BREAKING - Barry Bannan signs new contract till 2023

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Shaw has his entire career ahead of him - he's not even got started yet

Bannan is in his twilight years, he's coming to a close, and he's in a comfort zone

I find it strange that the majority of people on here believe this is a good signing,  overall I think it's a poor state of play when a Club keeps hold of a middle of the road player because they can't do better,  says more about the Club than Shorty.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
17 minutes ago, daleblue said:

No.

Nothing personal mate but anyone who doesn’t like Bannan know me nothing about football!

Edited by Kagoshimaowl

I must be one of those know nothing fools, as I think this is a backwards move by us. I was rather hoping we’d move forward into a new look midfield with younger players who are more well rounded, likely to develop and offer some potential upside. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Guest mrbluesky
6 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

Bannan being out best player isn't a compliment, the entire team is garbage 

Bannan is currently on a goal contribution every 5 games 

Saying he is a top end midfielder is actually laughable 

Yep, must agree on part of this, if we'd  improved the squad over the years maybe Bannan wouldn't be such a pivotal player, I personally think his game has suffered because these days he's looking  for that one pass to open teams up, instead of having a team around him for support, at times he is the team, and that for me is a sad indictment of where we once were. 

9 hours ago, Minton said:

You were the one telling people to do the maths.

If you're number dyslexic, why would you be slagging other people over numbers?

Glass houses spring to mind. 

Slagging barely.If you consider me saying check your maths as slagging then I'd hate to think what you'd think if I really went to town

I mean I could have been REALLY condescending like you were in your response to me. 

But I accept your apology and we can now move on from this

8 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

Bannan being out best player isn't a compliment, the entire team is garbage 

Bannan is currently on a goal contribution every 5 games 

Saying he is a top end midfielder is actually laughable 

In a better team, he'd have more movement in front of him to aim for; more teammates capable of shouldering the burden of trying to create chances; and perhaps even players looking to pick him out on occasion, rather than the other way around.

If Brentford had managed to sign him in the summer, I don't doubt he'd have better goal contribution stats than he does here, due to all of the above.

We over rely on him, whereas in a good team he'd be one threat among many, as he was for us in his first couple of seasons here.

We could get rid of him, but I reckon it's a better idea to keep him and try to raise the standard of those around him again instead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Nothing personal mate but anyone who doesn’t like Bannan know me nothing about football!

If that is your answer to our Club treading water, with a player who and let's be honest is not best or even average midfield player currently in the Championship, then it says a lot about your knowledge. 

And who needs to like a player?

I neither like or dislike shorty.

8 minutes ago, daleblue said:

If that is your answer to our Club treading water, with a player who and let's be honest is not best or even average midfield player currently in the Championship, then it says a lot about your knowledge. 

And who needs to like a player?

I neither like or dislike shorty.

Chill

OUT

ps - 'shorty' is just a disgusting comment

Owlstalk Shop

With Bannan signed and so many players out of contract we should really look to build around him, bringing in players that will help him create and retain ball better. At least I hope that will be aim we will work towards. No point having him here as probably our highest paid player just to knock long balls over his head for 90 minutes. 

• Love 1

If the rest of our squad was up to Bannan's quality we would be sat in the play off position.

Speaks volumes about his loyalty by signing when we are in a precarious position.

I don't mind replacing the old guard with better signings but we haven't done that convincingly yet

so I'm happy he resigned.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, daleblue said:

I find it strange that the majority of people on here believe this is a good signing,  overall I think it's a poor state of play when a Club keeps hold of a middle of the road player because they can't do better,  says more about the Club than Shorty.

I love Bannan and I think we would miss him. But I absolutely agree with this.

We seem to always be looking backwards. We constantly live in the short-term. The future looks bleak.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We seem to always be looking backwards. We constantly live in the short-term. The future looks bleak.

How is this looking backwards? We kept one of our better players for a couple of seasons, if we go down he's now got a sale value. 

You been on about the Shaw contract situation since it happened, surely if we go down being able to command a fee for Bannan is better than him walking away for nothing.

An old head to guide a team of younger players, phasing him out as we get someone better.

There are a lot of sticks to beat the club with at the moment but I don't see this as one of them

• Like 7