What's the nicest thing opposition fans done to you?

8 hours ago, Flat Owl said:

Mansfield fans kindly donated three and a half sides of their ground when 20,000 arrived at Field Mill one Saturday afternoon in 1980....

I remember  that game  I didn't get in until  half time  because some  twit on the coach shouted the ground was really close .... (it wasant)😁

West Ham away (when we got stuffed Harston and bloody Kitsons debuts!) with a minibus full of fellow Owls including a young lad of about 8 years old and we all went into a pub outside the ground... It was full of West Ham fans and the young un zipped up his jacket to cover his Wednesday shirt when we entered...two Hammers lads went up to him and told him to unzip it show it off and to always be proud of his team and others made a real fuss of him too...ive always liked West Ham as a club and their fans anyway but this was really good of them!! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

Port Vale away.. got off train, waking around wondering how to get to the ground, cans in hand, a jaguar rolls up besides us and offers us a lift to the ground. Port Vale chairman.

Excellent stuff.

The classier of the Stoke clubs. I've always had a soft spot for Port Vale.

• Like 1

Newcastle away Boxing Day 2017 i think it was?

Got some complimentery tickets in corporate and went up with my dad. We won 1-0 via Loovens IIRC. 

Anyhow, after the match we popped into the Strawberry trying to keep a low profile but were rumbled after about 5 seconds ( probably because we were the only 2 smiling in there). Thought we might get a few verbals and asked to leave but a bunch of 3/4 Newcastle fans came up to us, congratulated us on the win and how we played and insisted on buying us a few drinks. Had a right laugh with them. Top bunch of fans. Can’t remember getting back to hotel actually... 

Guest T Hardy

I was in a pub in Leeds about 5 years ago after we’d played them, and there was a Milwall fan in there who I got taking to whilst taking a leak. He told me to get the hell out of there because there were 3 service crew members in the pub waiting to kick the sh*t out of any Wednesday fan they find. Appreciated the heads up, it was a nice thing to do.

29 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

I was in a pub in Leeds about 5 years ago after we’d played them, and there was a Milwall fan in there who I got taking to whilst taking a leak. He told me to get the hell out of there because there were 3 service crew members in the pub waiting to kick the sh*t out of any Wednesday fan they find. Appreciated the heads up, it was a nice thing to do.

Had the same at Rotherham years back, was only 16/17 at the time. Mate had a Wednesday badge on and they cornered us at the bar. There were loads of them, and only 2 of us. Proper bullying. Rotherham lad sidled up to me at the bar and told us of the back door, that led to the street. Never been as relieved, and until then had never realized how much Rotherham hated us. Rubbish football club. 

I’ve always thought we are quite a classy set of supporters. Mates of mine who support other clubs are always surprised how you can get a drink in a pub with Wednesday fans in and not get into a fight. There are always exceptions but I haven’t seen much nastiness (outside of games v Blades/ Leeds) for a long time. 

My kids loved it when they were 11 and 12 and a tram full of Leeds fans went passed and shouted loads of abuse at them. It genuinely made there day! Not exactly intended to be nice but we enjoyed it anyway 👍

Port Vale away in 1991 when we could have gone up if we'd won. I think.  Had a few pints on the way over at some random pub in the middle of nowehere.  We parked up and headed for the ground.  I was bursting.  We passed a hairdressers with a lady standing at the door watching the crowd stream by.  I asked her if there was any chance I could use the toilet.  She said, "No prob, through that door and you'll see the stairs on the left.  Toilet's the first door you come to."  After thanking her profusely, I walked through the door to find myself in a living room with a bloke (presumably her other half) watching the telly and eating his tea from his lap. "Orreyt mate!"  I said politely before going up the stairs to relieve myself.  I left a couple of quid on the cistern.  Made my way out the way I came nodding to the bemused fella as I left.

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, Flat Owl said:

Mansfield fans kindly donated three and a half sides of their ground when 20,000 arrived at Field Mill one Saturday afternoon in 1980....

Remember that game, as you pulled off the motorway towards Mansfield there is a long straight road and all you could see bumper to bumper for about a mile was Wednesday coaches heading to the game. ( It looked like over a 100)

We slipped up a couple of years earlier met my mate in town and as usual strolled down to SUT to buy coach tickets. I know it sounds crackers now with mobile phones and Internet but back then it was normal to leave booking tickets until match day.

When we got to the ticket office all of the coach tickets had been sold. No problem Mansfields not far we will jump on the train.

What we didn't know was Mansfield railway station had been shut for years and we got tickets for Mansfield Woodhouse which we didn't realise is 17 miles away from Mansfield and in the middle of nowhere.

We got off the train with about another 30 Wednesday fans who had also made the same mistake. We then  had about an hours walk to the nearest village that had a bus that ran every couple of hours into Mansfield.

Happy days.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Prendo's boots said:

West Ham away (when we got stuffed Harston and bloody Kitsons debuts!) with a minibus full of fellow Owls including a young lad of about 8 years old and we all went into a pub outside the ground... It was full of West Ham fans and the young un zipped up his jacket to cover his Wednesday shirt when we entered...two Hammers lads went up to him and told him to unzip it show it off and to always be proud of his team and others made a real fuss of him too...ive always liked West Ham as a club and their fans anyway but this was really good of them!! 

Was that the Boleyn pub on the corner Andy? It has a fierce reputation however just like you I found in general the West Ham fans to be a down to earth knowledgable lot who I could easily relate to, unlike most other London clubs (Brentford also excepted). 

I visited Filbert Street once three weeks into a skint period after the company I work for went from weekly to monthly payments. Luckily for me, a group of kindly Leicester Babes decided to generously shorten my skint period by knocking me into the middle of next week. Such a lovely lot they were - how did they get so happy clappy? 

1 hour ago, Mountain Owl said:

Was that the Boleyn pub on the corner Andy? It has a fierce reputation however just like you I found in general the West Ham fans to be a down to earth knowledgable lot who I could easily relate to, unlike most other London clubs (Brentford also excepted). 

Hey chap! Yeah that was the one went a few years running and no problems at all they were as self depreciating as we were!! 😀

• Like 1