Statement from Liam Shaw on move to Celtic

Guest T Hardy
1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

Probably because people can separate their love for the club from the objective fact that Sheffield Wednesday in the 2020s just does not look a stable career move. 

DC has an almighty job on shifting the horrific downward momentum he's managed to generate.

I think if you’re going to our games and putting your own money in, it’s counterproductive to encourage our best players to leave.

Fair enough if you’re disgruntled and not putting another penny in whilst Chansiri is here, like I am 

1 minute ago, T Hardy said:

When did Celtic last get into the Champions League group stage? Even if they win the league there now, there’s about 3 qualifying games to the group stage. They’d probably have to play someone like Roma to qualify wouldn’t they now? And then crash out of that or get smashed in the group stage and then only have the Scottish league to play for. 

Just for clarity. Would you advise him to stay here? Playing in L1 next season? On way less money than he could earn elsewhere?

7 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

You’re the second person I’ve seen say they’d advise him to do the same. Seems strange to me if you’re a Wednesday fan who puts money into the club that you’d encourage its best assets to leave.

If you supported a 4th Division team (and you might soon), would you personally advise a player who could achieve a lot more to stay put? 

Edited by bobness

Guest T Hardy
2 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Roy Keane was 34 when he signed for Celtic, he had the opportunity to play for the team he supported at the very @rse-end of his career and took it. 

Yep

It’s a different discussion but there was a debate in the general football forum about whether or not Celtic are a bigger club than Leicester. Celtic have more history, a bigger stadium and fan clubs worldwide, but every other measure (especially modern ones), Leicester are streets ahead. I accept it’s a debate and I’m not saying Leicester are obviously bigger, but it’s daft to just say Celtic are massive like Man Utd or Real. There’s this perception that Celtic are a European giant, they’re really not any longer and haven’t been for ages. 

Guest T Hardy
3 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Just for clarity. Would you advise him to stay here? Playing in L1 next season? On way less money than he could earn elsewhere?

Yep, my Wednesday tinted glasses would say stay here and make a name for yourself. I won’t deny that 

Guest T Hardy
3 minutes ago, bobness said:

If you supported a 4th Division team (and you might soon), would you personally advise a player who could achieve a lot more to stay put? 

Well if we become a League Two team we can have that discussion. I’d have to know what his prospects would be at Celtic. If he was going to start, I’d probably say make the move. If he’s going to be on their bench, I think League Two would be better for his development.

1 minute ago, T Hardy said:

Yep

It’s a different discussion but there was a debate in the general football forum about whether or not Celtic are a bigger club than Leicester. Celtic have more history, a bigger stadium and fan clubs worldwide, but every other measure (especially modern ones), Leicester are streets ahead. I accept it’s a debate and I’m not saying Leicester are obviously bigger, but it’s daft to just say Celtic are massive like Man Utd or Real. There’s this perception that Celtic are a European giant, they’re really not any longer and haven’t been for ages. 

I understand the point you are making but Leicester haven’t tried to sign Shaw in competition to Celtic. Celtic are (to my knowledge) the only club who have. I think Celtic are a bigger club playing at a higher level than we are. I also think they have more money which is presumably why they could offer Shaw more than we did. I don’t think Celtic are big like Man U or Real Madrid but they are one of the biggest fish in their pond. We on the other hand are in serious decline. I saw from your earlier comment you aren’t putting any money into the club right now because of the owner. A club that has alienated loyal fans to that point is not in good shape. 

5 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

Yep, my Wednesday tinted glasses would say stay here and make a name for yourself. I won’t deny that 

And that’s one of the points I made earlier. I reasonable gamble would be to have one more year with us and try for an even better contract either elsewhere or even with us. But a bird in the hand (in this case a bird worth several hundreds of thousands of pounds) is very, very appealing! Another thing I say all the time is a footballer is one bad tackle away from having no career. Sometimes you’ve got to make head over heart decisions when it’s your entire future on the line!

16 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

When did Celtic last get into the Champions League group stage? Even if they win the league there now, there’s about 3 qualifying games to the group stage. They’d probably have to play someone like Roma to qualify wouldn’t they now? And then crash out of that or get smashed in the group stage and then only have the Scottish league to play for. 

