Statement from Liam Shaw on move to Celtic

9 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I understand the point you are making but Leicester haven’t tried to sign Shaw in competition to Celtic. Celtic are (to my knowledge) the only club who have.

You never know what might happen.

Didn't Celtic sign a pre contract agreement with Ben Davies of Preston. Then Liverpool came in and hijacked that by signing him.

There's still over 3 months left before he can sign for Celtic. In the meantime another club could make him a better offer. He could get injured and Celtic pull out.

Set aside club loyalties, if you think he's a wednesday fan or not, what league hes playing in, which club he's signing for or if you think its a move in the right direction or not for his career 

Ask yourself one question 

At 19 you are offered 

A)  a minimum of £1 million pounds in wages plus incentive bonuses, appearance money, yearly increases over 4 years 

or 

B) a minimum of £150,000 in wages plus incentive bonuses, appearance money, yearly increases over 3 years 

What would you do ?

And while you are thinking about that really tough decision have a think about Ian Cranson and Ryan Jones to name 2, both far more established and better thought of than Shaw at the same stage, both im sure at the time backing themselves to do bigger and better things and both ended up with career ending injuries and having to work a normal job to support their family

Liam has at the worst took a big step towards securing his families future, something that everyone of us would do no matter who we support 

55 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

No offence but I just don't take posts like this seriously one bit

All this 'rarr rarrrr he's a traitor, he's money grabbing rarrrr he's not a wednesday fan rarrr rarrr rarrrrr' = just bitter noise to me

100%

7 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

You never know what might happen.

Didn't Celtic sign a pre contract agreement with Ben Davies of Preston. Then Liverpool came in and hijacked that by signing him.

There's still over 3 months left before he can sign for Celtic. In the meantime another club could make him a better offer. He could get injured and Celtic pull out.

All true. Football is a proper cut throat business these days! 

23 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Have heard his celtic contract is 5k a week better than wednesdays offer

"But did they also include a red and white striped mug from their club shop? Didn't think so!"

:Chansiri:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

It’s not the fan’s responsibility 

Shaw has been at Sheffield Wednesday since he was 8 years old

If he is good enough (and Celtic certainly think so) then he should have been contracted 

If not then he should have been released by the club

Which part of that is the fans fault?

Not sure I’ve said it’s “the fans fault”

In fact I’m absolutely clear I’ve not said (or even implied) it is (was) “the fans fault”, merely that hindsight (by definition) is 20:20 vision 

ALL clubs histories are littered with tales of ‘the one that got away from Vardy to Maradonna !

Equally ALL forums are full of he’s sh!te how did he get (renew) a contract  

You (of all folk on here) may wish to consider ‘dialling down’ on the paranoia / confrontation angle

The reality is ‘fans’ whinge when (it appears) ‘the club’ drops a b0llock when signing  / not signing someone who later turns out to be outstanding or abysmal or both within a career

My fundamental point was / is it would appear that Shaw’s ability, or even potential wasn’t blindingly obvious then (or even now reading some other posters)

1 minute ago, Truth is out there said:

You (of all folk on here) may wish to consider ‘dialling down’ on the paranoia / confrontation angle 

It’s not the fan’s responsibility 

Shaw has been at Sheffield Wednesday since he was 8 years old

If he is good enough (and Celtic certainly think so) then he should have been contracted 

If not then he should have been released by the club

Which part of that is the fans fault?

My post wasn't confrontational at all - read it again - I was merely asking a question

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Therealrealist
14 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

Set aside club loyalties, if you think he's a wednesday fan or not, what league hes playing in, which club he's signing for or if you think its a move in the right direction or not for his career 

At 19 you are offered 

A)  a minimum of £1 million pounds in wages plus incentive bonuses, appearance money, yearly increases over 4 years 

or 

B) a minimum of £150,000 in wages plus incentive bonuses, appearance money, yearly increases over 3 years 

What would you do ?

And while you are thinking about that really tough decision have a think about Ian Cranson and Ryan Jones to name 2, both far more established and better thought of than Shaw at the same stage, both im sure at the time backing themselves to do bigger and better things and both ended up with career ending injuries and having to work a normal job to support their family

Liam has at the worst took a big step towards securing his families future, something that everyone of us would do no matter who we support 

We would all make the move..but lets not wheel out the 'football reasons' chestnut...put it this way..would shaw be making the move if celtic wer offering him the same wages as wednesday??

29 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

Well if we become a League Two team we can have that discussion. I’d have to know what his prospects would be at Celtic. If he was going to start, I’d probably say make the move. If he’s going to be on their bench, I think League Two would be better for his development.

Unfortunately history does not look upon us kindly when it comes to nurturing talent, and considering our inability to properly build a cohesive squad, I'd argue that staying here also comes with significant risk... for much less pay.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bobness said:

Unfortunately history does not look upon us kindly when it comes to nurturing talent, and considering our inability to properly build a cohesive squad, I'd argue that staying here also comes with significant risk... for much less pay.

Let's take the money right out of it

Let's look at it without the financial aspect

What benefits come with staying at SWFC?

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Therealrealist said:

We would all make the move..but lets not wheel out the 'football reasons' chestnut...put it this way..would shaw be making the move if celtic wer offering him the same wages as wednesday??

personally in my opinion it would still be a tough decision

but then I've got the benefit of 40 years worth of gradual acceptance that despite the song, we're not "the greatest team the world has ever seen"  and not likely to even be the greatest team League 1 has ever seen either  

lol 

10 minutes ago, bobness said:

"10% employee discount at the club shop!"

:Chansiri:

Are you sure about that 

I would imagine we'd be the only business to operate an employee uplift scheme 

*Join the Sheffield Wednesday uplift scheme where as an unvalued employee of the club you have the privilege to pay 15% more than the average customer *

lol 

How times change!

Stephen Wood, Phil O'Donnell and Simon Donnelly will quadruple their salaries when they complete their moves from Celtic to Sheffield Wednesday! (I don't remember Wood)

Di Canio moved to the English Premiership as he joined Sheffield Wednesday from Celtic in a transfer deal valued at around £4.2 million

Just reminiscing!

• Love 1

3 hours ago, PARKOWL said:

At 19 you are offered 

or 

What would you do ?

Agreed, can retire by 22/23 probably. Not bad at all.

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Remember too that Liam Shaw will have seen Sean Claire, George Hirst and others frozen out

He will also see what’s happened to his team mate Cameron Dawson who chose to commit to a long contract with SWFC and then a few weeks later it’s career over 

What do you mean career over ?