BREAKING - Barry Bannan signs new contract till 2023

Just now, Gob_Bluth said:

How is this looking backwards? We kept one of our better players for a couple of seasons, if we go down he's now got a sale value. 

You been on about the Shaw contract situation since it happened, surely if we go down being able to command a fee for Bannan is better than him walking away for nothing.

An old head to guide a team of younger players, phasing him out as we get someone better.

There are a lot of sticks to beat the club with at the moment but I don't see this as one of them

I’m happy he’s signed don’t get me wrong. But that’s only because I have no faith in the club to sign a replacement. 

I suppose what I’m trying to get at is handing contracts out to 30+ year olds who’s best years have past them. Meanwhile we’re letting our promising young players who could secure us financially for absolutely nothing.

The priorities are all wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Why don’t you ask your mate David?

I've seen Hirsty quite a lot knocking about at games over the years  and every time I see him he's with a little chappie who resembles what only can be described a 5ft 4" Paul Weller tribute act ...

With the customary "Welleresque" haircut styled with a knife & Fork that looks like it's been  dyed with Ribena ........

Got the "Liam" swagger n all ......

Sid.png.6418c7b27166ed09220ee87f47053b01.png

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’m happy he’s signed don’t get me wrong. But that’s only because I have no faith in the club to sign a replacement. 

I suppose what I’m trying to get at is handing contracts out to 30+ year olds who’s best years have past them. Meanwhile we’re letting our promising young players who could secure us financially for absolutely nothing.

The priorities are all wrong. 

That's a completely separate issue though and I do agree with you on that.

I don't agree his best years are past him, he's a deep laying playmaker, his game has never been about pace, power or athleticism, things that drop off with age. I think whilst he'll get less mobile, the things about his game, finding space, picking out a pass will only get better

How many times in football have we seen an aging midfielder whose legs have gone, not move from the area between defence and the centre spot and absolutely dominate games with experience and guile, Bannan could 100% be one of those players. 

I know we take the ******** about the club not having plans, but we don't - we have no clue who is going to get brought in or what the team will look like next season, the cynic in me things it's going to get worse before it's going to get better, the positive side of me thinks maybe next season will be better and we'll start to crawl out of the pit

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gob_Bluth said:

That's a completely separate issue though and I do agree with you on that.

I don't agree his best years are past him, he's a deep laying playmaker, his game has never been about pace, power or athleticism, things that drop off with age. I think whilst he'll get less mobile, the things about his game, finding space, picking out a pass will only get better

How many times in football have we seen an aging midfielder whose legs have gone, not move from the area between defence and the centre spot and absolutely dominate games with experience and guile, Bannan could 100% be one of those players. 

I know we take the ******** about the club not having plans, but we don't - we have no clue who is going to get brought in or what the team will look like next season, the cynic in me things it's going to get worse before it's going to get better, the positive side of me thinks maybe next season will be better and we'll start to crawl out of the pit

I agree with your assessment on Bannan as a player. But I think it’s just the principle of relying heavily on players from 5/6 years ago. We recalled Westwood, resigned Hutchison, new deal for Bazza and possibly one for Lees. I just can’t see us progressing until we move on from this era and start with a new slate. 

But at the same time I have no faith we’d be able to find the younger and fitter versions of the players mentioned. 

So yeah not really sure how I feel about it to be honest. Bannan has been excellent for us. But in an ideal world I’d have cashed in last summer and used that money to find his replacement. 

Guaranteed there will be a buy out clause in his new contract that clubs can meet if we go down, probably £500k-£1m.  So him signing a new contract is a good move.  And if no one wants him then he will be too good for league 1 and our club captain too so all good in my book.  

12 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I meant we turned down £2m for Hirst mate. We should have bit Leicester’s hands off at the time considering the player didn’t want to be here.

As for Shaw, I’ve heard the initial offer wasn’t very good at all. Not sure if we then matched Celtic’s or not. But that’s besides the point I’m making. Once he broke into the first team he should have been under contract to ensure if anyone did want him, they’d have to pay us a decent fee.

As for resale value. Who knows? One thing for sure is we won’t benefit from his potential if he fulfils it. Pretty sickening don’t you think for a lad we’ve had at the club since he was 9? 

Without knowing what’s been offered by us and Celtic I can’t make a call. I’d play for us ahead of a higher wage elsewhere but I’ve been watching us for nearly 40 years.

Celtic may waste millions of pounds in wages over the next three years if he doesn’t improve. They’re buying potential. 

