Swansea game called off

2 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

I am sure matches have been played on days much colder than this. However, I'm not down on the pitch at Hillsborough right now so I can't assess whether the pitch is playable or not. I'm sure that's the important factor, not the current air temperature.

who knows if the undersoil heating has even been used for 2-3 years , if the pitch was covered it would have stopped most of the problems with freezing and kept the snow off , but during the 2nd half it snowed quite heavily in freezing conditions on an already poor pitch , you cant suddenly chuck back on the covers then . i walk the dog and ive not seen the ground as rock hard as this for many years . does anyone actually knows when the undersoil heating was last used? 

Just out of interest (I haven't trawled through the entire thread so please forgive me if I've missed it), have the club officially offered an explanation as to why the undersoil heating hasn't done its job? Presumably they'll have to explain to the EFL. I think I remember that a few years ago some Premier League matches were postponed at grounds where undersoil heating was in place and there was some kind of investigation by the Premier League.

Just now, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Bet in won't be this time tomorrow

ice takes a lot longer to defrost than snow ,even if game was on monday plus 10c it would be touch and go if it went ahead ,the ground temperature is much lower than the air temperature . it takes 2 days to defrost a turkey but if you scrapped out the fluffy ice out of your freezer that would soon melt. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Am sure stoke would have been happy to move to wednesday.

Why wouldn't they?

They’ll have a game the following Saturday and it may mean changing the officials and the staff that are booked to work that night.

I’m sure they could have sorted but maybe they didn’t want to move a game just because we can’t sort our pitch out for today 

2 minutes ago, morganowl said:

ice takes a lot longer to defrost than snow ,even if game was on monday plus 10c it would be touch and go if it went ahead ,the ground temperature is much lower than the air temperature . it takes 2 days to defrost a turkey but if you scrapped out the fluffy ice out of your freezer that would soon melt. 

Sounds like we need undersoil heating turning on - that heats up to 40 degrees

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, punkskaphil said:

Genuine question: if a club has undersoil heating, are they actually required to have it turned on? I mean is there an actual rule that means having an existing (and presumably operational) system in place it must be used, or is it down to the club's discretion?

I think it's down to the club's discretion and if they want to or not 
There's no law to even have undersoiil heating in the game I don't think from what I read yesterday

Owlstalk Shop

26 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Seriously though
Dont you think that we've played matches on days even colder than this just fine? In weeks of even colder weather?

I know we have for sure - I once sat on the West Upper during a match in minus 12 temperatures a few seasons ago

We nearly always play in temperatures/weeks lower than this

Today is normal February day

This week has been a normal February week

lol

Why is everyone suddenly trying to convince each other we can't play at minus 1 degrees?

It's utterly baffling

Totally bizarre

I'm literally two minutes from Hillsborough

It's fine here!

The excuses people are going to is absolutely mental.

But then if you question why the club can’t get the game on you get shot down with people accusing you of being negative etc etc. And then they’ll try to convince you that Sheffield is absolutely freezing and Nottingham which is about an hour away have had sunshine and rainbows.

How come us and Rotherham are the only teams in the league who can’t get the game on today.

lol

2 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Genuine question: if a club has undersoil heating, are they actually required to have it turned on? I mean is there an actual rule that means having an existing (and presumably operational) system in place it must be used, or is it down to the club's discretion?

I was thinking that. Clubs could use it to their advantage if they want a game called off. Would the league look at why a club with undersoil heating is postponing a game for a frozen pitch?

4 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Just googled that

While it is not an official requirement, it avoids any financial loss that a club might face in having to postpone any matches due to bad weather.

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The excuses people are going to is absolutely mental.

But then if you question why the club can’t get the game on you get shot down with people accusing you of being negative etc etc. And then they’ll try to convince you that Sheffield is absolutely freezing and Nottingham which is about an hour away have had sunshine and rainbows.

How come us and Rotherham are the only teams in the league who can’t get the game on today.

lol

A lot closer than Forest’s ground like....

CE9F4F00-C473-4D4E-BDEB-F9E525E5509C.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sonofbert2 said:

A lot closer than Forest’s ground like....

CE9F4F00-C473-4D4E-BDEB-F9E525E5509C.jpeg

Your point literally makes no sense

Clubs all over the country are currently playing just fine

We have always played just fine in temperatures of -1 to -20 

We've never had this issue before

Rotherham don't have undersoil heating

Owlstalk Shop