Swansea game called off

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

The way people are going on like this is a good thing, I’m fully expecting us to absolute batter Stoke. If we don’t, it will turn out a shame this game didn’t go ahead. A chance to carry on our excellent home form.

And yes it’s the EFL’s decision if it’s postponed.

It was just the other day NT was saying how knackered everyone was ...I know what your saying regarding carrying on the good run ...I thought that at 2pm last Saturday too.

1 minute ago, TaxiMark said:

Why is it ? They weren't expected to beat Man City who are in magnificent form. Swanseas league form currently is really good and I wasn't really looking forward to this game so with the Stoke game coming up this might be a well earned rest for that game, let's just hope Stoke have a few suspensions and injuries today.

By the way I think its the EFL that makes the final decision isn't it ? 

The referee conducts the pitch inspection and makes the decision.

We are seemingly the only team in the top 2 divisions that have undersoil heating installed but have called the game off.

Of course Swansea weren't expected to beat Man City but having more than half their team chase the best team in the country around for 90 minutes a few days before playing us would surely have worked in our favour, they have also had a tough run of other games recently which would catch up with them at some point. 

Yes the rest before Stoke may do us good but as and when the Swansea game is rearranged, our next opponents following that are likely to have the benefit of more rest than us at that time.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The referee conducts the pitch inspection and makes the decision.

We are seemingly the only team in the top 2 divisions that have undersoil heating installed but have called the game off.

Of course Swansea weren't expected to beat Man City but having more than half their team chase the best team in the country around for 90 minutes a few days before playing us would surely have worked in our favour, they have also had a tough run of other games recently which would catch up with them at some point. 

Yes the rest before Stoke may do us good but as and when the Swansea game is rearranged, our next opponents following that are likely to have the benefit of more rest than us at that time.

You can look at it both ways can't you, but the decision has been made - clearly our undersoil heating isn't in working order otherwise this wouldn't be off? Or NT has new injuries and has told Steve Kiddy to break the heating.

1 minute ago, TaxiMark said:

You can look at it both ways can't you, but the decision has been made - clearly our undersoil heating isn't in working order otherwise this wouldn't be off? Or NT has new injuries and has told Steve Kiddy to break the heating.

Steve Kiddy walked out a few years back

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Steve Kiddy was a 10 out of 10 top bloke too
Big loss to our club when he didn't want to be here anymore

He was fed up (I believe) at not getting help from the club.

One of the gripes was the light lamps. I think we ended up being GIVEN one from the manufacturing company.

We were skint then tho';-)

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2015/may/foundations-in-place-for-new-desso-pitch/

Site manager Nick Danvers said: “We’re into our second week and we’ve got the formation level, with all the drainage in and part of the irrigation complete.

“After this, we will look at the possibility of putting a gravel carpet down because it is very stoney, it actually stands on an old river bed. Then, the under soil heating will go on with the root zones and sand on top of it.

“The majority of Premier League clubs have got the Desso system installed for the playability, knowing it will be an even playing surface throughout the winter.”

https://youtu.be/PdB8N6WZu3c

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Which is a pretty sad state of affairs if so. 

7 minutes ago, FopD said:

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2015/may/foundations-in-place-for-new-desso-pitch/

Site manager Nick Danvers said: “We’re into our second week and we’ve got the formation level, with all the drainage in and part of the irrigation complete.

“After this, we will look at the possibility of putting a gravel carpet down because it is very stoney, it actually stands on an old river bed. Then, the under soil heating will go on with the root zones and sand on top of it.

“The majority of Premier League clubs have got the Desso system installed for the playability, knowing it will be an even playing surface throughout the winter.”

https://youtu.be/PdB8N6WZu3c

It sounds like they simply replace the pitch sub-surface pipework and not the boiler. It appears the boiler has failed and has been down since before the Wycombe game.

Shocking really for a multi-million pound turnover Championship club, but are we surprise.

But yeah, let's all have a rest...

1 hour ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

if the soil is like concrete, do you seriously think that a few hours approaching 5deg on Sunday will cure things?

Reminds me of the golfers who cannot see white frost on the greens, and get the mump on when temps are in use.

If it's 5 degrees most of tomorrow as forecast then pitch could easily be playable by tea time, say a 5pm kick off.

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Steve Kiddy was a 10 out of 10 top bloke too
Big loss to our club when he didn't want to be here anymore

I was talking to him not long before he left. I was trying to talk him in to loosening the tension of the nets so that the ball didn't bounce out. He was having none of it. He said, if you have a saggy net roof the goalkeepers might get their gloves caught in it! And, the only thing worse than a saggy roof is a flat roof!!

I think he said he was going to work for Desso, or some other turf management company.

He also said, 'It pains me to say it, but the amount of money that needs spending on this place, it would be cheaper to build a new ground'.

• Thanks 1