Doncaster view on Darren Moore leaving them

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 11.34.02.jpg

Behind the scenes, it must be said, the concerns over Moore’s future did not arise from the actions of the man himself.

He spoke regularly with those in power about the long term plan the two parties shared, about steadily strengthening the club from top to bottom. And there was a feeling he personally was committed to the cause, not just in the short term.

Rovers turned down an approach from a certain massive-spending League Two outfit in the autumn, largely because Moore had no interest in departing, despite what it would have likely meant for his bank balance.

But there was also an acknowledgement from the Rovers hierarchy that Moore is an ambitious young coach - and with representatives with even more lofty ambitions than him.

Over the last six months or so, his name has been increasingly linked with managerial jobs, often without any real substance. But his name was regularly among the chatter and it does not require too much of a leap to guess who was putting it out there.

Yet, there will not be many people, whatever their allegiance or standing, who are not scratching their heads over Moore’s switch.

From the initial expression of interest on Friday to confirmation on Sunday that he wanted to leave, a few people have been caught off guard simply because the job he has taken is far from attractive at this present time.

A manager who pours over minute details, who genuinely holds long term plans and looks deep into the future, has joined a club lacking anything resembling sustainability.

Moore has jumped from one of the safest jobs in football to one of the least secure. One of his mentors, Tony Pulis, knows all too well of the dangers of walking into Hillsborough at the present time.

That will make the move even harder to take in for those with Rovers tinted spectacles - particularly with Rovers in such a promising position currently.

Recent form has undoubtedly been poor and there are rightly concerns about the depth with which certain on-field issues have taken root. However, sitting sixth in the table, with games in hand over every side above them and plenty of time to play with presents an opportunity for tangible success with an unfancied outfit.

Owlstalk Shop

Guest T Hardy

“One of his mentors, Tony Pulis”

Presumably he’ll have spoken to him about it, can’t imagine glowing reviews from Pulis about us.. I hope Moore knows what he’s getting into and who he’s working for 

54 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

Presumably he’ll have spoken to him about it, can’t imagine glowing reviews from Pulis about us.. I hope Moore knows what he’s getting into and who he’s working for 

"Darren, whatever you do, do not laugh in the face of his 'football advisor'..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

Absolutely this

59 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

Doesn't seem too bitter about his stint here just accepted it didn't work out 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/tony-pulis-sheffield-wednesday-tenure-19936333.amp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

Maybe he's not going to be working for who we think? 🤔

• Like 2

I wouldn’t be happy if I was a Doncaster fan either. The formalities happen over night but the approach doesn’t really in any headhunting situation. Just like Bruce. But at least compensation was paid unlike when some of these youth players are pinched. 

DM did pay tribute to Doncaster in his conference today and whilst he wouldn’t want to say too much he seemed a bit dismissive also which surprised me as he’s been given a decent opportunity there and seemed to have developed a bond with the club and community.Just makes me think we could no doubt be on the receiving end too if DM does well but if he does a good the job in the short term at least it will be mutually beneficial.