Swansea game called off

18 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Do  you know if the club covered the pitch and turned on the undersoil heatiing after the match to combat that?

(I don't - which is why I'm asking)

if it costs a high amount to run then im pretty sure it would not have been switched on . fairly sure the pitch was covered by sheeting pre game . also fairly sure rotherham have undersoil heating and they had the same snow showers on tuesday during there game . its certainly a cost thing , whether it needs fixing with a new part or not.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, morganowl said:

if it costs a high amount to run then im pretty sure it would not have been switched on . fairly sure the pitch was covered by sheeting pre game . also fairly sure rotherham have undersoil heating and they had the same snow showers on tuesday during there game . its certainly a cost thing , whether it needs fixing with a new part or not.

WAIT A MINUTE

STOP THE THREAD

Rotherham have undersoil heating??????

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Sheffield people - look out of your windows, go and stand outside for second, then come back in and tell me of any other time a day like today has seen a game called off

I'm in S6 and it's a normal February matchday

If you listen to some fans on here S6 is in a micro-climate where it’s colder than the rest of the country.

It’s an ideal day for football today 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Sheffield people - look out of your windows, go and stand outside for second, then come back in and tell me of any other time a day like today has seen a game called off

its currently -1c air temp and the dew temp(ground temperature) is -7c thats the coldest its been since 2018 . anyone wants to chuck some cold water on there drive come back an house later you can go ice skating .  someone might know how much and how long in these conditions you need the undersoil heating on? 

• Like 1

Just now, morganowl said:

its currently -1c air temp and the dew temp(ground temperature) is -7c thats the coldest its been since 2018 . anyone wants to chuck some cold water on there drive come back an house later you can go ice skating .  someone might know how much and how long in these conditions you need the undersoil heating on? 

I reckon you would get the most accurate answer by simply asking one of the many clubs (basically everyone else) in the Championship who are kicking off as we speak to play their match on a perfectly normal footballing day

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Tell the EFL quick and they'll get the match back on.

Just now, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Can't believe we didn't try to move to tomorrow. 

What for?
Do you live in Sheffield?
Just nip outside and tell me any other time a match has been called off on a day like this

There's no need to move the game, cancel it or postpone it

Today is a perfectly normal day

As we can see by every other Championship team playing right now

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Tell the EFL quick and they'll get the match back on.

Seriously though
Dont you think that we've played matches on days even colder than this just fine? In weeks of even colder weather?

I know we have for sure - I once sat on the West Upper during a match in minus 12 temperatures a few seasons ago

We nearly always play in temperatures/weeks lower than this

Today is normal February day

This week has been a normal February week

lol

Why is everyone suddenly trying to convince each other we can't play at minus 1 degrees?

It's utterly baffling

Totally bizarre

I'm literally two minutes from Hillsborough

It's fine here!

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

What for?
Just nip outside and tell me any other time a match has been called off on a day like this

It's stupid today's game Vis not going a head.  Even more daft not been moved to tomorrow

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I reckon you would get the most accurate answer by simply asking one of the many clubs (basically everyone else) in the Championship who are kicking off as we speak to play their match on a perfectly normal footballing day

Cos they have had undersoil heating on, pitches covered. Seems fairly obvious to me

• Like 1

What for?

It's almost as though they called the match off yesterday.

Anyway, I'm at the Rotherham game right now and players are out there warming up on this balmy afternoon. Reckon they'll be needing refreshment breaks mid-way through the halves.

1 minute ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Can't believe we didn't try to move to tomorrow.

Lincoln have done it and rearranged their game to 6pm tomorrow, with forecast that should be ample time to get game on.

there have been a few games rearranged 24 hours later in last few weeks . but hour by hour temp aint going to get much above freezing till 3-4pm tomorrow and the ground is like rock at min will take a good 48hours to defrost , bet the plumbers will be loaded this week with all the pipes snapping, i remember 3 years ago nearly everyone i know had issues with the condense pipes freezing up. 

• Like 1

Seriously though
Dont you think that we've played matches on days even colder than this just fine? In weeks of even colder weather?

I know we have for sure - I once sat on the West Upper during a match in minus 12 temperatures a few seasons ago

We nearly always play in temperatures/weeks lower than this

Today is normal February day

This week has been a normal February week

lol

Why is everyone suddenly trying to convince each other we can't play at minus 1 degrees?

It's utterly baffling

Totally bizarre

I'm literally two minutes from Hillsborough

It's fine here!

I am sure matches have been played on days much colder than this. However, I'm not down on the pitch at Hillsborough right now so I can't assess whether the pitch is playable or not. I'm sure that's the important factor, not the current air temperature.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

I am sure matches have been played on days much colder than this. However, I'm not down on the pitch at Hillsborough right now so I can't assess whether the pitch is playable or not. I'm sure that's the important factor, not the current air temperature.

Obviously - never suggested otherwise

But we have undersoil heating

We've had undersoil heating on those days you say have been played on days much colder than this

It's a perfectly normal day here in S6

Owlstalk Shop