BREAKING - Barry Bannan signs new contract till 2023

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I love Bannan and I think we would miss him. But I absolutely agree with this.

We seem to always be looking backwards. We constantly live in the short-term. The future looks bleak.

- He's our best player

- We are skint

- We could be in league 1 next year

- We dont have enough contracted players to put out an 11 next season

- He's only 31 and it's only a 2 year deal.

Not signing him would have been ridiculous. There is absolutely no way we would have got a replacement anywhere near his quality without splashing serious cash. We dont have serious cash.

I really struggle to see how anyone can be unhappy about this. We are going to need to sign a lot of new players over the summer. Having an old head who knows the ropes will be imperative in helping to get the new team gelling and working together. 

Looking to the future doesn't mean you cant sign any older players. In fact they are essential to bringing on and developing the youngsters. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’m happy he’s signed don’t get me wrong. But that’s only because I have no faith in the club to sign a replacement. 

Maybe signing a replacement for one of the championships top performers over the last 4 or 5 seasons isnt that easy. Especially when you have no money. 

6 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

- He's our best player

- We are skint

- We could be in league 1 next year

- We dont have enough contracted players to put out an 11 next season

- He's only 31 and it's only a 2 year deal.

Not signing him would have been ridiculous. There is absolutely no way we would have got a replacement anywhere near his quality without splashing serious cash. We dont have serious cash.

I really struggle to see how anyone can be unhappy about this. We are going to need to sign a lot of new players over the summer. Having an old head who knows the ropes will be imperative in helping to get the new team gelling and working together. 

Looking to the future doesn't mean you cant sign any older players. In fact they are essential to bringing on and developing the youngsters. 

You’ve kind of answered my point in the bullet points.

Happy Bannan has signed. But I think it tells you a lot about the state we’re in. 

6 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I hope Bannan has had some reassurances about recruitment over the summer.

If so things may not be as bleak behind the scenes as we feared.

We'd have had to have an unprecendented turnaround in finances/accounts for that to even be remotely possible

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Chill

OUT

ps - 'shorty' is just a disgusting comment

It's not disgusting,  you may not agree to me calling him that but that in itself does not make it disgusting. 

I called him that because my first thought was Chansiri and why?

Appease  the fans, and like the film, it was a case of,

GET SHORTY.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, daleblue said:

It's not disgusting,  you may not agree to me calling him that but that in itself does not make it disgusting. 

I called him that because my first thought was Chansiri and why?

Appease  the fans, and like the film, it was a case of,

GET SHORTY.

You've descended recently into a poster that just posts offensive stuff pretty much every post you make

Calm it down a bit - that's all I'm saying

You don't have to be controversial

#stayclassy

Owlstalk Shop

30 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

You’ve kind of answered my point in the bullet points.

Happy Bannan has signed. But I think it tells you a lot about the state we’re in. 

Tbf, you would be saying the exact same thing if he had not signed.

• Like 1

If Bannan doesn't sign a new deal then those moaning now would be going on about how it was a sign of where the club is and how we can't keep our best players etc.

There's so much wrong with the club right now, but this is some good positive news.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pieman said:

Blimey. I remember the articles, but I thought the club said they were well wide of the mark. I stand corrected.

In hindsight we should’ve sold. But at the time it wouldn’t be popular and we had the back stop of compensation. Leicester had our pants down on the Leuven thing and even the wider football world found that distasteful.

Loyalty is a rare thing in football these days and it is a great boost for the club that Bannan has signed up again.  He could quite easily have walked into most other championship teams and hopefully he can help secure our position in the championship this season and assist with the rebuilding process.

11 minutes ago, SiJ said:

If Bannan doesn't sign a new deal then those moaning now would be going on about how it was a sign of where the club is and how we can't keep our best players etc.

There's so much wrong with the club right now, but this is some good positive news.

I suppose so. It’s just the timing of it I guess. A day after losing Shaw. That’s where my frustration is coming from. Would much rather we’d sorted Shaw out than Bannan who isn’t going to improve or make us money in the future. 

I think this is where we’ve gone wrong over the years. These type of deals for players heading towards the end of their career. Would much rather we’d cashed in on Bannan last year or the year before and reinvested in a younger more mobile player with his best games ahead of him. That is completely possible, Bannan is class but not irreplaceable. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon

17 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You've descended recently into a poster that just posts offensive stuff pretty much every post you make

Calm it down a bit - that's all I'm saying

You don't have to be controversial

#stayclassy

I say things as I see them, which in hindsight is probably too rich for most people,  what you see is what you get, I think it is only right and fair to give a different view on aspects of our Club, it is after all freedom of speech which must be upheld at all costs,  ruffled feathers is not the be all and end all of any discussion,  I take most of being called names on the chin, it is after all their right to reply in whatever way they wish. 

I will temper my posts but I still believe you must have someone you don't agree with otherwise there is no real dialogue. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daleblue said:

I say things as I see them, which in hindsight is probably too rich for most people,  what you see is what you get, I think it is only right and fair to give a different view on aspects of our Club, it is after all freedom of speech which must be upheld at all costs,  ruffled feathers is not the be all and end all of any discussion,  I take most of being called names on the chin, it is after all their right to reply in whatever way they wish. 

I will temper my posts but I still believe you must have someone you don't agree with otherwise there is no real dialogue. 

Agreeing/Disagreeing with people on subjects is fine/normal

Calling people names isn't - that's just being orrible to another human 

Owlstalk Shop