Statement from Liam Shaw on move to Celtic

1 minute ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

They will probably loan him out for a season, Scottish leagues or Leagues 1 and 2 in the EFL.

Celtic's latest 'starlet' Scott Robertson who is the same age as Shaw was on loan at Gillingham for the first half of the season before joining Doncaster in January.

Not playing in front of 50,000 then?

1 minute ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Not quite. Who knows whether he will eventually make it at Celtic, Robertson I mean

We’ve been told for weeks that he'll be playing in the Champions League every year and in front of 50,000 fans every week. Gillingham might come as a bit of a shock. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

The lads doing what's best for him. Its a great opportunity. 

Very few were saying it was imperative that he be offered an extended deal in the summer. That's changed after a handful of games where it looks like he's really come on in the last few months. Its always a gamble with the youngsters. Hindsight and all that.

The issue of running an academy that is neither producing a steady progression of youngsters to the first team nor earning decent compensation in a cases such as this and others is something that needs addressing. 

Not all doom gloom & ineptitude mind.......got a reserve keeper signed up until 2024😳

1 hour ago, BIG D said:

We’ve been told for weeks that he'll be playing in the Champions League every year and in front of 50,000 fans every week. Gillingham might come as a bit of a shock. 

Shaltack get big crowds.

The snag is that in footballing terms they're not very good.

Bobbar though they are, they're obviously regarded as being better than us.

The fact that a player leaves here to go there underlines how far we've fallen as a club.

• Like 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Proper cringeworthy in my opinion. So a boyhood Owl who gave an interview last summer saying it was his dream to play for the Owls can’t turn down a team who play in the Pub League? Wish players would just tell the truth....that truth being MONEY TALKS!

I stand by what I said two weeks ago. He shouldn’t  be playing in the first team. His stupid red card against Birmingham was so costly and he isn’t that good anyway. For me it’s good luck but don’t let the door hit your arse on the way out!

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, Truth is out there said:

May well have missed it but I don’t recollect a (>13 page ) thread this time last season advocating the absolute need to get Shaw signed up long term ?

That’s cos he did nothing last season. Basically that 70 yard run in the FA Cup that was shown worldwide has got him the transfer. He ain’t that good and he’s a red card waiting to happen.

So another player f.ookin' off and wishing us all the best

Fair play, can;'t blame him....Same as every incumbent , popping in and telling us we are "Massive"...We roll over as they tickle us on the belly

Meanwhile the 4 horsemen of the Apocawotsit graze on Hillboros turf

Chansiri asks  if "Anyone wants to buy a corner flag"

and on we roll

Gypsies tramps an thieves   P8ss in every corner of the ground, and two golden elephants stand guard should anyone want to backscuttle the South.

Its such a f.,ookin' comfort

I sleep well at nights....looking forward to the next game......................Norwich

No problem surely

• Like 2

Should be noted that the *pub* league's newly crowned champions are through to the last 16 of the Europa League along with the likes of Inter, AC, Man United etc.

But yeah, he should have stuck it out on naff all money, in a half empty stadium against the likes of Rochdale.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Course he’s not signing to play in the bloody Scottish Premier League 

He’s signing to play for Celtic 

Its a massive opportunity 

Yeah, but it's a "pub" league etc.

I mean, what have Celtic or Rangers ever done? Lol 

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yeah, but it's a "pub" league etc.

I mean, what have Celtic or Rangers ever done? Lol 

If it’s not the Europa league it’s the champions league. Yes they have no chance of ever winning the latter but being in the groups and occasionally pipping the big boys of Europe at home is enough. 

If you’re playing for a club like Wednesday in our state and a Celtic come calling you don’t say no. it’s a indescribable career raiser on so many levels 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

He's a lifelong fan

3 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

How can he be!

If he was he'd have signed a new deal for 40p a week and a slice of cakeball if that's what was on the table.   Like we all would if it was us. Etc

It means nothing if he’s a fan or not - I don’t care about that - I honestly don’t. It also doesn’t mean a jot what I think about his choice of where he plays his football - it really doesn’t (the only way it would is if I was to go on his social media and abuse him because that would be wrong).

All I’m saying is that I’m not happy to “celebrate” his move to Celtic like some Wednesdayites are doing. I’m fvvcked off about the whole situation, he’s a talented player that has been developed by our club and is leaving for next to nothing in terms of transfer fee. I’m as annoyed with Shaw as I am with Chansiri with the former’s move to another team because they both have contributed to the situation. Stating that Shaw is a Wednesdayite doesn’t change my mind - it doesn’t absolve him. It may be a great move for Shaw but it isn’t a great move for us as fans. 

There are clubs in this area that have come to agreements with players in the same situation as Shaw where a new contract has been signed to allow the club they are leaving to get some form of better compensation when the transfer takes place. We’ll never know how close or far away from a situation like that Shaw and Chansiri was but what a crying shame we didn’t get to that situation. 

If people want to feel better about the Shaw situation because he has explained his reasons in the media then that’s fine but it’s also fine if there are people like me that feel really sore about the situation (as long as they don’t abuse him about it). Saying he’s a Wednesdayite doesn’t make me feel he’s less sore - I am only human. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, SiJ said:

Should be noted that the *pub* league's newly crowned champions are through to the last 16 of the Europa League along with the likes of Inter, AC, Man United etc.

But yeah, he should have stuck it out on naff all money, in a half empty stadium against the likes of Rochdale.

Well yeah but his team are over 20 points behind 

lol