

due to our dire financial situation and the need for players in other key posotion i think a new goalkeeper is way down list of priority  we will have to put upwith the two on contract and hope1 of them rises to the occasion wildsmith and dawsonare  not novices now need to

Show some mettle

We said this last close season. They were both given a chance this season & neither were/are good enough.

If DM wanted to play Wildsmith or Dawson he'd have done so already by choice.

Westwood has played whenever fit. DM knows neither Wildsmith or Dawson are good enough, especially not in a passing system he wants to implement.

I think at least one of them will go out on loan or be released on a free / sold for peanuts.

3 hours ago, oneeyedmilkman said:

Whilst meaning no disrespect to Cheltenham, supporter numbers and expectations mean Wednesday in league 1 would be a reasonable next step in his progression. If we are as tied up on transfers as we think we will be, then this sort of low wage loan will be exactly where we are looking next season. I suspect/hope to god the off season recruitment will be geared towards moore's 4231 play out from the back too

Get what you are saying but he will be buzzing after promotion and know all the Cheltenham players and presumably have been happy there.

Would he swap that for a club that's struggled to pay wages on time,

also if we don't get off to a good start Hillsborough potentially could be toxic next season.

Equally don't think we will sign a keeper if money is tight, we have two young keepers.

2 hours ago, davey_wells said:

If DM wanted to play Wildsmith or Dawson he'd have done so already by choice.

Westwood has played whenever fit. DM knows neither Wildsmith or Dawson are good enough, especially not in a passing system he wants to implement.

I think at least one of them will go out on loan or be released on a free / sold for peanuts.

That’s not quite right is it

Dawson has been recovering from his op and not available since Moore came here

4 hours ago, owls-swfc said:

Dawson is not too bad at close range reflex saves, .. but  the flip side is that for any shots outside the six yard box.... Has got a habit of not even attempting to dive (if  incoming shot a goal us either side of him)... just putting his arms out horizontally whilst still stood up in a vertical position  in the hope it will hit him..... 

Most annoying..! 

Seems to have done better than some at keeping the ball out of the net last season.

Goals per game     Clean sheet     shots saved 

conceded                percentage    percentage

Dawson.          1.13                         37.5                68.0

Westwood.     1.25                         25.0                 68.2

Wildsmith       1.48                         27.8                 59.7

2 hours ago, Marpals said:

Get what you are saying but he will be buzzing after promotion and know all the Cheltenham players and presumably have been happy there.

Would he swap that for a club that's struggled to pay wages on time,

also if we don't get off to a good start Hillsborough potentially could be toxic next season.

Equally don't think we will sign a keeper if money is tight, we have two young keepers.

Well the size of the club is one reason. Perform well here and he will have proven he can do it at ‘bigger’ clubs with bigger expectations than if he stayed at Cheltenham. Plus expectations here will be to go up. Cheltenham will be to survive.

Now I don’t expect us to go up, at all, but that’s the expectation no doubt. 

Plus I imagine his parent club pay his wages and our club pay his club. So that wouldn’t impact him anyway.

But agree we’re not going to shift Dawson and wildsmith who are paid decent amounts user contract. So can’t imagine us going for one like this.

Guest Therealrealist

This is goin to be a massive problem for us...we can’t afford a new number 1 keeper...let 5his be a lesson learned for all the tie the young us down brigade...4 and 5 year deals are not the way forward

Guest Therealrealist
4 minutes ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Better off with Hugh Jarce...

I like the look of Ben Dover...and his Scottish mate Phil mcrevvis...

Both Dawson and Wildsmith’s progression was offset because they weren’t sent out on loan enough wary in their careers. They needed a full season at L2 level in their late teens/early twenties.

Dawson was ruined by Jos playing him when he was low on confidence, experience and form. I think there could have been a good keeper in there somewhere.

5 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Is he able to stay on his line?

1431818858_2021-05-0916_34_16.png.778966e37c3c12782b8255236d8d8676.png

Yep, they raved about it being a great goal on Sky but Westwood's positioning was shocking.