I wouldn’t have sold Hirst for £2m at the time. I thought he looked the real deal. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I can’t remember many owls fans calling for us to sell Hirst for any amount of money. 

it’s a similar scenario to when DC was paying the big fees and wages for players. Nobody moaned until it was obvious we wouldn’t get promoted with that squad. 

damned if he spends the money on contracts, damned if he doesn’t. 

it’s all about judgement. 

we’ve signed loads of players on big money who have been dogger, as have the likes of Man U and Liverpool. 

Really don't understand why people would want to let Bannan leave.

If he did leave he'd get into a top Championship side, so if he's good enough for them why isn't he good enough for us?

Who are going to replace him with?

And surely if we ever did get a replacement as good as what Bannan has been for the club, wouldn't it be better to play alongside Bannan?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bluewings said:

If the rest of our squad was up to Bannan's quality we would be sat in the play off position.

Speaks volumes about his loyalty by signing when we are in a precarious position.

I don't mind replacing the old guard with better signings but we haven't done that convincingly yet

so I'm happy he resigned.

If only our players were clever enough to stand in front of the first defender on corners then they might get their head onto one of Barry's set peices.

25 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I love Bannan and I think we would miss him. But I absolutely agree with this.

We seem to always be looking backwards. We constantly live in the short-term. The future looks bleak.

We will be looking backwards once Barry starts passing back to our defenders.

8 minutes ago, Sweet Shezza said:

Without knowing what’s been offered by us and Celtic I can’t make a call. I’d play for us ahead of a higher wage elsewhere but I’ve been watching us for nearly 40 years.

Celtic may waste millions of pounds in wages over the next three years if he doesn’t improve. They’re buying potential. 

I wouldn’t have sold Hirst for £2m at the time. I thought he looked the real deal. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I can’t remember many owls fans calling for us to sell Hirst for any amount of money. 

it’s a similar scenario to when DC was paying the big fees and wages for players. Nobody moaned until it was obvious we wouldn’t get promoted with that squad. 

damned if he spends the money on contracts, damned if he doesn’t. 

it’s all about judgement. 

we’ve signed loads of players on big money who have been dogger, as have the likes of Man U and Liverpool. 

I would have sold him. 

My issue with hindsight is this - fans like you and me aren’t aware of clubs finances or what is needed to avoid trouble with the league and stay on the right side of FFP. 

The chairman knew and had the responsibility. In the summer of 2017 he would have known after 2 years of heavy spending we were about to encounter problems with FFP. And subsequently this rang true as the following spring/summer we were hit with a transfer embargo. Therefore rejecting  bids for a player like Hirst who had hardly played a professional game and had no intention to stay AND in the last year of his contract - is completely nonsensical. Rejecting a bid from Fulham for FF that summer seems crazy now too?

Yes at the time fans didn’t know the financial implications of these decisions. How could we? We don’t get to see the finances. We’re just putting our faith in a chairman who we thought knew what he was doing. 

That’s why I have no issues being critical in hindsight. If I knew successive transfer embargo’s, selling the stadium and a points deduction were on the horizon I would have wanted the chairman to sell sell sell. 

Guest mrbluesky
5 hours ago, daleblue said:

I find it strange that the majority of people on here believe this is a good signing,  overall I think it's a poor state of play when a Club keeps hold of a middle of the road player because they can't do better,  says more about the Club than Shorty.

Apparently DC said to him "It's either you or Andrea Joey Pirlo getting the wonga!!"

Guest mrbluesky
3 hours ago, Paul.. said:

Some good news coming out of the club at last! Best player we've had for years.

1 hour ago, daleblue said:

If that is your answer to our Club treading water, with a player who and let's be honest is not best or even average midfield player currently in the Championship, then it says a lot about your knowledge. 

And who needs to like a player?

I neither like or dislike shorty.

lol:duntmatter:

Guest mrbluesky
46 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Can anyone good at animation get the clip from wolf of Wall Street ‘im not f*cking leaving’ and put bannans head on it 

No.

Guest Willow Owl
12 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

Bannan being out best player isn't a compliment, the entire team is garbage 

Bannan is currently on a goal contribution every 5 games 

Saying he is a top end midfielder is actually laughable 

A lot of the team have nowhere near Bannan’s ability that’s true. He’s still our best player and how does getting rid of your best player help ?

Anyone who has the slightest football knowledge knows that Bannan has been a top end championship player since he’s been with us.

Suppose it comes down to knowledge and what is actually laughable.