They’re one of the biggest clubs in the world. I honestly don’t get the sour grapes 

• Love 2

Guest T Hardy
1 minute ago, CircleSeven said:

I understand the point you are making but Leicester haven’t tried to sign Shaw in competition to Celtic. Celtic are (to my knowledge) the only club who have. I think Celtic are a bigger club playing at a higher level than we are. I also think they have more money which is presumably why they could offer Shaw more than we did. I don’t think Celtic are big like Man U or Real Madrid but they are one of the biggest fish in their pond. We on the other hand are in serious decline. I saw from your earlier comment you aren’t putting any money into the club right now because of the owner. A club that has alienated loyal fans to that point is not in good shape. 

Yeah, I probably didn’t put my point across very well there, I forget to add that according to some on here, Celtic are miles ahead of Leicester and it was daft to suggest otherwise. I think Celtic have a prestige amongst fans that is no longer justified when you look at where they are today, so the move isn’t perhaps as grand as some are making out - but we will see. Good luck to him 

14 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

I think if you’re going to our games and putting your own money in, it’s counterproductive to encourage our best players to leave. 

You're misreading this entirely

Nobody is encouraging to leave

Everyone is encouraging the club to have the normal things in place so that he wouldn't want to 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Guest T Hardy
Just now, FreshOwl said:

They’re one of the biggest clubs in the world. I honestly don’t get the sour grapes 

Based on fan clubs overseas, stadium and history. Significant facts in determining size for sure and your older fans will tell you matters the most. 

Modern day significance and social media appeal, very minimal 

Just now, T Hardy said:

Yeah, I probably didn’t put my point across very well there, I forget to add that according to some on here, Celtic are miles ahead of Leicester and it was daft to suggest otherwise. I think Celtic have a prestige amongst fans that is no longer justified when you look at where they are today, so the move isn’t perhaps as grand as some are making out - but we will see. Good luck to him 

Fair enough. The money in the Premier League is crazy. That’s why I have said a gamble on one more year with us might have been worth it if a club like Leicester fancied a punt in a years time. A player like Izzy Brown is apparently trousering £26,000 per week. But I think Liam has as much chance of getting to the Prem via Celtic as by staying here. If, as you have said, they play him. 

7 minutes ago, BIG D said:

A move like Leicester is 10 x the move that Celtic is.

Yep.  No one outside of Scotland gives a throw about how many Scottish championships or Scottish cups Celtic or Rangers have won. They're pretty worthless prizes in a 2 horse 'selling plate' race. Ok it gets them access to the qualifying rounds of the Champions League but they don't get much further.

Guest T Hardy
2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You're misreading this entirely

Nobody is encouraging to leave

Everyone is encouraging the club to have the normal things in place so that he wouldn't want to 

2 posters said they’d tell Shaw to leave if they were advising him = encouragement to leave.

I’m not doubting the good intentions on which that advice would be given. I just think if you want Wednesday to be successful and are pumping money into the club, it’s doesn’t really make sense to want your better prospects to leave

4 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

Based on fan clubs overseas, stadium and history. Significant facts in determining size for sure and your older fans will tell you matters the most. 

Modern day significance and social media appeal, very minimal 

You’re talking like he’s signed with them for his entire career 

20 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

Yep

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 13.55.37.jpg

CELTIC FOOTBALL CLUB
Stadium Capacity - 60,411

51 times league winners

40 times scottish cup winners

European Cup Winners

Celtic has developed a fanbase in a number of countries around the world, with over 160 supporters' clubs in over 20 countries around the world.

Research in 2003 by Capita Consulting in conjunction with the Cranfield Institute estimated the worldwide fan base as being around nine million.

It's grown massively since then

Celtic Average Attendances

15/16 Scottish Premiership - 44,967

16/17 Scottish Premiership  - 55,667

17/18 Scottish Premiership -  56,060

18/19 Scottish Premiership  - 57,471

19/20 Scottish Premiership  - 57,944

Celtic and Rangers' average attendances among the highest in the world

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

2 posters said they’d tell Shaw to leave if they were advising him = encouragement to leave.

So would I if I were advising him because it's the right move

Your parents would do the same if it was you too
And you'd do the same if Liam was your kid

Owlstalk Shop