Liam Shaw in advanced talks with Celtic

1 minute ago, Kew Owl said:

Yes, Shaw is still very much a work in progress - but we should be investing in people like him, not donkeys like Paterson and Marriott.

We offered Pelupessy a 1 year extension in the summer. Why? When we could have offered Shaw a new two year deal. I hazard a guess that Shaw would have signed it in the summer.

9 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Why is there only one club in for him?? Is there a genuine interest from celtic or is it his agent trying to bump up a contract offer?

I’d wager there’s a few more clubs than just Celtic, but they are the biggest hitters and seem further along in the process 

1 hour ago, Minton said:

I don't understand this bizarre assumption a lot of people seem to make. Just because a player hasn't signed a new contract it doesn't mean we haven't offered one. 

As for it being pointless to have the academy: We still get compensation plus a sell-on clause (albeit less than a full transfer) and we also get development sell-on clauses from any transfer before a certain age I believe. So even after he moved for the 3rd, 4th or 5th time, we would get a (diminishing) fee as well. Hardly pointless.

How much does the academy cost us?

I think you’ve got to remember, regardless of anything ,  Celtic will blow us out of the water wages wise no matter what we put infront of him 

And nobody needs any hints/tips as to what his advisors will be telling him 

It is what it is 

Guest Smackavolley
17 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I don’t think you’re seeing the bigger picture mate. We should be VERY concerned that yet again the club has failed to tie down the contract of a promising young player. A player who we could have sold for good money further down the line.

This is the another indication that the chairman is out of his depth. And more worryingly hasn’t learnt from the first time this happened.

I don't think he'll be the only one. It appears they've not tied any of these youngsters down who are coming out of contract. 

Taking the fact away that he’s a Wednesday fan, can anyone blame him for moving?

Ask yourself this, if you were a Wednesday fan playing for the club, and were privy to all the mess we find ourselves in, would you stay? 

I’d be off like a rocket 

Edited by FreshOwl

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

He’s daft if he goes to Celtic,  but that’s modern day football 

He will be ‘advised’ to chase the money, it’s that simple 

Daft if we're offering £3k a week and a 2 year deal, but they're offering £5k and 3 years?

This is a guess the way- just trying to illustrate my point.

2 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Daft? Young, Tall & talented Englishman bossing it in Celtic’s midfield. 

It will gain him interest from the PL and clubs like Southampton would be all over that 

Just now, FreshOwl said:

Daft? Young, Tall & talented Englishman bossing it in Celtic’s midfield. 

It will gain him interest from the PL and clubs like Southampton would be all over that 

Bossing celtics midfield ?   Let’s calm down ,  couple of good games 

Needs to show a bit more for me before I’m convinced he’s the real deal,  Alex Hunt had a couple of decent games when he first showed up and now looks league one/two standard 

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

Bossing celtics midfield ?   Let’s calm down ,  couple of good games 

Needs to show a bit more for me before I’m convinced he’s the real deal,  Alex Hunt had a couple of decent games when he first showed up and now looks league one/two standard 

It’s a farmers league and worse than what we play in now, and he’s only going to get much better, playing for a club like Celtic will naturally elevate his game 

Edited by FreshOwl

35 minutes ago, markg said:

I agree in terms of there is no guarantee that he will make it and the player going in itself might not be the end of the world. I think that the issue is that it is another example of us not building anything sustainable. Ideally he would have been tied down to a longer contract earlier on, made a few appearances and got rave reviews. We then sell to a club offering a decent amount and re-invest the money. It's what clubs in our current position do and should be doing in the current climate. 

The club may not exist if we go down and dont think Shaw going will make a difference in the long run. We are in this mess because we have failed to sell on players. I agree it dont look good but who can blame him and furthermore we have no idea what his agent has been demanding.

Think though going north of the border my fill his wallet but dont think it will do much for his development. If he goes good luck to him but he would be better off with a club in the championship imo.

12 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

See I’d think he’s incredibly sensible if he went to Celtic. Who’s to say he won’t break into their first team? He might just prove you wrong. He’s had no trouble settling into ours.

20 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We offered Pelupessy a 1 year extension in the summer. Why? When we could have offered Shaw a new two year deal. I hazard a guess that Shaw would have signed it in the summer.

Because Pelupessy was a first team squad member at the time and Shaw was a player who may or may not have gone on to progress in the first team. 

There is alot of why didn't we offer him this and that last year and why didn't we see this coming.

My guess is nobody thought he would go on to have the impact he has had in the first team. So like all the other previous times why would you sign up someone that hasn't played in the first team yet that might not be any good.  More unlucky on our part that he has had the brilliant few months and has attracted the interest he has, rather than poor planning.