Wilder Sacked, all Sheffield's at it!

More from Guardian blog

Hearing reports that an 80s Sheffield band are performing at the Chris Wilder press conference.

Just can’t think who it might be or what song they may choose. Singer looks kind of familiar though.

humanleague.jpg

Don't  you want me Baby

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

They don't in private

Wednesday fans have been brought up to believe that if they are seen to be "Rarrrr I'd rather United were in the Vauxhall conference rarrrr rarrrrr" then it makes them appear to be bigger/better fans of our club

(same goes for all clubs/fans with rivalaries)

In reality both teams in the Premier League would bring so many benefits to everyone, each club and most importantly our city that everyone benefits

Posturing in public or amongst their peer group/mates doesn't change that

The only people who pretend to fall for it are the people in their peer group or group of mates - but they don't really believe it either - so what you have is groups of mates all trying to convince each other that they're proper fans because they want the rivals to be in lower divisions etc - whilst at the same time none of that peer group actually really believe it

It's really sad but at the same time funny when you see it happening when you know whats' really going on

lol

I'm a  Sheffielder who loves his City,  who wants Sheffield or Sheffielders to do well, even though I don't go to watch them I want the Steelers (ice Hockey) to do well, I want the Tigers (speedway) to do well, I want the Eagles (RL) to do well, I want the Sharks and the Hatters (Basketball)  to do well, I'm always happy to see our Boxers (Graham, Woods, Rhodes, Brookes, even the arrogant but very exciting Naz) or Athletes (Coe not a Sheffielder but represented Sheffield and Ennis) do well.

Even Sheffielders in team sports (Vaughan and Root) I like to see doing well.

I'm also pleased to see anybody else from Sheffield doing well, actors, musicians, Astronauts (Sharman?) Anybody in any form of life from Sheffield I like to see doing well and bringing good (and much needed publicity) to our fair City.

Everybody, that is except Sheffield United.

It's not pretending, as a kid I was brought to up to love Sheffield Wednesday and in turn hate Their Rivals Sheffield United.

It's never gone away, as I grew older I realised it was completely irrational, after all I'm from Sheffield, I love Sheffield, they're from Sheffield surely on this basis I should like them?

No way! They're our Rivals and I don't like them, there's nothing better than beating them (ok maybe winning a Trophy, but even though beating them is currently unlikely it's much more likely than winning a Trophy!) and nothing worse than losing to them. 

So is it irrational?

No, that's forgetting something called tribalism, my tribes the Owls and although there's plenty of other tribes out there, who I also want us to beat, the closest one are Sheffield United they're the nearest tribe, the one I see I every day (unlike most other tribes I only see on a matchday) the one who don't like us and are happy to see our pain and gleefully celebrate it not just on a match day but every day, at work, at play, in the pub, on the streets. 

How can anyone who supports us want to see this tribe do well?

Certainly not me, after wanting to see my Club do well (which is always the most important) there's nothing better than seeing them doing poorly.

It's completely irrational to any outsider but anyone in any tribe makes complete sense.

Hate them? Yes. Want football without them? No i'd rather watch them fail but life without them just wouldn't be the same.

BTW I'm please he's gone, he'd have got them back up next season.

UTO! FEB! 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Guest hirstysfags
10 minutes ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

A few Blades that I know are suggesting that they appoint the current German manager as Wilders replacement. This would be a new Loew even for United.

Fantastic!

16 minutes ago, Whitecap Owl said:

the covid squad rules and extra subs did them in .  bigger clubs could do a hockey line change with their squad depth 

Too bad for Wilder who did so much for the Blades.   I wish I could be more sad  😢 😎

They were already the worse prem league club in history before covid rules were relevant ...

Though covid will be the excuse..

He foooked up in the transfer market..even die hard piggies say the same.

3 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

I think thats very strange..but you are allowed an opinion 👍

I remember when they were in the 3rd a few seasons ago and folk on here pining for the Derbies .....they got there wish    ......went well didnt it !

I like them down there on there knees where we can keep an eye on em 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

They were already the worse prem league club in history before covid rules were relevant ...

Though covid will be the excuse..

He foooked up in the transfer market..even die hard piggies say the same.

Didn't help though!  Like you said their transfer market blunders amplified the situation.  Small clubs will always have problems (Barnsley and Blackpool more recent examples)

Football has changed over the past 50 years and it's not necessarily a good thing 🙁

1 minute ago, Whitecap Owl said:

Didn't help though!  Like you said their transfer market blunders amplified the situation.  Small clubs will always have problems (Barnsley and Blackpool more recent examples)

Football has changed over the past 50 years and it's not necessarily a good thing 🙁

Agree...

Not having the covid excuse though, loads of clubs in the prem can't compete with the big 6...but were not the worse prem club in the history of the universe😁

• Love 1

It's an ongoing argument with recruitment policy between Wilder and the owner. Wilder wants players to invest in over the future, growing talent, etc. Owner wants to look more into foreign markets to get oven-ready talent. The catalyst for this coming to a head is the £22m spent on Brewster and him not hitting the ground running. Looks like Wilder is walking of his own accord because he may no longer have the control he wants over recruitment but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up staying. Hope he goes though, he been brilliant for them.