Statement from Liam Shaw on move to Celtic

Guest Hornsby

Looks like another £6 million confidential  compensation on way as club income, less legal fees and agents commissions of course.

Trebles and refunds all round.

7 hours ago, shandypants said:

It means nothing if he’s a fan or not - I don’t care about that - I honestly don’t. It also doesn’t mean a jot what I think about his choice of where he plays his football - it really doesn’t (the only way it would is if I was to go on his social media and abuse him because that would be wrong).

All I’m saying is that I’m not happy to “celebrate” his move to Celtic like some Wednesdayites are doing. I’m fvvcked off about the whole situation, he’s a talented player that has been developed by our club and is leaving for next to nothing in terms of transfer fee. I’m as annoyed with Shaw as I am with Chansiri with the former’s move to another team because they both have contributed to the situation. Stating that Shaw is a Wednesdayite doesn’t change my mind - it doesn’t absolve him. It may be a great move for Shaw but it isn’t a great move for us as fans. 

There are clubs in this area that have come to agreements with players in the same situation as Shaw where a new contract has been signed to allow the club they are leaving to get some form of better compensation when the transfer takes place. We’ll never know how close or far away from a situation like that Shaw and Chansiri was but what a crying shame we didn’t get to that situation. 

If people want to feel better about the Shaw situation because he has explained his reasons in the media then that’s fine but it’s also fine if there are people like me that feel really sore about the situation (as long as they don’t abuse him about it). Saying he’s a Wednesdayite doesn’t make me feel he’s less sore - I am only human. 

Great post 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, shandypants said:

It means nothing if he’s a fan or not - I don’t care about that - I honestly don’t. It also doesn’t mean a jot what I think about his choice of where he plays his football - it really doesn’t (the only way it would is if I was to go on his social media and abuse him because that would be wrong).

All I’m saying is that I’m not happy to “celebrate” his move to Celtic like some Wednesdayites are doing. I’m fvvcked off about the whole situation, he’s a talented player that has been developed by our club and is leaving for next to nothing in terms of transfer fee. I’m as annoyed with Shaw as I am with Chansiri with the former’s move to another team because they both have contributed to the situation. Stating that Shaw is a Wednesdayite doesn’t change my mind - it doesn’t absolve him. It may be a great move for Shaw but it isn’t a great move for us as fans. 

There are clubs in this area that have come to agreements with players in the same situation as Shaw where a new contract has been signed to allow the club they are leaving to get some form of better compensation when the transfer takes place. We’ll never know how close or far away from a situation like that Shaw and Chansiri was but what a crying shame we didn’t get to that situation. 

If people want to feel better about the Shaw situation because he has explained his reasons in the media then that’s fine but it’s also fine if there are people like me that feel really sore about the situation (as long as they don’t abuse him about it). Saying he’s a Wednesdayite doesn’t make me feel he’s less sore - I am only human. 

I agree with this post 

(apart from the people are celebrating him going - nobody is doing that. Nobody. Not one person)

• Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

People need to jump down from their high horse, it would be stupid of him not to take the opportunity. As much as I don’t like Celtic , he has the potential to play in the champions league and obviously better his own ambition/development to maybe the premier league eventually. 

also why would he stay, when was the last time we developed someone and sold them on for millions? We haven’t because our youth setup is a shambles and it needs to be restructured. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mr. Chow said:

People need to jump down from their high horse, it would be stupid of him not to take the opportunity. As much as I don’t like Celtic , he has the potential to play in the champions league and obviously better his own ambition/development to maybe the premier league eventually. 

also why would he stay, when was the last time we developed someone and sold them on for millions? We haven’t because our youth setup is a shambles and it needs to be restructured. 

Because some think its the Hotel California. You can check out any time you like but you can never leave unless its the club that deems you are surplus to requirements.

Ultimately our main gripe (and I agree) is not that he's left, but we've given him away for free (almost). Had a decent fee been involved, perception may be slightly different.

Ultimately it isn't we, it's Chansiri and he's done himself out if a couple of million, due to his incompetence. Money he will be under pressure to replace from his own pockets.

• Like 2

Im gutted he’s going but can understand why with the mess we are in

When you look at how much money we are losing as a club and having to sell the ground etc, not accepting the reported £2m fee for Hirst and losing Shaw has cost this club anywhere around £5m+ (that’s with Shaw possibly having a good season next year)

9 hours ago, Truth is out there said:

May well have missed it but I don’t recollect a (>13 page ) thread this time last season advocating the absolute need to get Shaw signed up long term ?

That's because we're just Wednesday fans who comment on the aspects of the club to which we're privy. 

Barring the odd poster, we don't follow our U23 team all that closely, so won't be aware of the potential lurking within our youth setup. 

But that's not the case for those within the club. For those at the top of the hierarchy, it's their job to stay abreast of developments within our youth setup, to put in place systems which identify blossoming talent, and to arrange contracts which protect the club's interests.

Other teams manage to do this much more successfully than us, I'm afraid.

And that's not because their fans are flooding forums with calls for longer contracts; it's because they have more competent ownership.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, Truth is out there said:

May well have missed it but I don’t recollect a (>13 page ) thread this time last season advocating the absolute need to get Shaw signed up long term ?

It’s not the fan’s responsibility 

Shaw has been at Sheffield Wednesday since he was 8 years old

If he is good enough (and Celtic certainly think so) then he should have been contracted 

If not then he should have been released by the club

Which part of that is the fans fault?

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

I tell you what you there are a dangerous amount of proper weird and deluded Wednesday fans on Twitter isn't there 

Christ alive I think their last game must have been the 93 FA cup final with the way they talk about the club and slaughter other clubs

Anyway only people to blame in this situation are the ones that recommend and offer the contracts 

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

What did we expect him to say " this club is a sinking ship and I'm off". Nice statement probably put out by his PR.

You mean he hasn’t had anything to do with it? I’d be absolutely shocked. It’s so sincere 

24 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Out of interest, what message would have sufficed? 

Something genuine that came directly from him.

I'm sure RS would have done a little interview? That would have been better seeing as he's a massive fan and all that.

Anything would be better than a statement with his managements name on that he's just been asked to put his name to.

17 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

TRUE mate 

Go speak to the chairman and tell him that this should have happened and demand to know why he allowed it to happen this way instead

Same reason George Hirst and the lad that went to Hearts ( sorry no evades me ) were allowed to leave, just rank bad management

• Like 1

Still astonished that Chansiri came out and basically blamed Shaw's agent for doing his job and then us fans (again) for not calling for him to receive a new contact when he wasn't in the first team. Absolutely comical again from our supreme leader and "his people".

The fact is it should never get to the stage where an academy prospect is playing first team football with 12 months left on his contract. It's bad management and for it to happen again and again at this club is abysmal.   

I am not angry at Shaw, Hirst, Clare, Urhoghide (pending), etc. for leaving,  I'm angry at the club's lack of ability to manage our academy prospects in a period where they've wasted millions on players.  But remember, you can't plan ahead at football clubs because it's a business like no other... 

:Chansiri:

• Like 1